45th Inf Div Medal of Honor winner Fights for Flag

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For those interested in knowing more about the individuals who fought while in the 45th, I recommend the book "The Rock of Anzio - From Sicily to Dachau: A History of the U.S. 45th Infantry Division" by Flint Whitlock. On the ASL front, the Schwerpunkt guys released Rally Point #5 last October. It features 10 scenarios covering the division's battles from Sicily into Germany.:flag:

fwheel73

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Recipient" versus "Winner" - Appropriate choice of word!
I knew you would notice that choice. ;) Pretty sure he didn't pluck it out of the Cracker Jack box. :)
Medal of Honor---- Earned, Awarded, Won-- what ever word is used, is, to me reasonable, as everyone must know goes through a huge screen/vetting process before it is placed on the chest of the soldier who went beyond the call of duty.

For those interested in knowing more about the individuals who fought while in the 45th, I recommend the book "The Rock of Anzio - From Sicily to Dachau: A History of the U.S. 45th Infantry Division" by Flint Whitlock. On the ASL front, the Schwerpunkt guys released Rally Point #5 last October. It features 10 scenarios covering the division's battles from Sicily into Germany.:flag:
Excellent recommendations!

Best regards,:salute:
John

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HOA's suck. Typically run by busybody neighbors who think they are smarter/coller/better citizens than anyone else. Good for Barfoot.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
HOA's suck. Typically run by busybody neighbors who think they are smarter/coller/better citizens than anyone else. Good for Barfoot.
Never belonged to one, but have heard the horror stories. I can personally attest to the opposite end of the spectrum though. Most people on my street do a decent job of keeping up their yards. One neighbour however has three barbeques. One of them has been on the front yard for the last year, but only because the ATVs were moved out of the way. Hockey net is usually in the street in front of my house, where people want to park. I used to shovel the sidewalk for them, until it was made clear they weren't interested in having shoveled sidewalks; they (well, she, because he got carted off to jail) haven't done much to clear up the other clutter; tattered remains of a yard umbrella that got ripped apart by a windstorm; broken toys, old pottery, newspapers. My first project after the thaw will be a fence in the front yard so I don't have to look at it.

Community standards aren't so bad, in other words. The intent is to prevent what I put up with; having to see a junkyard every time I walk out of the house. It's not that I am offended by the sight of a few toys - it would be different if this was stuff the kids were playing with. This is all discarded junk laying around. There are bylaws, but not only am I not sure it meets the standard of the law, frankly, I don't want to be a snitch who reports his neighbour every second day. I suppose they have the right to "enjoy" their house as well, which is where the conflict comes in, and why community standards are codified - to ensure a fair compromise for my right to enjoy my house and a 'tidy community', and they to theirs.

It's a big difference between living in a junkpile and flying the flag proudly, but I guess some people (I am not one of them) don't see that difference.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Never belonged to one, but have heard the horror stories. I can personally attest to the opposite end of the spectrum though. Most people on my street do a decent job of keeping up their yards. One neighbour however has three barbeques. One of them has been on the front yard for the last year, but only because the ATVs were moved out of the way. Hockey net is usually in the street in front of my house, where people want to park. I used to shovel the sidewalk for them, until it was made clear they weren't interested in having shoveled sidewalks; they (well, she, because he got carted off to jail) haven't done much to clear up the other clutter; tattered remains of a yard umbrella that got ripped apart by a windstorm; broken toys, old pottery, newspapers. My first project after the thaw will be a fence in the front yard so I don't have to look at it.

Community standards aren't so bad, in other words. The intent is to prevent what I put up with; having to see a junkyard every time I walk out of the house. It's not that I am offended by the sight of a few toys - it would be different if this was stuff the kids were playing with. This is all discarded junk laying around. There are bylaws, but not only am I not sure it meets the standard of the law, frankly, I don't want to be a snitch who reports his neighbour every second day. I suppose they have the right to "enjoy" their house as well, which is where the conflict comes in, and why community standards are codified - to ensure a fair compromise for my right to enjoy my house and a 'tidy community', and they to theirs.

It's a big difference between living in a junkpile and flying the flag proudly, but I guess some people (I am not one of them) don't see that difference.
This is why I moved out to the countryside. My closest neighbor is now 200 yards away, next closest 400. It has not been perfect but I've only had one un-neighborly incident in two years.

When I was in the city the noise and trash were daily problems. Once a month or so there would be an incident where somebody thought they needed a policeman so they would pound on my door to get one, instead of calling 911 to get one that was on-duty and awake....

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not the one I'm in. The main thing I look for is one that keeps a neighbor from parking a trailer (hey Psycho) or Winnebago on their property and letting a relative live in it. Sometimes they're a pain as I couldn't build a solid fence around my patio, but overall they keep junk and dog poop out of my area.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Not the one I'm in. The main thing I look for is one that keeps a neighbor from parking a trailer (hey Psycho) or Winnebago on their property and letting a relative live in it. Sometimes they're a pain as I couldn't build a solid fence around my patio, but overall they keep junk and dog poop out of my area.
I don't live in a trailer! :hissyfit: