VASL bugs me!

serpico

Reaction score
VASL bugs me! Is this an up date issue?

Ok I'm back again...........:angry: Hi Guys.....Can someone tell me where the Onslaught to Orsha map is....?

I DL'ed all the maps I needed and the set up files from vasl.org.....

I have the maps in etc\etc\vassal\boards.....then I have a dir in boards labeled scenarios....which contains said set up files....ok so far? :yummy:

I dl ABTf and I see the map and counters but no freekin counter art......:eek: Or similar thing for others.....all the Module set ups work, thery're in a directory called what else.....vassal\modules.....
All the mdx files are in the extensions dir........:surprise:

When I right click on a counter and select "HIP" it hips so you can see image but it goes back to blank when I click again.......:OHNO:

I'm lost again....counterman.....oh counterman you there?

Sorry to be a pain but I can't get this one sorted out!!

Paul ;) BTW, sometimes when I click on load game, vasl exits........:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If the scenario setup file was done under an obsolete VASL version, you can have such problems.
I personally don't use the pre-setup files, as creating such a file is part of the fun (IMO)...

DerBlitzer

Reaction score
Country
llTurkey
Try opening the scenario file in an older version of VASL (probably 4.x) and then saving the file from that version. Then open the saved file in your current version of VASL. Now the counters should appear. However, they may not be updated with all the latest functions, so you might want to start fresh, anyway.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
If the scenario setup file was done under an obsolete VASL version, you can have such problems.
I personally don't use the pre-setup files, as creating such a file is part of the fun (IMO)...
Gotta agree with Robin. I have found little use, and many problems associated with trying to use canned VASL setup files.

It really isn't that hard to set it up yourself....and you KNOW the versions align with your VASL.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gotta agree with Robin. I have found little use, and many problems associated with trying to use canned VASL setup files.
Same experience here. Always had to diligently check each one to be sure everything was there. Its quicker to set it up oneself.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I always make my own. As Fred says, it's quicker to setup yourself and then you also gain a bit more familiarity with the board and your OOB in the process.

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
There's some adv. to the setup files. Even if the ctrs must be replaced, the boards/overlays/EC are (presumably) correctly arranged. Some VASLeers don't want to mess w/ the process of placing map-overlays, etc., that can be cumbersome if you're not familiar w/ the procedure.

Me, I'm w/ Robin, I think that doing the scenario setup is an enjoyable part of the game.

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
rk, in his innocence, created a 'scenario updater' thingie for VASSAL. The concept was to replace 'same-named' ctrs in an out-of-date setup file w/ new ctrs from the tray.

Perhaps this thing works ok for other games, but it never worked for me in VASL. It depends to much on a static piece-name & tray-structure, & VASL hasn't reached that point yet. Hah!

Also, most VASL MMC (w/ the new BH/ELR functions) are actually just different presentations or 'states' of an identical ctrdef - for example all the v5.7 Allied Minor E/1/G-class sq/hs ctrs are just variants of the same ctrdef, the updater thingie just can't cope w/ such exquisite subtlety.

I spent a good deal of time w/ some 'orrid large 'updater' ctr-definition txtfiles last summer before I gave up on it. I could usually get Sniper and Armor Leader ctrs to update correctly, but not much else. It's a drag to spend hours editing an updater txtfile, only to apply it & have all the Cave-counters turn into, say, Assault Boats. I coulda mebbe worked w/ that, but they didn't even retain the correct CA, so I gave up!

serpico

Reaction score
Interesting responses but did you guys actually read my post or just see VASL bugs me? :D

I re-installed the vasl program and Java.....works good now (crossing fingers) :p

I was up late last night , haven't had enough coffee........:OHNO:

So, anyone know where the OtO map is, pleeeeese? I didn't find it on the vasl.org website......

I have no problem doing my own set ups either but I thought that's what the files were created for? Heck if I just got the map, that would be fine....which ABtF does BTW.......just thought there was some fixable problem making the counters blank.

I was also wondering about the LOS checking....I can use the function ok but it doesn't seem to identify hindrances too good, is this normal?

Can someone explain to me what the countertray button is used for? Is this just to keep your counters organized?

Thanks for all the input......Paul ;)

Last edited:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Interesting responses but did you guys actually read my post or just see VASL bugs me? :D

I re-installed the vasl program and Java.....works good now (crossing fingers) :p

I was up late last night , haven't had enough coffee........:OHNO:

So, anyone know where the OtO map is, pleeeeese? I didn't find it on the vasl.org website......

I have no problem doing my own set ups either but I thought that's what the files were created for? Heck if I just got the map, that would be fine....which ABtF does BTW.......just thought there was some fixable problem making the counters blank.

Thanks for all the input......Paul ;)
http://www.heatofbattle.com/service.htm

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I was also wondering about the LOS checking....I can use the function ok but it doesn't seem to identify hindrances too good, is this normal
The LOS checker only works on the geomorphic maps, not the HASL maps. It will draw you a string on the ABtF map, but not make any calculations for you.

Can someone explain to me what the countertray button is used for? Is this just to keep your counters organized?
I believe this is a personalisable countertray to keep counters that you find yourself using a lot in a game. I can't remember if it saves these for future gams or if it just holds counters for the current session - I think the latter.

serpico

Reaction score
The LOS checker only works on the geomorphic maps, not the HASL maps. It will draw you a string on the ABtF map, but not make any calculations for you.

Well, I checked LOS on an SK board and it didn't include all the hindrances......:rolleyes:

I believe this is a personalisable countertray to keep counters that you find yourself using a lot in a game. I can't remember if it saves these for future gams or if it just holds counters for the current session - I think the latter.
I kinda figured that....Thanks!

Paul

serpico

Reaction score
No big deal I just noticed the LOS was off by 1 hindrance......

The Dicebot kinda sucks though.....the twister seems a bit more "Random" anyone else notice this? But in the end, dice rolls usually even out somewhere.....

Not complaining here I do appreciate all the work put into vasl, you guys deserve alot of credit to bring asl across the oceans......:cool:

Paul ;)

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
No big deal I just noticed the LOS was off by 1 hindrance......

The Dicebot kinda sucks though.....the twister seems a bit more "Random" anyone else notice this? But in the end, dice rolls usually even out somewhere.....

Not complaining here I do appreciate all the work put into vasl, you guys deserve alot of credit to bring asl across the oceans......:cool:

Paul ;)
He he...you're new her, aincha'? The relative randomness and merits of the dicebot vs Twister vs real dice has been the topic of many and varied, not to mention "lively", discussions here.... :blab:

I don't know if the topic still has the traction to start another..."discussion", but it is always interesting to listen in on the discussion...and watch the interaction between the statistically literate and the statistically uninitiated....:smoke:

Last edited:

maxwelk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott, I just went thru the available downloads at HoB and VASL.org.

There is a standard-size map, oto2, which downloads ok. The Red-Barricades style mapboard, OTO, does not.

Which leaves me with the question, where is the Primisole Bridge map? I know there's one floating around (I have it) but there isn't one posted at VASL.org. For that matter, the SK maps t and u aren't there, either.

Bigkayeh

Court Jester of absurdity
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Which leaves me with the question, where is the Primisole Bridge map? I know there's one floating around (I have it) but there isn't one posted at VASL.org. For that matter, the SK maps t and u aren't there, either.
The t and uboards are at the vaslmapcabal