New members introduce yourself here

ASL Maineiac

Reaction score
Hi all. My name is Scott and I've got a rapidly developing ASL addiction.

Thanks to my mentors Dave Story and Chris Olden, I'm starting to figure out the ASLSK rules, and I'm jonesing to tackle full ASL soon (I purchased the rulebook and Beyond Valor moments after my first SK game with Chris, and just picked up Yanks as well, so I'm ready to go!)

This forum is a great resource, and I'm spending way too much time on here (but hey, it beats working!) I just signed up for West Coast Melee, looking forward to some good SK games and the 7-0 Leaders program. Looking forward to meeting some of you there.

Scott
Hi, Scott. Welcome. You sound exactly like I did three months ago when I got bit by the ASL bug. I spent so many hours browsing through the forum, and searching eBay and other places to buy more modules...you're right. It's definitely an addiction. See you around.
Whit

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just signed up for West Coast Melee, looking forward to some good SK games and the 7-0 Leaders program. Looking forward to meeting some of you there.

Scott
Hi Scott;

I'll see you at West Coast Melee. Look for me there...I'm the bald, overweight white guy in my early 40's...you can't miss me! :nuts::laugh::clown:

Going to a tournament will definately increase your addiction to ASL! There should be plenty of other SK players for you to get games with, and we will be having a SK mini on Saturday in addition to the 7-0 Leaders Clinic.

Bring some extra money for purchases. The club will have some items available, plus the Melee Packs, and Bounding Fire will be represented and have Into the Rubble available.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Last edited:

Elrohir69

Reaction score
First name
Santiago
Country
llSpain
Thank's everybody for your answers and your welcome!!!
Right now I'm totally addict to ASL ... I'm playing twice a week and when I can I have also some game through VASL, and I feel that`s still not enough (I'm a little bit affraid :nuts::nuts:).
Now I have some questions I will make in the questions post.
I will try to enjoy the forum as much as I can!!!

colonel kilgore

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hello Everybody, I'm a french ASL player, i'm playing for one year. I got the Rule book, Beyond Valor, Yanks, Croix de Guerre and the 3 SK. I'm from Nates where we have a good club of asl (The NTC) and where i find some masters Kennobi for my initiation. I really like this game, I'm playing between 10 & 20 parties this years and a lot of "partie solo" (me against myself) at my work, because i'm a night watcher. I hope that forum help me to meet some foreign player, to have answers about rules, etc , etc. I'm happy to be a part of this great communauty. Best regards to all.

PS : My english is not very good so i'm sorry if it's " incompréhensible " ;)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brand new on the board here, been lurking for a few weeks and having trouble registering, but finally got through.

My introduction to wargames was circa 77-78 helping my dad and half brother punch out counters for PanzerBlitz and PanzerLeader.

Started playing PB at age 10 in '84, and graduated to the programmed learning of Squad Leader a year or two after that. My dad and I loved Cross of Iron, but got bogged down in Creshendo of Doom and never made it to GI Anvil of Victory or the ASL/Beyond Valour boxes we still have collecting dust in the closet.

Ran into a friend in '92 who was an avid ASLer and got my intro to ASL in that fashion. Just moved back to the People's Repvblik of Kalifornia a few months ago and started wargaming again. After a few GMT GBoH, AP PanzerG, and SPW Der Weltkrieg games to whet our appetites, we started playing ASL again with fervor.

After a few games, he mentioned what a good resource this board was, (And how humoursly hot folks get about certain topics,) so I decided to join.

