"Known enemy Units" not yet come on

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
IF you don't bring on all of your OB given units on Turn 1.
Can you conceal the units that haven't come on from your opponent?

If you were doing this FtF, The opponent can simply look at the OB card.
You have no rule saying you can Conceal units that aren't in the game, as the RULES do not apply to units NOT in the game.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
IF you don't bring on all of your OB given units on Turn 1.
Can you conceal the units that haven't come on from your opponent?

If you were doing this FtF, The opponent can simply look at the OB card.
You have no rule saying you can Conceal units that aren't in the game, as the RULES do not apply to units NOT in the game.
There is no LOS off board so your opponent has no right of inspection. -- jim

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
You do not need to draw the counters from storage prior to setting them up to enter.
If your opponent objects to you concealing them, return them to storage.
Then it would be IMPOSSIBLE to confirm what units you had already brought on ....you could "mistakenly" add more units than was needed...and UNNECESSARILY slow that Troll game down.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Entering more stuff than what's in the OB can just as well happen when all units enter on Turn 1, since all usually enter concealed. And the defender could mistakenly set up more stuff than what in his OB. So this "problem" isn't confined to when an OB group can enter across multiple turns.....

...I think one needs to assume the opponent doesn't set-up/enter more stuff than what is in his OB.....but then again, I am not player who usually does the counter count, keep an exact track of what I have seen of the opponent's OB. As always, ymmv.

Last edited:

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Entering more stiff than what's in the OB
. So this "problem" isn't confined to when an OB group can enter across multiple turns.....
If he's entering more stuff in his OB then he's not making the proper HS exchange or he misread his OB.
OR he has to write down what came on...then dig the other counters out and compare it to the OB Which is FAR more problematic and extremely prone to mistakes.

My point is if you enter 5 of your 11 units .....then I can see the 6 you didn't enter.

I just want to see the rule which allows you to conceal your counters in the OB.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
If he's entering more stuff in his OB then he's not making the proper HS exchange or he misread his OB.
Probably, yes.

My point is if you enter 5 of your 11 units .....then I can see the 6 you didn't enter.
Personally I wouldn't care one way or the other whether I get to see those six units or not....I would assume that he entered - in total - the correct 11 units. Again, YMMV.

I don't think you'll find a rule about it to be honest....

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States

I just want to see the rule which allows you to conceal your counters in the OB.
I provided said rule in the CASALO thread: A12.12. I also pointed out that you have NO right of inspection for off board units as there is NO LOS to offboard Locations. ASL is a COWTRA game. What rules GIVES you the right to conduct the action you want to take? What specifically allows you do what you wish? -- jim

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I provided said rule in the CASALO thread: A12.12. I also pointed out that you have NO right of inspection for off board units as there is NO LOS to offboard Locations. ASL is a COWTRA game. What rules GIVES you the right to conduct the action you want to take? What specifically allows you do what you wish? -- jim
Indeed A12.12 seems to me a valid argument to deny inspection.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Personally I wouldn't care one way or the other whether I get to see those six units or not....I would assume that he entered - in total - the correct 11 units. Again, YMMV.
I don't think you'll find a rule about it to be honest....
The problem being, in situations where you need to know if he has any infantry left should be known if he could bring on units on piecemeal.
In DTF-2 It's critical to know if any INF is offboard as they kinda break the scenario if you don't know.

But whatever.....play it as you wish...nothing will change that...

"Precious"

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
In DTF-2 It's critical to know if any INF is offboard as they kinda break the scenario if you don't know.
Why would you need to know that? (I haven't played the scenario)....what breaks if you don't know?

But whatever.....play it as you wish...nothing will change that...
Yes, I did specifically spell out "Personally I wouldn't care one way or the other"..

"Precious"
What do you mean?

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
in DTF-2 it literally freezes at least 1/3 of your force on one side...leaving you outnumbered 2:1 on the other side of the map that you can never leave.
i.e. UNFUN scenario.
LEGIT leaving 1 squad off the map can make the difference

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Since I haven't played the scenario (only proofread it) I can't comment any on it......

buser333

Reaction score
Like many scenarios in that pack, it's a great scenario.

Stephen, I don't understand your concern about leaving units offboard in this particular case. The French can only choose late entry on their tanks. I agree that those INF guns are formidable, but if your opponent opts to not set up some of them all the better no?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There is nothing thst allows you to inspect units off board, they get to set up concealed.
There is No requirement yo pull any counter unless you are setting thrm up to enter.
If you require to know what has been entered, then you're going to need to set up a shout to strip concealment.
If you got to see what had not been entered/set up then, by extention, you would be entitled to inspect what had not been set up on board by a defender, rendering Hip far less useful.

buser333

Reaction score
NO worries...when his onboard forces just DEPLOY TO WIN strat...its over anyway. High skill technique
Deploying to cover more ground should always be a concern. As the Attacker you just need to fight fire with fire in that case.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
The problem being, in situations where you need to know if he has any infantry left should be known if he could bring on units on piecemeal.
I will defend if you want to give it a try. I like the challenge. -- jim