Whats your game

What do you game with Miniatures most often?

• Medieval/Asia(Samurai,Chinese,Korea...)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Renaissance/7YW/30YW

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello all,
Answer this question.

What do you game with miniatures most often?

Am rather interested to see how the gamers using this portion of the forum are divided up. So vote accordingly.Thanks for participating.

Last edited:

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
well seeing how I just got into this hobby Im starting with WWII. Although I still havent played an official first game yet :) Still workin on building up my forces but just taken my time and enjoying it. Eventually (15-20 yrs) hope to get in to ACW when time and money permits.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello all,
Answer this question.

What do you game with miniatures most often?

Am rather interested to see how the gamers using this portion of the forum are divided up. So vote accordingly.Thanks for participating.
wheres ECW, you just hate the Brits don't you:clown:

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry 'bout that. Did not purposely leave ECW off. As for the British,I do not discriminate. I hate everybody with equality!:p:clown: Just joshin' ya. Thanks for voting.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sorry 'bout that. Did not purposely leave ECW off. As for the British,I do not discriminate. I hate everybody with equality!:p:clown: Just joshin' ya. Thanks for voting.
I use the line about hating all equally fairly often, but I do mean it:devious:

I'm hopeing to get a minatures game in this week as I am on leave for the week, just got to slide it past da wife as I have just got back from Hero's at 1AM and woke her up trying to get in (Cath's keys were in the door!!!!). Have not played in about 3+ years!!!!

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To bad you aren't closer. Been playing lots of mini's solo for a while now, but my 7 yr old is eager to learn, and I think we may start this week since she is off for Easter Break. By the way, I say I'm just joshin, but I'm lyin'!

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The joy of playing the kids, my oldest Alice is only 4 so I have a time to go yet. I did buy her Starter Kit 1 though when she was 6 months old!

I think we will start both kids off on Settlers or some such, I am blessed in that the wife plays boardgames, we even have all the White Wind games (copy 7 or 8)

Off now to do my PBEM logs

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
C'mon man, SK1 at 6 months? Don't you think that's a little late?

I must say I am rather surprised at the poll results thus far. I thought Ancients and Renn would get more votes.Without a doubt WW2 is probably played more than any other period. But are there no Marlborough or Spanish secession gamers out there, and no ECW gamers at all? I always thought those were pretty popular era's to game due to the uniforms and flags.Wouldn't be the first time I was mistaken though.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I must say I am rather surprised at the poll results thus far. I thought Ancients and Renn would get more votes.Without a doubt WW2 is probably played more than any other period. But are there no Marlborough or Spanish secession gamers out there, and no ECW gamers at all? I always thought those were pretty popular era's to game due to the uniforms and flags.Wouldn't be the first time I was mistaken though.
Well, I hate to say it, but 7 people is not exactly a statistically meaningful sample... ;)

I haven't voted, because I'd have to think to even define what "most often" means in my case. I'm primarily a board and computer gamer, and I play minis in three different situations:
1) With my own Warhammer Fantasy army -- but very rarely lately (one game in the last several years).
2) With my friends when they want to do some DBA or similar systems (Fields of Glory being the second most common recently).
3) Every year at "Fall In!", which is one of the HMGS East conventions.

DBA is designed so you can match up armies from any period through, what, AD 1500 or so? So it covers half the poll right there...

And at "Fall In!" I play just about anything that looks interesting, which usually means WWII or ACW -- but could cover anything from Ancients to Modern.

In the three days of "Fall In!", it's quite possible I get in more hours of minis gaming than I do all the rest of the year...

John

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
C'mon man, SK1 at 6 months? Don't you think that's a little late?

Yes I'm a failed father. Worse still I may not get to play this week as I am building a couple of chicken coups with a friend (one for him and one for me) so time will be limited as in:-

going for a meal tonight (treat FROM the wife:crosseye:)
Birthday wednesday
Thursday felting the coups and pub
Friday -not allowed cos it's Friday
Saturday ASL
Sunday meeting up with friends
Monday back to work:freak::mad:

iamspamus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like to play DBM, which as another poster said, can have a big variety of times. I end up mostly playing Ancients/Dark Ages/Renaissance mostly, because the guys around me run most of this stuff. I prefer Napoleonic (POW)for minis, then later Dark Ages (Ottsomans, Crusades) for DBM, then Ancients (NKE, Assyrians).

If it's WWII, then I must play the best minis system of them all...ASL! :laugh: :D :smoke: Sure, they're little cardboard minis, but the game is awesome! Seriously. Every time I try a WWII miniature system, I say "Can I do this?" The other guy says "Nope." And I think, "I could do this in ASL." :mad: :blab: :freak: Might as well just play that.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My metal boys are

1/300 Prussian 1 1/2 corps

15mm Later Achimid Persan WRG 3rd edition (?) about 500 figs

2 armies of 15mm ECW

is that enough?

