Sword and Fire Cover Artwork released

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Should be unless they slip something in between now and then... (Normandy, Marco Polo Bridge?)

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
It's ok and definitely on my to-buy-list, but I kind of miss the old style artwork.

Perhaps it's because I'm mentally an old fart.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
According to Perry, S&F: Manila is next up in the ASL production line, since Normandy and Marco Polo haven't yet
been put up for pre-orders. Still, that is a great cover box design.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Yes, this typography seems a bit odd for me, too - I've even posted my parody-version of it on said thread on Facebook, but honestly it's someone's work and I don't want to tear it apart.

It's just not vintage style that I've got used to, that's all, other than that it's ok and long live MMP!

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the cover design is strong. The typeface, though a simpler sans serif type, is effective with the use of colors/texture and the larger "MANILA".

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If someone asked me "Are those soldiers in Tunis? Rome? Myitkyina?", based purely on the picture, I would not know.
The lid cover only shows a part of the complete painting. I've seen a picture of the full painting somewhere in this forum some time ago. The part on the left in which some Japanese soldiers are hit and going down is not shown - probably because it does not fit to the format of the box.

von Marwitz

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The lid cover only shows a part of the complete painting. I've seen a picture of the full painting somewhere in this forum some time ago. The part on the left in which some Japanese soldiers are hit and going down is not shown - probably because it does not fit to the format of the box.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I checked, but I shouldn't have: from the positions of the soldiers, it was pretty obvious any Japanese would be to the right...

(Might also be that MMP don't want to have dying charaters pictured on the box - it's OK to show soldiers, it's a wargame after all; but the real result of war, people dying, is maybe a little less OK...)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
(Might also be that MMP don't want to have dying charaters pictured on the box - it's OK to show soldiers, it's a wargame after all; but the real result of war, people dying, is maybe a little less OK...)
I had that thought as well.

At least I cannot remember any cover art by AH/MMP that does show anyone dying.

It is somewhat ambivalent to blend out the dying and misery and focussing on the "heroics" with regard to war, as without doubt, there is much more of the former than the latter involved in it.

But in all fairness, hardly anyone who wants to "sell" war - be it as a game or the real thing - does that.
And, of course, there is the question if those dying would agree to being depicted, photographed or filmed. There is good reason to believe that most would not.

So in the end, it might be just as well that the cover art is as it is.

von Marwitz

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Pegasus Bridge cover is probable the closest with Dan Brotheridge leading the charge to be hit in the next few seconds. The soldier who fired the Very Pistol was the first casualty of D-Day.

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Pegasus Bridge cover is probable the closest with Dan Brotheridge leading the charge to be hit in the next few seconds. The soldier who fired the Very Pistol was the first casualty of D-Day.
Some of the ACW modules that MMP releases have dead bodies on the covers. But they are lost in all the detail. They are pictures showing broad scenes of the battle.