Home Rule to regulate skulking

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I like the OBA modifications. When OBA is in play for one side I always draw the second red card.
I won't play a scenario without the Pleva OBA mod. If a designer tells me the scenario is balanced without the OBA then I know the scenario is a huge dog if the OBA side gets an effective mission or two. If it is balanced without it, why is it there? -- jim

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
<shrug> If winning is that important to someone that they play glacially (or unreasonably fast) on purpose....they win and I'm looking for another opponent...that's just me.
Totally agree, you want to play slow on purpose, or crazy fast, it is the last time I'm playing you.

Life is too short and all who make it less than pleasant I leave behind if I can, Vic.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I won't play a scenario without the Pleva OBA mod. If a designer tells me the scenario is balanced without the OBA then I know the scenario is a huge dog if the OBA side gets an effective mission or two. If it is balanced without it, why is it there? -- jim
We use it all the time now when we design a scenario with OBA in it, I have seen too many scenarios made completely unbalanced unless the side with OBA gets a mission or 2, Steve fixed this in is OBA rule, you are almost assured to get a mission or 2 but with added red cards as you pull one, it becomes harder to get a black card as the game goes on. You always have a chance this way, as opposed to never getting to use a weapon that you need to have any chance at all to win, Vic.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We use it all the time now when we design a scenario with OBA in it, I have seen too many scenarios made completely unbalanced unless the side with OBA gets a mission or 2, Steve fixed this in is OBA rule, you are almost assured to get a mission or 2 but with added red cards as you pull one, it becomes harder to get a black card as the game goes on. You always have a chance this way, as opposed to never getting to use a weapon that you need to have any chance at all to win, Vic.
Agreed.

My regular CG opponent and I always use the Pleva rule now. Although playing a CG...each individual scenario still can feel the impact of somebody drawing 2 red chits on their first two attempts. Which by its very nature allows the opponent to now maneuver his units around the map "knowing" that there will never be an FFE coming down on him. I imagine real combat commanders would have loved to have had that information.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Agreed.

My regular CG opponent and I always use the Pleva rule now. Although playing a CG...each individual scenario still can feel the impact of somebody drawing 2 red chits on their first two attempts. Which by its very nature allows the opponent to now maneuver his units around the map "knowing" that there will never be an FFE coming down on him. I imagine real combat commanders would have loved to have had that information.
In a CG where I can retain the RG if it doesn't enter play, I would be perfectly willing to use a normal deck. In the course of a scenario however, no thanks. I think designers are recognizing this more and more. I can't remember the last time I saw a scenario featuring OBA that doesn't have something along the lines of "First card drawn is automatically black, remove one black card from the deck". -- jim

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is an article on the modification in an upcoming journal. It remains pretty consistent with the existing rules for about 6 turns. After that, it results in a few more missions than normal. -- jim
What I like best about the Pleva OBA mod is that the OBA is at least possible the whole game. Makes the decisions different, more tension, keeps the excitement.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
What we really need is a unified thread and answer for the three pet peeves littering the first page of the Forum right now: Skulking, Multiple ROF, and Weapons Breakdown. Or we could just play the game as written.
Only skulking is a pet peeve for many.
The ROF and SW breakdowmn are each the concerns of an isolated player.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
What we really need is a unified thread and answer for the three pet peeves littering the first page of the Forum right now: Skulking, Multiple ROF, and Weapons Breakdown. Or we could just play the game as written.
Only skulking is a pet peeve for many.
The ROF and SW breakdowmn are each the concerns of an isolated player.
Agreed. Skulking is the only one of these pet peeves that has any sort of following outside of one or two people. The others are personalized designer peeves.