Ian

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If its enough for you, then its enough. I think perhaps instead of most often I should have said the most time spent on/with. And yes, I understand that 7 votes is hardly representative of the miniatures gaming population. It in no way is meant to be scientific. It is meant to satisfy my curiosity, and it has. I am familiar with DBA and DBM, and was not referring to rules systems as much as to miniatures. And yes Jason, ASL is THE tactical system that sets the bar for all others, and I love playing ASL! But sometimes I like the simplicity of my homebrew rules based on ASL, and the visual appeal that ASL, or any other boardgame can not match. And I can do anything in my mini games that is also allowed in ASL. Clash of Arms Napoleonic games are nice, beautiful counter artwork, though they skipped on the maps, but that can not match in any way the beauty of two thousand French and Austrian Infantry and Cavalry marching across a 3 dimensional battlefield,puffs of smoke emitting from the cannon, or red falmes and black smoke coming out the top of that JSII that my Tiger II just ch'd.
Funny thing is, I get the same enjoyment/thrill/satisfaction from playing ASL or any of the "La Battaille" games as I do playing mini's. ASL is a great system, and has a beauty no miniatures game can imitate, but the same is true for minis, they have a "feel" and look that no boardgame can touch. Simply put, ASL has things that appeal to people that would never put a miniature on a game table, and I know miniatures gamers that would never give ASL a second glance. Both have a unique appeal and beauty that should be appreciated by "gamers", miniature or board.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Ian, happy birthday my gaming brother! I would be interested to know the manufacturer of your 1/300's and the period they are for.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey Ian, happy birthday my gaming brother! I would be interested to know the manufacturer of your 1/300's and the period they are for.
My Napolionic 1/300 scale are Irregular Minatures, a British supplier. The best thing about them is they come pre based so makes them easy to paint and you get that regimental look, the light infantry and scermish strips are not only spaced out but have different poses, only problem is that they are not as crisp as they could be. I will try to dig some out and take a photo and post for you.

On the subject of the post 2 above, I have a friend who plays mini's at every oppertunity but shunes counter based games, his most telling coment was that he just can not get excited about the fate of cardboard,

he's not wrong just missing a good game

Ian

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Ian, thanks, yes I used Irregular infantry when I gamed micro(and Scotia and GHQ older style infantry). They were pretty nice as I remember.
As to your second statement, like I said earlier, I know folks that would not touch a boardgame. Darn shame too, I think it limits the enjoyment to be had from an aspect of the hobby that offers a lot. I have had hours and hours of fun/challenge/enjoyment from boargames, and miniatures games. Each offer a slightly different experience, and I think that limiting ones self to just one aspect is sad. True that minis are considerably more time consuming and expensive than most boardgames. I could sell 1/10th of my WWII minis and get the full set of official AH/MMP ASL from Ebay. And what with painting,building terrain, organizing,researching, basing... minis take a huge commitment of time and cash. All those aspects of miniatures gaming are not for everyone. One of the reasons, though I admit its a minor one, I play ASL is that it is quick to set up(and take down) and its ready to play right out of the box. So I find when I want to play a WW2 Game but only have a short span of time,its usually ASL.
One other interesting thing is that when I have an ASL scen set up on my table, visitors rarely comment on it. Usually just "whats that". But when I have a minis game set up, I get all kinds of oooo's and aaahs, and requests to teach them the game. But like they say, to each his own.

MAKing

Reaction score
I like to play DBM, which as another poster said, can have a big variety of times. I end up mostly playing Ancients/Dark Ages/Renaissance mostly, because the guys around me run most of this stuff. I prefer Napoleonic (POW)for minis, then later Dark Ages (Ottsomans, Crusades) for DBM, then Ancients (NKE, Assyrians).

If it's WWII, then I must play the best minis system of them all...ASL! :laugh: :D :smoke: Sure, they're little cardboard minis, but the game is awesome! Seriously. Every time I try a WWII miniature system, I say "Can I do this?" The other guy says "Nope." And I think, "I could do this in ASL." :mad: :blab: :freak: Might as well just play that.
My group uses a slightly modified version of ASL rules and apply it to the minis.

The only real modification is that objects (tanks and guns) need to draw a LOS to each other and not necessarily to the center of the hex. You have to see the object not just the hex.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My group uses a slightly modified version of ASL rules and apply it to the minis.

The only real modification is that objects (tanks and guns) need to draw a LOS to each other and not necessarily to the center of the hex. You have to see the object not just the hex.
You should maybe try Squad Leader, the rules are simpular and I found them to be fast and acceptable. Though if you are used to ASL why stop:laugh:

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would be interested to know that of those who play a variation of ASL with miniatures, do any of them play ASL board? I know several people that play an ASL based rules set for miniatures but when asked to play a game of ASL say oh that's way to complicated for me. Seems the "legend" of the complexity of ASL precedes it.
And yes when I play mini's with my ASL based system you must draw line of sight to the target, not just to the targets area.
Also, when I first started minis I used a variation of the Squad Leader system. If I were to do the same today I would absolutely incorporate the Cross Of Iron expansion, as the rules for armor are much more detailed and incorporate the detail that SL abstracted so terribly.

Sorry for my long absence from the forums.Physical disabilities have forced me away from my computer.Glad to be back among the company of the forums.