VASL6.6.7-beta2.vmod released

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Have you noticed that the 1 pip die is bigger in 6.6.7-beta1 and beta2. What do you prefer, large or small?

In releasing this I forgot to mention that I have added a new way to add a VBM counter and spin it correctly. Rather than drag it on and then rotate it you can use the vehicle's popup menu (and therefore a key combo) to select the exact counter needed.
What you think?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Have you noticed that the 1 pip die is bigger in 6.6.7-beta1 and beta2. What do you prefer, large or small?

View attachment 26110

In releasing this I forgot to mention that I have added a new way to add a VBM counter and spin it correctly. Rather than drag it on and then rotate it you can use the vehicle's popup menu (and therefore a key combo) to select the exact counter needed.
What you think?

View attachment 26111
Prefer SMALL. Love the VBM counter.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
VASL-6.6.7 beta 2 is now available at http://vasl.info/vasl_coop.htm

The beta2 fixes a bug that was preventing MAC users from testing the Update Game functionality.

For those experiencing crashes when setting up a new map with overlays and terrain transforms, this version contains a bug fix.
I don't care what people say about you, you're OK....

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will admit I have been busy on the Alternate-Hexgrain railroad overlays so I have not had the time to look at the new beta2. I will say that the dice size doesn't really matter to me, either works. The new VBM feature looks interesting and I will look at it further. I do have a question about the short-keys. My Numpad has Page-Up, Page-Down, End, Home, and the four directional arrows (I assume one is the 'Down' key). I do not have a key on my keyboard with 'Clear' on it. Is that the '5' key? It is blank on my keyboard. Note that all of these also have their own keys on my keyboard, just no key is labeled 'Clear'.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't use dice-as-images so as long as you fixed the bug that prevented seeing text unless you used dice-as-images I'll be happy.

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I appreciate and use the VBM counter so much that I've taken to replicate it by using a HASL arrowed perimeter counter when playing FtF. Cheers

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I will admit I have been busy on the Alternate-Hexgrain railroad overlays so I have not had the time to look at the new beta2. I will say that the dice size doesn't really matter to me, either works. The new VBM feature looks interesting and I will look at it further. I do have a question about the short-keys. My Numpad has Page-Up, Page-Down, End, Home, and the four directional arrows (I assume one is the 'Down' key). I do not have a key on my keyboard with 'Clear' on it. Is that the '5' key? It is blank on my keyboard. Note that all of these also have their own keys on my keyboard, just no key is labeled 'Clear'.
The keystroke combos that I used are "SHIFT+ (a number key on the numberpad corresponding most closely to the desired VBM hexside - so SHIFT+NUMPAD8 for hexside 1 and SHIFT+NUMPAD2 for hexside 4). VASSAL defined this as Page-Up, Page-Down, etc. So "Clear" is SHIFT+NUMPAD1.

My thought was that if people actually like adding a VBM counter in this fashion, I would change the keystrokes to something clearer/easier in the official release version.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
First of all, Doug, congratulations for your constant working to improve VASL!

About the dice, I prefer that they all have the same size - colour already differentiates them.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
About the dice, I prefer that they all have the same size - colour already differentiates them.
Indeed. The different sizes in the beta versions are only there to illustrate the options. The official release will contain one common size.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Dice over the map...LARGE...
Dice in the chat area, no preference.
6.6.4 dice were just fine.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Indeed. The different sizes in the beta versions are only there to illustrate the options. The official release will contain one common size.
I then vote for large, as I record videos of my playthroughs : the more easy to read (especially on a smartphone) the better.

PresterJohn

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The dice over map can be large but having large dice in the console chat would be like triple spacing.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The keystroke combos that I used are "SHIFT+ (a number key on the numberpad corresponding most closely to the desired VBM hexside - so SHIFT+NUMPAD8 for hexside 1 and SHIFT+NUMPAD2 for hexside 4). VASSAL defined this as Page-Up, Page-Down, etc. So "Clear" is SHIFT+NUMPAD1.

My thought was that if people actually like adding a VBM counter in this fashion, I would change the keystrokes to something clearer/easier in the official release version.
Doug,
I walked through the keys on my keyboard and found the following.

First, I tried 3 different key/key-combos for each hexside.
  1. I used the keys only labeled Home/Page Up/Page down/End/Down Arrow. In this case I have no key labeled "clear" on my keyboard.
  2. I used the numPad with "NumLock" off, using just the key. In this case I have Home/PgUp/PgDn/End/Up/Down/Left/Right/blank
  3. I used the numPad with 'NumLock"on, using SHIFT+NumPad. In this case I have the following numPad1(End)/numpad2(down)/numpad3(PgDn)/numpad4(left)/numpad5(blank)/numpad6(right)/numpad7(Home)/numpad8(up)/numpad9(PgUp)
In all three cases, the correct hexside is placed based on the alphanumeric label, not the numpad position. So for instance, to get hexside 1, I can not type SHIFT+NumPad8 (which is the up arrow on my numpad) but need to type either NumPad5 with the lock off or SHIFT_NumPad5 with the lock on. I have no labeled "Clear" key on the keyboard.

For hexside 4, I need to type either of the down arrow keys, or SHIFT+NumPad2 if the lock is on.
For hexside 5, I need to type either of the End keys, or SHIFT+NumPad1 if the lock is on.

It is strange the keys are mapped differently on my keyboard's NumPad then on yours. I have a Dell keyboard that came with my computer.

I will also add that the shortcut key sequences for moving, using the CTRL+NumPad key sequence work as they are listed in the drop down. So in that case moving to hexside 1 is CTRL+NumPad8, but that is the Up arrow. It is strange that when I edit the prototype in the editor, when you select the SHIFT+NUMPAD# keys VASSAL fills in the alphanumeric (like "Up" when I select SHIFT+NUMPAD8), but if you use the CTRL+NUMPAD# keys it fills it in as "CTRL+NUMPAD#". I suspect his is due to how the keyboard codes the key when pressed and the shift key redefines the key to whatever is the lower of the possible two choices for each key as displayed on the actual key instead of tacking on the CTRL or ALT to the key. I did go back into the editor and tried the ALT sequence and got "ALT+NUMPAD#" to show up, however, when I release the ALT key it overwrites that with a symbol, almost as if it registers the ALT off coming from the keyboard as a different key sequence. I then waited to release the ALT key until I moved the focus within the dialog box (moving it to the end of menu command field) and it then tacked that symbol to the end of that text but left the ALT+NUMPAD# in the shortcut key definition field. When I save and run, the ALT+NUMPAD key works as defined.

With all that said, I like the feature. It does a similar task to the Non-Emplaced Gun feature, i.e., it allows the player to use the drop-down menu or shortcut key to place the counter without requiring the player to dive into the counter tray structure to find it. No one has to use it, but it is there for those that want to use it.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
@apbills I think using key combos with NUMPAD was a bad idea! LOL! I will be sure to change them before the official release. The VBM counter is one of those counters that nobody can ever find; hopefully this will make it easier to use.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
@apbills I think using key combos with NUMPAD was a bad idea! LOL! I will be sure to change them before the official release. The VBM counter is one of those counters that nobody can ever find; hopefully this will make it easier to use.
My Mac keyboard does not have any numeric keypad on the side.