AAR for The Schoolhouse

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't find one anywhere for this bit of DASL hooliganism, need a little help.

The Russians are favored 31/17, I of course drew the Germans... :) Since this is my first non playtest scenario since Chicago last year I am still looking forward to it, balance be damned!

I'm looking to learn from others mistakes however...

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You've already made the BIG one!

As I recall this scenario, you've already made the biggest mistake by getting the Germs.

I seem to recall a suggestion by somebody that the Russian reinforcements should be given to the germans, AND then we'd have a game!

A decent Ruskie will force you to keep the Elephants moving (to reduce DI attempts) and that means your infantry will be trying to forge ahead on their own.

Whatever the balance is for the Germs you should definitely get it. Good luck!

JT

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seems to be my take on it as well...hmmph.

That's what I get for agreeing to a scenario while concentrating on another!

I like a challenge anyway. The 17 others that have reported a win cheer me on.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First To Strike

If it's not too late you might want to change to "First To Strike".

That's also from SoF and I would say the even balance on ROAR is a pretty good reflection of it.

Also... if you are just really looking to play something meaty and fun and don't really care that you might lose:

Preparing The Way, and Little Stalingrad would be my picks before The School House.

Both of them are tough on Germs, but at least they are not as frustrating.

Little Stalingrad is a REAL challenge for the German player as the Russians just keep getting stronger and stronger. You are SS though so you if you can keep your lines intact you get the opportunity to fall back and rally.

JT

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Preparing The Way"

I muttered something about this. I love that scenario. I put all 3 of the T-34s in one basement years ago while playing this but that is another story.

I was ass deep in the last 2 turns of a tight CG during the "scenario selection phase". Safe to say that my attention was not on what I was playing next. Neither one of us had access to a computer at the time, I don't think he was sharking me by any stretch. He pulled his OB, did his setup and then pulled mine. We'll go ahead and play it, what the hell.

Still looking for an AAR. Hopefully not all of them finish with "don'y play this barking dog"....

Nikon53

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here you go Darrell: The Schoolhouse

The more experienced player should take the Germans, especially if Sisler is involved. In fact, if the Russian has never played a game of ASL it would be better.

Don't get the Elephants recalled by the Russian Sniper like Sisler's Sniper recalled two of mine.........just trying to eek out one more little bit of an edge and look what happens.

When you get to The Schoolhouse itself and find Sisler there with his god-forsaking ATG's with unending ROF, go around it.

Come to think of it, if Sisler is anywhere near you when playing this scenario, feign a headache and retire.

Did I mention my past game vs Bill Sisler?

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Don't get the Elephants recalled by the Russian Sniper like Sisler's Sniper recalled two of mine........."

CE, non-turretted, no MG having, Elefants...in an urban environment...with Commie infantry crawling all over the place....

Didn't you say the more experienced player should have the Germans??

:)

Nikon53

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Don't get the Elephants recalled by the Russian Sniper like Sisler's Sniper recalled two of mine........."

CE, non-turretted, no MG having, Elefants...in an urban environment...with Commie infantry crawling all over the place....

Didn't you say the more experienced player should have the Germans??

:)
Oh WHAT? You'd have me playing like just any other kind-o guy?

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished this barker

Well, it was as big a piece of crap as expected. We wraped it up after turn 6.

James "no, no, not THAT James Taylor" Taylor suggested:
"I seem to recall a suggestion by somebody that the Russian reinforcements should be given to the germans, AND then we'd have a game!"

Maybe.

Failing that I would like to see the Germans get a Tiger I check. Much like a PF usage roll but instead they get a Tiger I. This could happen maybe four times a game. :)

Or maybe Scott Cochran's favorite, never used SSR. "All woods are PzIVH's"

Woof...woooooooooooooooooof...wooooooof. wooooof.

"Voff" for the Swedish contingent.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, it was as big a piece of crap as expected. We wraped it up after turn 6. Woof...woooooooooooooooooof...wooooooof. wooooof.

The Germans won 17 times, didn't they? Guess your just not as good as all of them. :rolleyes:

Relvig

Death Panel Czar
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Failing that I would like to see the Germans get a Tiger I check. Much like a PF usage roll but instead they get a Tiger I. This could happen maybe four times a game. :)

You definitely put a smile on my face today, that is a great SSR! Time to get back to scenario design!

Relvig

Nikon53

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, it was as big a piece of crap as expected. We wraped it up after turn 6.

James "no, no, not THAT James Taylor" Taylor suggested:
"I seem to recall a suggestion by somebody that the Russian reinforcements should be given to the germans, AND then we'd have a game!"

Maybe.

Cannot give you more Rep it seems. Get Cochran on here and I'll give him the rep - his line anyway.

(Looking to post, but just cannot bring myself to jump into the "how do you sort your AFVs" thread).

Beseler

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
this was the funnest scenario I ever played. Was against Jay White, ftf.

At one point, an Elefant of his was immobised. I'd crashed a KV in adj to it, out of its CA. I just sat there, firing shells point blank into his side, unable to kill him.

It came down to the last turn and the Russians just held him off.

Glorious.

BTW, use the VFTT Australian bidding system (issue 17/18?). The Germans were given a slight balance (less Russian reinforcements).

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played this one as the Germans, and won it. (One of the 17 on ROAR, in fact.) And IIRC, that was despite the fact that my opponent ran one of his tanks into the ground level of a building to successfully rubble it, literally burying my HMG kill-stack that was on the upper floor. The friend I played isn't a Nixon or a Sisler, but I don't think he's much weaker as a player than I am.

Then again, I don't remember him trying any DI either, so if that's the "trick" that makes it so hard for the Germans, it might explain my success. Of course, it was eight years ago, so I don't remember much of anything! (And I don't have the scenario card handy.)

Seems to me I just worked my way forward methodically, efficiently, with the infantry leading -- never let the Ferdinands get out in front, but rather held them back for support along the long streets. I seem to recall getting one immobilized or killed in the crossroads on board b, probably by infantry. And I'm thinking that his tanks used a lot of bypass to basically stay out of the way of those 88LLs.

I'd play it again as the Germans. Ferdinands and DASL, what's not to like? :D

John