Split Multi-Level Building Movement Options

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia

Given the Above situation: Assume there are NO other units and assume this is the FULL play area. It is the Beginning of the Rout Phase.
What are the Rout options for the broken wounded SMC in N4?
Site rule sections for options NOT allowed.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Must rout to N3 and assuming no other building adjacent, would end its RtPh there. Can't rout to M4 as it is getting closer (i.e. decreasing the range) to a KEU in L4 (A10.51) & can't rout upstairs in N4 because there's no stairwell in the hex (B23.72 & B23.23). All other Locations would violate A10.5 as it would leave the broken unit ADJACENT to a KEU,

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
What time zone is the POSTED time based in ??? Looks like GMT 0....

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think M4 is a valid rout destination and safe to remain in to boot. The unit in L4 is not a Known Enemy Unit initially because it is out of the SMC's LOS, so the SMC can rout closer to that unit. Once in M4, the routing SMC does have a LOS to the unit in L4, but he is not ADJACENT to that (now) KEU because a unit in L4 can't advance across the cliff hexside into any level of M4.

Yes?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've seen a lot of stupid online videos where dudes make that sort of jump. o_O

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The LOS is straight down the hexspine. The broken unit in N4 has LOS to L4.

JR
And I even looked at the example on LOS along cliffs before replying. Duh!

Thanks for the correction.

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Must rout to N3 and assuming no other building adjacent, would end its RtPh there. Can't rout to M4 as it is getting closer (i.e. decreasing the range) to a KEU in L4 (A10.51) & can't rout upstairs in N4 because there's no stairwell in the hex (B23.72 & B23.23). All other Locations would violate A10.5 as it would leave the broken unit ADJACENT to a KEU,
I am not sure this is true. The staircase symbol in 23.72 is what denotes a Split level building. If you look at the example it appears that you can go up and down in M3. the rule only explains how you get down to the ground level of the building, nothing about going up to level 1
Would like to see this go to Perry

10709 Is there an inherent stair way in Q8 ground level to Q8 first level

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
And I even looked at the example on LOS along cliffs before replying. Duh!
I once asked Perry (in person) at what level the cliff depiction is. He said, at the higher level in the higher hex and the lower level in the lower hex. As far as I know that is not officially stated anywhere. Cliff depiction in a depression is at the lower level [B11.2], so I always assumed it was at the lower level on hexside cliffs too until Perry told me otherwise. However per the B11.2 EX LOS exactly along a cliff hexside is open.

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The staircase symbol in 23.72 is what denotes a Split level building
B23.72:
"Multi-hex buildings located on different elevation levels ..." -They can both with or without printed stairwells.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am not sure this is true. The staircase symbol in 23.72 is what denotes a Split level building. If you look at the example it appears that you can go up and down in M3. the rule only explains how you get down to the ground level of the building, nothing about going up to level 1
Would like to see this go to Perry

View attachment 10709 Is there an inherent stair way in Q8 ground level to Q8 first level
No, there is only the printed stairwell in R8.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
No, there is only the printed stairwell in R8.
I wondered about this. B23.72 says that is "actually a combination of 1st and 2nd level building hexes." This suggests (but does not say) that the building has the characteristics of a two-story house [B23.22] and a multi-story building [B23.23]. Since the rule didn't use the formal term "two story house," I decided that it was not the case, and that the building did not have an inherent stairwell in R8. But I wondered about it.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wondered about this. B23.72 says that is "actually a combination of 1st and 2nd level building hexes." This suggests (but does not say) that the building has the characteristics of a two-story house [B23.22] and a multi-story building [B23.23]. Since the rule didn't use the formal term "two story house," I decided that it was not the case, and that the building did not have an inherent stairwell in R8. But I wondered about it.

JR
Same here, but went with the EX in B23.72 that seemed to intimate the only way to enter the first level of Q8 was by way of the second level of R8.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Same here, but went with the EX in B23.72 that seemed to intimate the only way to enter the first level of Q8 was by way of the second level of R8.
You have to read that EX carefully too. It says, "A unit in 15R8 moving within the building directly to Level 1 of Q8 must move by way of the second level Location in R8 and vice versa," that is it starts by assuming that the unit begins in 15R8. It does not say that a unit that starts in Q8 at ground has to move to R8 first, take the stairs, and then move back into Q8, which would definitely be proof that only the printed stairwell exists. The writer of the EX might only be thinking of single moves from R8 to Q8, without any additional moves, so I wouldn't read it as proof that there is no stairwell in R8, only that it doesn't prove the existence of a stairwell in that R8.

JR

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
You have to read that EX carefully too. It says, "A unit in 15R8 moving within the building directly to Level 1 of Q8 must move by way of the second level Location in R8 and vice versa," that is it starts by assuming that the unit begins in 15R8. It does not say that a unit that starts in Q8 at ground has to move to R8 first, take the stairs, and then move back into Q8, which would definitely be proof that only the printed stairwell exists. The writer of the EX might only be thinking of single moves from R8 to Q8, without any additional moves, so I wouldn't read it as proof that there is no stairwell in R8, only that it doesn't prove the existence of a stairwell in that R8.

JR
the rule clearly states "the hex containing the stairwell is a...." ergo, one stairwell only, the printed stairwell.

Note that the rule doesn't say "printed stairwell" or "containing the stairwell symbol" it refers to just the solitary stairwell itself. If there was an inherent stairwell in the other hex, the rule would refer to a "printed stairwell" in order to differentiate the two. Since there is only one stairwell - the printed one - that is not necessary.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
….. B23.72 says that is "actually a combination of 1st and 2nd level building hexes." This suggests (but does not say) that the building has the characteristics of a two-story house [B23.22] and a multi-story building [B23.23].
I like a lot this way to read ASL rulesbook. ?

DrDryg

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
My question is why anyone would build such a crazy house by a cliff.. I say BURN IT!! Kindle it and stop this routing nonsense! but if kindling is N/A I would say that it is reasonable that the portion i N4 is a lvl 1 building as B23.22 and has an inherent staircase. If it would have two staircase symbols it would be a building as in 23.721.