I still miss the simplicity of the armor battles from CoI, and I absolutely abhor some of the newer rules of ASL, but I think the system has a ton of playability as well as potential for expansion.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, OneBladeofGrass.
Do you know about the Starter Kits?
They are introductive modules with simplified rules... perhaps SK3 would make you appreciate armor combat, as it is stripped from some overcomplicated mechanics.
Anyway, I hope you will have a nice time on this forum.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello Everybody, I'm a french ASL player, i'm playing for one year. I got the Rule book, Beyond Valor, Yanks, Croix de Guerre and the 3 SK. I'm from Nates where we have a good club of asl (The NTC) and where i find some masters Kennobi for my initiation. I really like this game, I'm playing between 10 & 20 parties this years and a lot of "partie solo" (me against myself) at my work, because i'm a night watcher. I hope that forum help me to meet some foreign player, to have answers about rules, etc , etc. I'm happy to be a part of this great communauty. Best regards to all.

PS : My english is not very good so i'm sorry if it's " incompréhensible " ;)
I've actually been to Nantes (1980). (Sorry to hear your football team got relegated last year).

Hopefully I'll get to return one day. (Friends that live in Carnac Plage.) If so I'd love to attend an ASL meeting!

JT

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just moved back to the People's Repvblik of Kalifornia a few months ago and started wargaming again.
Check out www.socalasl.com for info on the SoCal ASL Club. We are having our annual tournament this week in Irvine, kicks off on Thursday afternoon...click on the "WCM XI" in the red area at the top right of our website for more information.

We have lots of SK players, as well as the 7-0 Leaders Clinic on Saturday to help new/returning players get rolling. Come on down and check out the action!

Semper Fi!
Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Check out www.socalasl.com for info on the SoCal ASL Club. We are having our annual tournament this week in Irvine, kicks off on Thursday afternoon...click on the "WCM XI" in the red area at the top right of our website for more information.

We have lots of SK players, as well as the 7-0 Leaders Clinic on Saturday to help new/returning players get rolling. Come on down and check out the action!

Semper Fi!
Scott
Interesting. Fullerton is coincidentally where I have been playing at this point.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting. Fullerton is coincidentally where I have been playing at this point.
Hiding in my own back yard...

If you have time to come by West Coast Melee this weekend in Irvine, I can introduce you to more players in your area. Also, I am in the process of initiating a monthly game day...it will be in Brea on the third Saturday of each month (starting in March)...you and your friend are welcome to join us!

Semper Fi!
Scott

skippen

Reaction score
First name
Scott
Country
llUnited States
Howdy all. I just found this site. I am a fairly new guy to ASL. I have been playing about a year now with the help of a grizzled veteran. He's a great teacher. I have about 12 or so games under my belt (played Berkmann's Corner last night), but tanks a still scare me.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, skippen!
I hope that you will find usefull ressources here, and some nice time.

GF of Seoul

Reaction score
Welcome SKippen,

You're just a hop skip and a jump away from Kansas City with an ASL weekend coming up 14-16 March.

tom Meier

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Sounds fun, but a tad far for me at the moment. Maybe someday. :D
You do know that there is a Front Range ASL (FRASL) group? In fact, there are two players in Greeley, at least one in Windsor, and I am in Fort Collins, not to mention a bunch'o folks in Boulder/Denver. There are periodic events and get-togethers at Attactrix in Aurora.

Who is this grizzled veteran that you speak of?

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/frasl/

GF of Seoul

Reaction score
Skippen,

We'll keep the light on for ya in the future.

And I recommend you hook up with the FRASL - a good bunch of folks to game with.

skippen

Reaction score
First name
Scott
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I have hooked up with them. I got crushed in my first tournment not too long ago. It was a blast, and I learned a lot (mainly not to fear the firelane and to run through the dang thing).

BuddGimli

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi everyone, I am BuddGimli. I'm 43, live in Northern Virginia, and have recently re-opened my closet and pulled out my original Squad-Leader game. My best friend and I are hoping to make our way through the series of scenarios and expansions to get to ASL. That being said I am visiting these forums to hope to get some help on rule interpretations

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi BuddGimli,
Welcome here.
I would advise you, rather than go the SL way, to acquire the cheap Starter Kit, which helps you enter the ASL world without having to "unlearn" some rules (as the step from SL to ASL would generate).
MMP sells it online here for $24 : LINK
Anyway, I hope you will find usefull ressources around here.