Which is a better Beer and Pretzels Game?

Which game is better for a Saturday Night game with friends?

• Axis and Allies

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Risk

Votes: 27 39.7%
  • Other (Add game below)

Votes: 18 26.5%

• Total voters

mentis

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aries:

There are many games that are similar in appearance (for an example, look at the many hex-and-counter wargames that cover the Battle of the Bulge). However, the ruleset and gameplay are vastly different. As I mentioned, War of the Ring is a great crossover game among various levels/varieties of gamers. I know many people who don't even consider Risk a game (but rather a pointless dice rolling exercise). If you do want to know more about War of the Ring, BGG has ten reviews, numerous little discussion topics, and various player created add-ons and game aids:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/9609

Last edited:

Veldor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My vote goes to Up Front, the Squad Leader Card Game, if its a two-player environment.

Otherwise My vote goes to Axis & Allies. At my High School I was the ONLY ONE who played Avalon Hill wargames. EVERY SINGLE person in EVERY SINGLE case that I recruited "joined up" only after playing Axis & Allies. That's what wet their appetite for more. And soon we were onto Avalon Hill games like "Britannia", "Titan", "Civilization" and other multi-player type games. Next thing you know we are facing off with Squad Leader and ASL and my days of playing "true wargames" solitaire only finally ended.

But not without Axis & Allies. Without that game I might have thrown in the towel and quit wargaming altogether. I should add I attended highschool in the late 80's. No one played wargames. Very few were even playing the likes of D&D or Warhammer 40k where I went.

I still play Axis & Allies from time to time with work associates who also play RTS computer games but are not otherwise "True Wargamers".

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Some adequate reviews there Mentis.

The game you are mentioning looks to have more of a "wargame" under the hood.

So it really falls to a person to decide how complex they want their beer and pretzels I suppose.

For me, clean fast and easy is the route.

If I have wargamers at the table though, War of the Rings won't be on the table in any flavour.

But for when I have some of the "guys" aka not wargaming friends at the table, simple translates into better.

Lord of the Rings version Risk is pretty well done. Hardly even feels like Risk actually.
The game is over when the One ring reaches it's destination. And while playing some strategy cards in the game might occasionally delay it, no one actually controls it. It's a timer not a participant.
You have good guy colours and bad guy colours, but in the end, you want your colour to win, and that mirrors atypical Risk.
Nice pieces, but really, they are just numerical pieces like they always were.
The map is predictably the same. There are better routes than others.
It's about chucking a lot of dice to some extent. A lot less intrusive than old Risk though.

Right now ETO by Neppa games is a superb WW2 European board game for those looking for an actual wargame, but without the Third Reichiness to it.
Gary Grigsby's game A World at War for computer (god I hope people stop using that one name soon) looks like it will be a decent wargame, without the Third Reichiness to it as well.

But I would not call either a beer and pretzels wargame, merely not the same level of complexity.

Team3Jeep

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
About Time Someone Mentioned...

...AH's Civilization! We used to play that when 2 or more couples would get together when I was stationed in Europe. Talk about a blast! Admitted, some of the games got long, but it was funny watching the wives cream the husbands, even though they had NO idea the history behind the game! :clap:

Darkman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For a group I would prefer to go with History of the World! The closer to 6 players the better, and it gets some great fun yelling matches between players. My #2 choice would be Wizards Quest.

pzkfw5g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I vote for Talisman - you can actually play and enjoy it while drunk and eating pretzels!

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>For a group I would prefer to go with History of the World!

If you like HotW, you're gonna love Seven Ages. HotW was one of our favorite games, but we played Seven Ages two times recently. It takes HotW and makes it much better. A little more detail, a better combat system, more nationalities to play and many tough decisions.

A brilliant design. Run to your PC (oops, you're already there) and buy this game. I can't recommend it highly enough.

dgfred

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Veldor said:
My vote goes to Up Front, the Squad Leader Card Game, if its a two-player environment.

Otherwise My vote goes to Axis & Allies. At my High School I was the ONLY ONE who played Avalon Hill wargames. EVERY SINGLE person in EVERY SINGLE case that I recruited "joined up" only after playing Axis & Allies. That's what wet their appetite for more. And soon we were onto Avalon Hill games like "Britannia", "Titan", "Civilization" and other multi-player type games. Next thing you know we are facing off with Squad Leader and ASL and my days of playing "true wargames" solitaire only finally ended.

But not without Axis & Allies. Without that game I might have thrown in the towel and quit wargaming altogether. I should add I attended highschool in the late 80's. No one played wargames. Very few were even playing the likes of D&D or Warhammer 40k where I went.

I still play Axis & Allies from time to time with work associates who also play RTS computer games but are not otherwise "True Wargamers".
We played Axis & Allies all through college :D . Some great times. :cool:

airBiscuit

Assistant CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CPangracs said:
ATTACK! by Eagle Games is by far better than any you have listed!;)
I haven't yet had the pleasure of that game, but my friends have been playing it religiously for a few months now. They even started testing variations on the rules for kicks.

swell

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
any of the GMT card driven games - SoR or TNW if you are looking for multi player - the GMT American revolutoinary series are good too... :cheeky:

jorge

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
To spend two hours with your friends, simply find your SL box, and play a simple "search and destroy" game employing the first 4 pages. Only infantry, leaders and MGs. The rest of the stuff is optional.

Phil Kost

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I voted for RISK. That is a good game that you can go through fast or slow depending on which you want. I also recommend RISK 2210, I got this while I was in Bosnia (because we were RISKed out) and that is an awesome game. Each time is a different experience depending on where your waste lands are and also depending on where the other people are focusing. (You have land, sea and space territories)

Another fun "relaxing" game is AH Battle Cry. It is a two player game, but it can be one of those games that you and a buddy play after everyone else has called it a night.

Phil

Skrekkstridsman

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llNorway
When I was in Bosnia, we always played A&A.

You might think it is a oversimplified to the stupid game.
Its not, its a strategig game.

Narses

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Junta

Someone mentioned it earlier, but Junta is a great game. Theres nothing like throwing back a few beers, while you topple your buddy's regime, assassinate the minister of defense at his mistresses, and horde some hard earned cash in your swiss bank account.

Up Front is a great game too, but less beer and pretzels.