XBOX LIVE PROBLEM! Need loads of help :(

Dragon2611

I am me!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sprig see the ebuyer link i posted earlier...

If your laptop has a card slot that should work with it, plug the wireless dsl router into the phone extension in your room... (be carefull of filter placement), then connect the xbox360 Via ethernet to the wireless router (it will have some wired ports) THEN put the wireless card in the laptop and connect the laptop wirelessly!

its much cheaper than buying the xbox wireless thing and should work.

Sprig

Reaction score
First name
Luke
Country
llUnited Kingdom
U say should, but dude u have to understand i really cant aford to go buy summin onkly for it to just not work :( But seeing as u are a BT dude im just going to have to go with ya.
Ok what would this mean laptop wise? would it mean that the laptop has to be turned on and connected?

bradas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sprig said:
U say should, but dude u have to understand i really cant aford to go buy summin onkly for it to just not work :( But seeing as u are a BT dude im just going to have to go with ya.
Good idea :p
About 2 months ago i was really considering buying the wireless 360 adapter but for £50+ they can lick my balls!

Dragon2611

I am me!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sprig said:
Ok what would this mean laptop wise? would it mean that the laptop has to be turned on and connected?

no... Sprig i cannot advise you 100% becuase im not standing there looking at it.

If the laptop has a card slot (look at its called a pcmcia/cardbus slot, its a retangular slot possibly covered by a flap probably with a little button next to it to eject any cards to put in)

As you have a phone exension wired to your room provided you've wired it correctly and put everything on the right side of the filters (the white boxes with dsl/phone written on em, your extension must NOT be plugged into the phone/pots side or it will filter off the DSL signals and you won't sync)

you should be able to plug the dsl router (its a router with the modem builtin) into the extension in your room, you can then use Wired lan (via cat5 utp cable) from the router to the xbox360 and then put the wireless card in the laptop.

if your unsure if the laptop has a card slot send me some pics, it will probably be on the side if its got one.

If setup correctly then yes it should work, Without being there myself and testing/configuring it i can't say more than should

A good check would be to take the laptop and the current modem upstairs plug the current modem into the socket in your room and see if it connects to the broadband.

with the setup i proposed the Router would have to be left on for people to get internet access as it would share the internet out between the xbox and the laptop. But then routers are ok left on 24/7 anyway.

And btw even though i work for BT i'm not a broadband engineer.

Sprig

Reaction score
First name
Luke
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ya my laptop definately has a card slot :) So basically

Insert Card thingy to laptop
Phone line extension>New router that u showed me>Lan cable to 360?

Dragon2611

I am me!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sprig said:
Ya my laptop definately has a card slot :) So basically

Insert Card thingy to laptop
Phone line extension>New router that u showed me>Lan cable to 360?

yep thats about it, id check the old modem works upstairs first then you know the router should work ok up there ;)

Sprig

Reaction score
First name
Luke
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Dragon2611 said:
yep thats about it, id check the old modem works upstairs first then you know the router should work ok up there ;)
Yep im going to test everything in the house when u get home lol.

Dragon2611

I am me!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think im going to buy a wireless router, i got a bt homehub sent to me when i signed up for broadband but its a doorstop... actually its not heavy enough for a doorstop either way i got a duff one, it doesn't do anything!

Pompey

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
god to hear youve got this sorted out spriggy, would of been nasty to have a 360 without live :(

Dragon2611

I am me!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I went out and got a d-link router for my broadband (seeing as my bt homehub was dead on arrival and i don't like homehubs much anyway.), so now i don't need my laptop on to play on live :)

Sprig

Reaction score
First name
Luke
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well the internet connection worked, infact im writtiing this im my room now lol. So hopefuly everything is k for the router

Dragon2611

I am me!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sprig said:
Well the internet connection worked, infact im writtiing this im my room now lol. So hopefuly everything is k for the router

if the modem works in your room then so should your router...

what speed you connect at out of interest and was it any different to the speed you connect at downstairs?

Also remember to setup secuirty on the wireless, don't want the neighbours stealing your net now do we.

Dragon2611

I am me!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Jim said:
hehe just hack it...i mean ya you need to have your wireless encrypted

yeah as long as some people leave theirs unencyrpted, free internet comes in handy at times :eek:

not that i would ever take advantage of an unencypted wi-fi..... :bs:

but seriously you dont want half the neighbourhood on your wireless so do turn on the encyption.

Sprig

Reaction score
First name
Luke
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Cant really tell the diffetence in speed tbh Dragon. And ya i will definately be sorting out some security and encyption ;)

Dragon2611

I am me!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sprig said:
Cant really tell the diffetence in speed tbh Dragon. And ya i will definately be sorting out some security and encyption ;)

your computer should say what speed it connected at ;)

Just wanted to b sure the extension wasn't causing to much line loss :eek:

Sprig

Reaction score
First name
Luke
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Dragon2611 said:
your computer should say what speed it connected at ;)

Just wanted to b sure the extension wasn't causing to much line loss :eek:
Nah dont worry everything is fine lol. Now i just need to work out how i am going to magically spawn £35 from...hmmmm

Jim

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Dragon2611 said:
but seriously you dont want half the neighbourhood on your wireless so do turn on the encyption.
cant you change the setting on how far the wireless signal goes? cos mine only goes just to the other side of my house

good thing my bedroom is above where the router is ;)

Dragon2611

I am me!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Jim said:
cant you change the setting on how far the wireless signal goes? cos mine only goes just to the other side of my house

good thing my bedroom is above where the router is ;)

some routers have better range than others.

Also depends on how many walls.etc the signal has to go though and also what they made of.

I get 95-% 100% signal strengh on my desktop pc but then my wlan card is in the bottom near the floor and the router is downstairs more or less in the room below so its only got to go though the celing.

xbox360 usally picks up about 4 out of 5 bars i think, its on the desk so slightly different posistion to the pc wi-fi card.

Its suprsing how much diff a tiny movement can make though, i moved the ariel on my pc card slighltly and it used to make a big difference to the signal recieved, mind u the AP i was connecting to back then was on the same floor but 2 rooms away, so sig had to travel though 2 walls to get to the pc.)

Jim

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
lol well i was seeing where i can pick up networks around my house, i went into my bathroom got 1 then sat on the toilet and was picking up 4 lmao