VASL Module for DZ: St. Mere-Eglise?

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't like the fuzzy lettering on the control and Cow counters, so changed it from pixels to rendered text. These are pulled from the counter tray. The Squad/HS and roadblock counter all have the pixel image for their text, the control and Cow counters have the rendered text.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I don't know what the total counter count would be for SME? If it is more than 10, I would prefer it to be done as an extension at first. But it's up to you. If you want to add the right into VASL, I will send you a dropbox link to the final build version, which is just about ready. I have made changes since the last beta. Please don't use it. Either an extension or the 6.6.6 build.
Yes, all HASL's should be extensions

Horrido

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hate facebook so much. This is a private group, I presume? When I go there it says something about the owner only making it available to "a small group of people." I would really love to play this game on VASL. When will a wider public release be available?

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hate facebook so much. This is a private group, I presume? When I go there it says something about the owner only making it available to "a small group of people." I would really love to play this game on VASL. When will a wider public release be available?
All you have to do is join the group on FB. It was also posted in the Discord ASL.

I'm waiting for the counters to become available...

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Thanks to Tom Repetti, the DZ:SME maps are now on VASL. Look for boards FA, NE, and SE in the boadpicker dropdown.

Do not look for the boards on VASL.info. They won't be there
While I do understand that the maps are no longer downloadable via VASL.info because this is now handled directly via the VASL board-picker, maybe there is yet the need to keep track of which maps are out there for VASL.

Formerly, at VASL.info, you would have looked for "Drop Zone St. Mere Eglise", clicked the download button and would retrieve the Zip file containing the maps.

In VASL itself, map names are genrally some letters that do not intuitively speak for themselves. I would not have known that the maps are named FA, NE, and SE unless I owned DZ:SME (which has not arrived yet). Or I would have needed to ask around to find out before being able to find the correct maps via the board-picker.

What I am saying is that the new way of doing things is not intuitive as the old one and that - at least at first glance - it seems to be more difficult to keep track of VASL maps.

Might it be an idea for improvement of VASL if the board-picker is enhanced in a way that it provides more built in support? For example via drop down menus: Search for a map, dropdown selection for producers (MMP, BFP, etc.) next dropdown selection for 'geoboard', 'HASL', 'Core Module', 'Starter Kit', 'Fort Board' or some such, next dropdown section displays the actual maps within a specific HASL, Core Module, etc. This dropdown support would not be intended to replace the current board picker system but could supplement and enhance it.

Thoughts?

Will cross-post this into the VASL Suggestion section.

von Marwitz

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If someone wants to continue to post the maps to VASL.info there is nothing to stop them. That someone doesn't appear to exist at present (I certainly don't want to because it is unnecessary and duplicative IMHO) and so I put a notice on the site to alert people to that.

If someone comes forward, good for them.

As for your thoughts about reworking boardpicker, @Jazz had similar ideas over on Discord. My early thought is that the benefits aren't worth the costs but I am willing to see what others think.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like a preference to turn off the automatic downloading of boards and only have boardpicker list the boards I have downloaded (from VASL.info). Why? Privacy and speed! As I step through the list of boards, sometimes there are noticeable lags as it downloads a new version of the board.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'd like a preference to turn off the automatic downloading of boards and only have boardpicker list the boards I have downloaded (from VASL.info). Why? Privacy and speed! As I step through the list of boards, sometimes there are noticeable lags as it downloads a new version of the board.
Download VASL 6.4.2 and you're there!

Adrian_QLD

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Correct me if i am doing something wrong but Board SA does not line up with correctly with the other 2 boards in VASL

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I even restarted my computer. No such luck. :(
Maybe I'm banned. :LOL:
Try a couple more times. The list refreshes on startup; there is no reason why it would show these boards for many others but not for you. It may be that you had a temporary internet service interruption just as you were loading VASL. It can happen.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Correct me if i am doing something wrong but Board SA does not line up with correctly with the other 2 boards in VASL
View attachment 24937
Recent historical research has brought to light, that shortly before the time of the action a vicious earth-quake had racked the area, the effects of which are now covered by the maps. In the light of the ongoing fighting back then, this natural disaster has never found much coverage.

The physical maps are meant to overlap a bit. I think you'll need to crop one or the other board when setting up to get them to line up.
This is, of course, the correct answer.

von Marwitz