The Replacements WO25

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Winter Offensive, Friday evening

Neil Stanhagen and I settled down for some 1942 Ost Front sturm und drang, but with the Italians attacking instead of the Germans. Random side selection gave me the Italians. The Italians have to drive across three deluxe board widths in six turns to capture two buildings that flank the center road of the last board. The Italian squads are elite, and they have a flamethrower and six tanks. The Soviets have twelve squads. The Soviets face the tanks with a 45L ATG, two of their superior ATRs and MOL-capability against tanks only.

The Replacements.jpg

Neil set up an up-front defense on the hill where the Italians entered. The road over the hills led to a great arc of Soviet firepower. There were a few units on the north and south flanks too. I considered that the center was probably a death trap, but attacking on the flanks was hampered by no clear route for the tanks. Fortunately the Italian tanks are fairly good. They have radios and low ground pressure. Their armor is not over-whelming but is adequate for the job. About their only major failing is that the MA is B11.

My attack was to put two tanks in the middle, three in the north and one in the south. In both the north and south a tank drove into the woods at half movement factors on the first turn. The tank in the south busted right through, but the one in the north bogged. I had a second tank right behind the bogged tank, so I wasn't too concerned about the bog. One tank in the middle went to the top of the hill and the other waited below the crest. This first tank found the 45L ATG in an unfortunate manner, but I had expected that. I wanted to know if the gun was there or elsewhere, and I was willing to pay for the information. Some of the Italian infantry supported the tanks while others scrambled up the hill to engage the Soviet line.

The first three or so turns were spent pushing through the Soviet line on the hill. My hope was to get behind Neil's forces, but he was too canny for that. He started moving two or three squads back fairly early, although he left most of the infantry on the hill to engage mine. In fact my infantry on the hill was having a tough time. The Soviet HMG was set up in the tall building in the center of the back board with the 9-1 leader, and he was crushing whole piles of Italians. The assaults on the upper portions of the hill were faring badly. At several points I was afraid the Soviets would counter-attack and drive me back the way I came. The major success was the breakthrough in the north, where three Italian tanks were through the woods along with roughly two platoons of infantry. The Italian third turn reinforcements came in on the north edge unopposed, and the Soviets were now being attacked on the board with the victory buildings.

At this point the game started to turn for the Italians. Using their tanks and a large pile of infantry they pushed the Soviet squad & HMG out of its perch. It broke as it tried to retreat back across the iJ2 street. A lucky shot (six up two) early broke the concealed squad in iG1. This building has an upper level, meaning that the defender can rout upstairs to delay the building capture. The Italians drove their tanks into buildings to flush the Soviets and eliminate for failure to rout. A last Soviet squad was concealed in iI1, the wooden victory building. It skulked out of the building to avoid the Italian force built up outside its doors, but pinned outside the building, letting the Italians walk in for the victory.

Neil's comment was that he should have guarded the northern board edge against the Italian reinforcements. This certainly would have slowed down that Italian force, and may have bought the time he needed. Overall it was a nice scenario. The Italians get a chance to show that they can blitzkrieg as well as the next axis nation, although they do have to get through the woods first.

JR

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
It's Deluxe. There are nine green spots in orchards instead of four :)

Is Chapter J provided with the WO pack ?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Chapter J comes with the v2 rulebook, no? If you aren't playing with the v2 rulebook, you got some 'splainin' to do
JR
I was wondering whether the re-launch of Deluxe meant that MMP had a look at 30-years old Chapter J rules and updated them. Whether it is necessary or not to update them is another question. On top of my head, i can only quote the VBM clearance, which still uses regular counters as there is no ref in Ch. J if i am not mistaken. It's only a couple of pages to reprint...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
There's nothing to update. No one plays vehicle bypass correctly anyway, so there's no point in trying to get the scale right on deluxe maps. Most of the other "rules" cover how units are positioned in the hex. We've all been using hand-to-hand for years without problems. The other rules changes are: small outbuildings in hexes with larger buildings are level one obstacles, residual FP on a bypass unit only affects the hexside, and wall advantage is per hexside, not for the whole hex.

