Set D.C...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
aloha
I'm new to this group,
And did try a search before asking this...
Here is the situation...
I've a squad with a leader and a D.C. out of sight... as Russian enters on turn one...if I'm several hexs back from his LOS to the hex, may I just announce that I'm making a set D.C., then move away and wait to blow it?
If he cannot see the hex, is it a hidden move, then forcing him to to start searching to find?
Or must I tell him where I placed the set DC?
I think I not have to name hex
He says I do...
We both agree smarter minds here will resolve this question.
Of course only if this question was stated in the way smarter minds understand...lol
Aloha

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
And unprocessed SW may not be concealed. You have to leave the DC on board.

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
There also is G1.6121 A-T SET DC.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There also is G1.6121 A-T SET DC.
This is a weird rule....
...a road is not a separate location (the rule states the DC must be in the road Location)...but if it was a palm tree-road say...it then says "enters its location..". So what of the tank says I am not claiming the road only palm trees... could it be attacked? Hmmm, there is no other location in the hex...so yes...then there is the AFv does not have to claim the road...so what did that bit about saying 'its road Location" mean? Location in cap L.

Just for the record, my house rule is the DC attacks whether you claim road or palm trees...or road or OG...and so on...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Anyway, one rarely has the time to set a DC.
I would concentrate on the more frequent opportunities to place or throw it.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyway, one rarely has the time to set a DC.
I would concentrate on the more frequent opportunities to place or throw it.
It is a freebie in the case you noted...plentyyyy of time. I grant you it is a rare opportunity use rule in the case of the rule you note.
It is a rule that needs an update...IMO. It is like AT-Ditch a sort of after thought rule...in the sense that the AT Ditch can be bypassed like a trench...and thus the road set DC can too...it seems to me....

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It is a rule that needs an update...IMO. It is like AT-Ditch a sort of after thought rule...in the sense that the AT Ditch can be bypassed like a trench...and thus the road set DC can too...it seems to me....
So wait...you want to update the rule so you can bypass an AT-Set DC with an AT Ditch?

JR

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So wait...you want to update the rule so you can bypass an AT-Set DC with an AT Ditch?

JR
Yes, but only to prevent you from doing so. The rest of the rubble can carry on. You however, cannot pass GO.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I've never had a DC actually do anything after all the effort to chuck into the enemy hex!

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played a young man last night that attempted to throw a DC on me twice. It was like a +6 to me and a +7 to him. He rolled 10 and 11 on me and I rolled 3 on him both times. :D Don't throw DCs.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I played a young man last night that attempted to throw a DC on me twice. It was like a +6 to me and a +7 to him. He rolled 10 and 11 on me and I rolled 3 on him both times. :D Don't throw DCs.
Although it isn't too clear in the rules, I believe the thrower makes both DRs as it is his attack. This could make a difference for SAN attacks.

JR

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That could be true. I prefer to roll my own attacks and I would let any player that wanted to proceed that way do so as well. I didn't consider the SAN aspect of it. If that had occurred, I would have likely given him the SAN roll as well.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've always played it the way JR said, who's making the attack anyhow? Doesn't matter who is affected does it?

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alright, we seemed to have reached a consensus that I played it incorrectly. As far as I'm concerned, I caught the DC and threw it back at him. ;)

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I've always felt that the rolls are made by the placing player.
If he kills himself with it, it's solely due to his own decisions and dice rolls in that case.
Fitting and logical.
And I agree: never throw DC.
It never seems to end well in my experience.
When my gang were noobs we all thought it would be fun to try it, and it always backfired on the thrower.
Just like the halftrack sprint in RB.
It just ends up making a smoke screen.