ASL Tactics Section?

Do we need an ASL Strategy/Tactics section in these Forums?

• Yes

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 24.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
If you hadn't noticed, the ASL Forum itself is a sub sub sub forum of Warfare HQ already! :)

Really, we're only talking about adding one more sub sub sub sub sub forum.

Last edited:

Keet

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
bennyb said:
That sounds like a good compromise even though I don't think it's an intuitive place to put it. May I also suggest that the description be altered for Rules and Errata from

"Discuss ASL rules and errata here. The Perry Sez collection is located inside as well."

to something like:

"ASL rules, errata and tactical discussion. The Perry Sez collection is located inside as well."

I feel there needs to be something to draw one's attentioon to it from the main forum or it will be doomed from the start.

Ben

Good Grief man, you want your cake and eat it too? :laugh: I'm just starting in this ASL thing myself and I think your idea of a Tactics subforum makes sense. I've read some articles, lurked on here & the ASLML, and picked up ideas as I go. But having a central place for tactics makes some sense.

On the other hand, the clutter from extra subforums & a general lack of "tactics" discussion makes the objections to this logical as well. The "sub-sub" forum is a good compromise.

New people SHOULD check out all the parts of this forum and educate themselves first!! After they've clicked on the RULES forum a few times they'll KNOW that's where the tactics stuff is.

This is exactly why many Grogs immediately respond to questions with the answer "look at the FAQ". Not the most polite way to start out, but if the answer is there & they just haven't looked....well what'd you expect?

If anything, just name the sub forum "RULES"...nothing else is needed. Researching the different aspects of the forum WILL self-educate the new user. I mean, I found this whole site without "ASL" having to be in the name.

No flames intended dude, I just think the admins are making a good compromise here. Kudos to you for asking in the first place.

jk

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Its not just benny, i'd like a little more tactics discussions too - so THERE. And i'm not even a newbie. THHPPPPTTPTT

da priest

Reaction score
Jay White said:
Its not just benny, i'd like a little more tactics discussions too - so THERE. And i'm not even a newbie. THHPPPPTTPTT
OK, who gave this guy his "Not a Newbie" Certificate?

Anyone? Bueller?:devil:

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think it is a good idea to have this subforum. I am not sure what the big deal is against it. It will just be more organized and easier to access, no?

Oliver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Personally, I love ASL tactical theory and discussions about ASL tactics."

I admire that, and yet, that's why I'm surprised that you, of all people, would be so resistant to something intended to encourage such discussions, Mark.

A new thread or sub-sub folder does seem like a good compromise. It seems like a worthwhile experiment. Try it and see where it goes.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oliver, I am against it because I think it is counter-productive. I think it would, first of all, ghettoize such discussions, and secondly, reduce the # of people participating in them because a lot of people don't regularly visit the subforums, much less (as was proposed yesterday) a sub sub forum.

I think people who are interested in discussions of ASL tactics would much better serve themselves and everyone else similarly interested if they simply started tactically-themed threads in the main ASL forum.

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes

I think a separate Tactics forum would be a great idea. I don't want to have to search through the discussions of who is the ASL man of the year, which people are fighting over IFT/IIFT, etc, to find out good stuff that helps me to play this game better. If anything, those discussion should be moved to a separate OFF-Topic forum.

One of the arguments made against a Tactics forum is that there would be no traffic. So I will try to start some threads with the TACTICS in the main subject header, and see what happens. If the crickets start chirping, then we'll admit it was a terrible idea.

But if the choice is between no Tactics forum and having the Tactics forum hiding somewhere in the Rules & Errata section, then don't do it.

I'm a scientist, might as well run the experiment and see what happens...

bennyb

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Good idea Tork. Individual threads for specific scenarios is a great idea too, something I hadn't thought of. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if a Tactics section became more popular than any other sub-forum on the site.

Being an engineer myself though I'm skeptical of your test given it is not being conducted under controlled conditions. You risk undermining your scientific credibility :laugh:

Ben