The Dirty Dozen

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Found myself watching The Dirty Dozen for about the 50th time last night and realized something about the show. What ever happens to Posey (the big guy)? Everyone else they at least show them getting killed in great detail or a little snippet, except the guy who died during the jump. However, I noticed that they never show what happens to Posey. His fox hole mate is killed my MG fire at the end, but that's about the closest they get to showing anything about him.

Just found that was odd given the time they spent building his character out on the front end.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Found myself watching The Dirty Dozen for about the 50th time last night and realized something about the show. What ever happens to Posey (the big guy)? Everyone else they at least show them getting killed in great detail or a little snippet, except the guy who died during the jump. However, I noticed that they never show what happens to Posey. His fox hole mate is killed my MG fire at the end, but that's about the closest they get to showing anything about him.

Just found that was odd given the time they spent building his character out on the front end.
I seem to remember him dieing...but without the detail of the others (like Jim Brown or Telly Savalas)? Interesting point , they do seem to just drop him?

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I seem to remember him dieing...but without the detail of the others (like Jim Brown or Telly Savalas)? Interesting point , they do seem to just drop him?
I have a DVR and even rewound it once I noticed it. The last scene is him shooting a MG42 at something going over the bridge and you can see him next to his buddy shooting the .30 caliber when he gets hit. I guess his death got left on the editing room floor.

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Clint Walker was asked about it in a later interview, and he said that the death scene was never filmed. It was probably in the script somewhere, but they just forgot to film it.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Clint Walker was asked about it in a later interview, and he said that the death scene was never filmed. It was probably in the script somewhere, but they just forgot to film it.
Ah, the missing piece of the puzzle. Thanks. I am glad someone else noticed it too.

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah, the missing piece of the puzzle. Thanks. I am glad someone else noticed it too.
For sure, it's always bothered me too. Posey was one of the few likeable characters in the squad, and they did spend a good bit of timesetting the character up and then he just seems to disappear.

Aldrich filmed the movie mostly in sequence, and it was a bit chaotic at times. There seemed to be a lot of actors' egos forcing last minute changes in the script, with actors refusing to do certain scenes and the scenes being given to different characters. They probably didn't realize they didn'y have a death scene filmed for Posey until it was too late.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

When it shows him fighting the Germans with the small guy, you could tell he was not going to make it. When the camera focused on the toy Duck, it meant Posey and his little buddy did not make it.

Besides, it was "WWII Holloywood Style"......

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When it shows him fighting the Germans with the small guy, you could tell he was not going to make it. When the camera focused on the toy Duck, it meant Posey and his little buddy did not make it.
Ah, so it was like a David Lynch film in that scene. Got it, thanks.