Warlock: Master of the Arcane

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did Elemental just get a competitor? Me thinks so....

[video=youtube;E9HwAwyD98A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9HwAwyD98A&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Warlock

Was that Sean Connery speaking?? :crosseye:
No, I think it was Colonel Horace Gentleman. :D

Yeah, it certainly sounds just like Elemental:
NEW YORK – August 29, 2011 – Paradox Interactive just revealed the details of their latest project, Warlock – Master of the Arcane, a new turn-based strategy game set in the fantastical land of Ardania, popularized in Majesty franchise. Warlock – Master of the Arcane invites players to take on the role of the Great Mage and build a powerful magical empire, giving mighty mages the ability to control armies and wield magic to wage war against one another, as they compete with other wizards for the title of Warlock.

“The great thing about Warlock is that it inherits the best elements from classic turn-based games and renovates them with a modern look and feel,” said Mattias Lilja, Producer at Paradox Interactive. “Partnering with Ino-Co Plus to bring this breath of fresh air to the genre is just icing on the cake, they’ve done well to bring the Majesty world to life in the past and we are confident they’ll deliver again.”

Warlock – Master of the Arcane offers a wide range of military units –three different races, along with summons and wild creatures – as well as providing dozens of spells, from which players can discover powerful spell combinations to help attain victory over their adversaries. With epic battles to fight, gods to side with, and an innovative city management system, players must strike a balance between military might and magical prowess to remain the last mage standing.

Players can look forward to entering the mythical war-torn world of Warlock – Master of the Arcane in Q2, 2012.
Considering the hit Majesty turned out to be, this could well be an Elemental killer. It sounds like the original pitch for that game, but with a much more interesting magic system.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Here's a gameplay vid of an early build (there are some other vids out there from later builds. The additional artwork for the UI is quite nice):

[video=youtube;Idt2sVt2VAs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idt2sVt2VAs[/video]

I am amazed at the similarity with Elemental! Gold, food, even "mana" are all in the game like Elemental. The event notifications also appear on the right side of the screen...just like Elemental. Finally, there appears to be quests, looting and city building...just like Elemental. :D

However, one area that is different from Elemental is this game's strict focus on strategic gameplay. That is, unlike Elemental's divided attention between strategic map exploration, tactical battles, and RPG questing and leveling up of sovereigns and heroes, this game keeps your focus firmly fixed on strategic gamplay...something I think is a very smart move. I also like how the battles are handled: even though all the combat is handled in a Civ-styled way of unit on unit battles, the cool sound FX and the frenetic action of the little soldiers makes up for a lack of a tactical battle screen. In fact, I find Warlocks battles to be more exciting to watch than the staid battles of Elemental's tactical combat.

I also like all the different unit types and monsters in the game. The map is also more colorful and seems more interesting to explore, too. Lastly, in a different vid I saw that there are naval combat units, too!

So far Warlock looks to be a much more interesting game than Elemental. Don't know how it will compare to Fall Enchantress, but I am willing to say that I think it will have stiff competition when Warlock is released.

Wow...between this and Crusader Kings II, it looks like it is going to a very good year for Paradox.

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Still have my eye on the other game Masters of a broken world. Now that to me will be the winner and is touted as having everything I want.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Still have my eye on the other game Masters of a broken world. Now that to me will be the winner and is touted as having everything I want.
Yeah, that game also does sound interesting. Also, that game, along with Warlock, will also allow you to conquer other dimensions within a single campaign. Elemental/FE lacks this feature.

Still, if you are a fan of fantasy strategy, things are looking up in 2012. Now all we need is for CA to announce Fantasy: Total War. :)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The demo is now available:

http://www.gamesquad.com/news/warlock-master-arcane-demo-now-available

I am eager to give this a try and see how it compares to Fallen Enchantress. The latest beta build for FE shows a lot of progress, but I am still finding that the game is not really grabbing me for some reason. I am curious if it the game itself, or the type of game it is trying to be (fantasy 4X). Warlock will give me another title to see if it is me or the genre. :)

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Just started getting into Dominions 3. Love it. has to be the best Fantasy wargame I've ever played. Also has countless mods and new nations. I'm playing the empire against other warhammer nations at the moment.