Why can I not open any of the attachnents?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
From what I gather, none of previously saved attachments were ported to the new site version (might not have been possible/practical). If the picture that was pointed to was a link to another site, rather than a GS local copy, then that likely works as before.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Correct. The database had just grown too huge over 15 years and had to be trimmed. You can upload new attachments as usual.

In addition, GS will soon be adding a dedicated downloads section for files and a comprehensive media gallery system. Expect that in the coming week.

Sorry about the old attachments, I know that's aggravating.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correct. The database had just grown too huge over 15 years and had to be trimmed. You can upload new attachments as usual.

In addition, GS will soon be adding a dedicated downloads section for files and a comprehensive media gallery system. Expect that in the coming week.

Sorry about the old attachments, I know that's aggravating.
will upgrading membership allow members to increase the file size uploaded in the dedicated files for download section? The previous software had a firm limit that prevented many uploads.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
will upgrading membership allow members to increase the file size uploaded in the dedicated files for download section? The previous software had a firm limit that prevented many uploads.
I don't have a definitive answer on that just let. Once I get the downloads section setup and running, I'll play around with it and make a decision on how it's going to work.

The one we had before was something that CyberRanger coded as an add-on for the forum, and over time it began to show it's age. The new one is an official Xenforo product which is closely integrated into the rest of the software, so we won't ever have to worry about updates or anything like that.

It is a possibility that only subscribing members will be able to download files from the new system.