JR

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really wanna VASLize those boards. Will look into it.

Looking at the Crags on board l, it's interesting that they don't appear on the lower part of the crestline. Re-reading B10.1, I think this was probably intentional; the Crags should only affect LOS through the higher level of the hex.

OTOH, if the board designer wanted to put some crags on the lower level of the hex, I don't think it would break anybody's brain at all. Well, wait. One might opine that B10.1 says "Inherent Terrain... rises from the actual hill depiction," and so crags on the lower level of the hex might technically rise to the same height as those on the upper level of the hex. So let me clarify that IN MY OPINION, the common-sense way to play this would be to have the crags rise from whichever level they're on, to normal Crag height above that level. But I know that's not necessarily canon (given that B10.1 doesn't treat Grain, Brush, and Woods that way), so I'll just leave it at that.

Suffice to say that when I draw crags on crestline hexes, I'm gonna probably put them on the lower level as well (since boulders roll... down) and make a note to clarify the intent in an SSR.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Looking at the Crags on board l, it's interesting that they don't appear on the lower part of the crestline. Re-reading B10.1, I think this was probably intentional; the Crags should only affect LOS through the higher level of the hex.
For inherent terrain the terrain is throughout the hex. The depiction has no bearing on what parts of the hex are affected; there is no part of the hex that is not crag. What B10.1 says is that the crag is at the level of the base color of that part of the hex. The crag in lG5 is at level two in the dark brown part of the hex, at level one in the light brown part and at level zero in the green part. LOS from lF5 to lH5 would be hindered by crag, for example. Depicting crag at lower levels might remind players of the rules, but it should not affect how the hex should be played. All this applies to other inherent terrain including wrecks, where it is rather counter-intuitive.

JR

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The hill layout has been updated and looks very much like LFT's.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this one today against Lynn "#OwnsTuomo" Swanson. I had all week to mull over the setup, and that was too long, as my first gut instinct on ATG placement would have been perfect, but alas, I over-thought myself and moved it two days ago.

lG2 is where I wanted to put it initially, figuring the Italians would send at least SOME tanks straight up the gut. But the Italians have six tanks and I thought the ATG needed to bag at least two, hopefully 3-4, in order to give the Russians hope against Lynn, who knows how to use VBM Freeze and other smart tank tricks. I also thought for sure that some of the Italian tanks would swing around either side of the hill, but nope. Eventually I placed the ATG back to ii4, where he did indeed bag two tanks (and temporarily shocked a third) before succumbing to the Italian flamethrower.

Ultimately, that was the story here. In preparation for the last turn Italian rush, I had packed the defense in around ii1:
ii1: 9-0, 447/lmg, 447/lmg (the remaining victory building)
ij1: 7-0 (to block Italians from coming into that hex)
ii3: 9-1, 228/HMG
ig3: 237/lmg

I thought this was reasonably strong, but Lynn had three tanks left. The first guy VBM froze my HMG stack, being immobilized but still alive. The second guy VBM froze ig3. The third guy pulled up next to the victory building and ate a couple of spraying fire lmg shots that left 1RFP in ih0, ih1, and ii2, took an ineffective BFF shot but declined to VBM freeze the hex. I thought this was a mistake, as he had a good chance of doing so, allowing the remaining horde of Italian infantry (with the FT) to come up and break the Russians in Advancing Fire. As it was, I was banking on the resid and an inexhaustible supply of FPF shots from the Commissar's stack, but they all broke on the first such shot, and that was that.

So. Six Italian tanks against one ATG and two ATRs. With lots of Italian 447s who'd love nothing more than to trade man-for-man in HtH CC. Hmmmm.

And yes, the Russians need to use that Commissar up front on the hill for a few turns before racing back to the city board, probably on their turn 2 so that the Italian reinforcements don't catch them out of position. But even though that happened in my game, with two Italian tanks chasing them through the orchards, they simply self-broke and routed toward the city board anyway, so if your Commissar game is on point (en pointe?), then you'll be very much helped.

Beautiful boards, BTW. I spent plenty of time staring at the Wall artwork trying to figure out how it was done. Challenge!