Red Barricades CG III

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CG Day Three: Completed

Red Barricades - CG III Stalingrad
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Three - 19 Oct 1942

Charlie Willmer - German
Jim White - Russian

German Assault

Recon - None
Weather - Clear
EC - Dry
Wind - None
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scenario Length - 7 Turns
German Victory - 167 Stone Locations

See Perimeter Image Here as of the end of 19 Oct. (900+ Kb).

The Perimeter is marked as follows:
  • Blue: German
  • Red: Russian
  • Yellow: No Man's Land
  • Green: Pockets
All units and counters still required to be on the map have been removed for purposes of this screen shot.

German Reinforcements (15 CPP) - 19 October
  • Rifle Coy - Full Strength, 9-1, 8-1, 8-0
  • Rifle Coy - Full Strength, 9-1, 8-1, 7-0
Total German Order of Battle - SAN 3 - ELR 4
  • Squads - 57.5
  • Leaders - 15
  • PzKw IIIL - 2
  • Armor Leader - 1

Russian Reinforcements (18 CPP--including 1 saved CPP from prior CG Day) - 19 October
  • Rifle Coy - Depleted, 9-0, 7-0, HMG, LMG
  • Militia Coy - Full Strength, 7-0
  • 80mm Battalion Mortar - Scarce Ammo with Field Phone
  • Molotov Capability
  • 4 Fortifications - 160 FPP
    • HIP squads - 5
    • Fortified Locations - 3
    • 6FP A-P Minefields - 5
    • ? Counters - 25
Total Russian Order of Battle - SAN 4 - ELR 2
  • Squads - 44.5
  • Leaders - 8
  • 45LL AT Guns - 1

Total Losses - 19 October

German:
  • Squads - 12.5
  • Leaders - 3
Russian:
  • Squads - 26.5
  • Leaders - 0
  • Crews - 0
  • MMG - 2
  • LMG - 2
  • 50mm Mtr - 2
  • 45LL AT Gun - 1

Breakdown of Losses - 19 October

German:
  • Small Arms - 4.5 Squads, 1 Leader
  • Close Combat - 6 Squads, 2 Leaders
  • Tank/Gun Fire - None
  • Artillery - 1.5 Squads
  • Failure to Rout - None
  • Sniper - None
  • Fate - .5 Squads
  • Malfunctioned - None
  • Captured by enemy - None
  • Evacuated - None
Russian:
  • Small Arms - 9.5 Squads
  • Close Combat - 9 Squads, 1 LMG
  • Tank/Gun Fire - None
  • Artillery - None
  • Failure to Rout - 5.5 Squads
  • Sniper - .5 Squads
  • Air Support - None
  • Commissars - 1.5 Squad
  • Malfunctioned - 1 MMG
  • Captured by enemy - 1 LMG, 1 MMG, 2 50mm Mtr
  • Evacuated - None
  • Escape Attempt (Refit Phase) - .5 Squads

Total Losses for the Campaign

German:
  • Squads - 35
  • Leaders - 9
  • Crews - 0
  • PzKwIIIL - 1
Russian:
  • Squads - 78
  • Leaders - 4
  • Crews - 2
  • HMG - 0
  • MMG - 5
  • LMG - 6
  • 50mm Mtr - 3
  • ATR - 3
  • 45LL ATG - 2

Artillery Breakdown - 19 October

German:
  • None
Russian:
  • 80mm Battalion Mortar - 3 Fire Missions

Heat of Battle - 19 October

German:
  • Heroes - 4
  • Berserk - 1.5 Squads
  • Battle Harden - 3 Squads, 1 Leader
Russians:
  • Heroes - None
  • Berserk - 3 Squads
  • Battle Harden - 1 Squad

Leader Generation - 19 October

German:
  • Self-Rally - None
  • Close Combat - 1
Russians:
  • Self-Rally - None
  • Close Combat - 1

Isolated Units - 19 October

German - None

Russian - None

Other Information - 19 October

Immobilized PzKw IIIL w/8-1 Armor Leader - 1

Aftermath during the ensuing Refit Phase for 20 October

German:
  • 9-1 promoted to 9-2
  • Removed the C22 minefield
  • Unable to repair the Immobilized PzKw IIIL
Russian:
  • 7-0 promoted to 8-0
  • SAN drops to 3

Russian Commentary:
Ok...all the hopes for evening things out went right out the shattered shells of Stalingrad buildings. One of the things I really like about Campaign Games is the dice luck factor is REALLY minimized over the course of playing. Well...while I don't like to complain...and I think my opponent will actually agree with me...my luck has been horrible. Broken weapons, disrupted units all over the place, and ineffective fire on the enemy just continued into the third day of battle. My Sniper has been totally ineffective despite a large amount of SAN rolls. Booby Trap Level C? What is that? There has been no...repeat NO...booby trap attacks in three days! But...I digress. Rant off.

Ok..despite my bad luck...credit must be given to my opponent who has been relentless in the attack. He has taken advantage of every crack or hole in my lines without respite and with great skill. The Germans basically are a giant steamroller right now and the Russians do not have the manpower to hold everywhere...much less anywhere. Although by around Turn 3 or 4 it seemed the Germans were slowing down...whether by choice or whatever...my Russians were starting to feel a little letup in the pressure. It appeared...for a slight time...that the Germans appeared to be happy with getting to the Alternate Hexrow 20/21 road that splits the factory complex...and I was glad for it. If the game could end after 5 Turns (I could only hope) I would consider it a moral victory...and a not-very-costly victory...since I had been trading space for time instead of going toe-to-toe with a superior force. Side note: having never played Charlie with him on the attack...it took me a CG Day and half to realize there was nothing subtle about his methods. He is aggressive...which cost me a lot of men early on. But anyway...Turn 5 came around...and it all fell apart once again. In this one turn...I lost seven...repeat seven...Close Combats in a row...basically ripping a huge whole in the center of my lines. The lost troops were my entire force left north of the road who were planning on falling back in the next turn. Plus...I lost all seven despite being Stealthy and/or Concealed in all of them. Ambush? Yeah..I probably Ambushed the Germans in 3 or 4 of them too. Didn't matter.

Well...the Game didn't end after Turn 5 and in Turn 6 Charlie saw the opening and took full advantage of it. Every troop in the area began heading for the opening and his aggressiveness easily allowed the Germans to jump the road and the race was on. Voluntary rout became my only hope to save what was left in the area...that and the game ending on Turn 6. It didn't. The Russians had to endure one more Game Turn before it mercifully ended after Turn 7.

Oh...I did hold the B23 Building again. Although I have a feeling that position may quickly become untenable...right around German Turn 1 of the next CG Day...:)

It's not looking good...but Personal Morale Check has once again been taken and passed. This damn CG is too much fun to quit now.

German Commentary:

I have to admire Jim. His die rolls in this day really did suck but he keeps passing the PMC (Personal Morale CHeck). Don't know how he does it. His rant above is far too short, far far too short.

My goals for 19 Oct were simple. Close up to the hex row 21 road. Nothing fancy.

In the first four turns things were moving according to plan, mostly. The B23 building proved to be a problem. Minefields outside and MMCs in the cellars, so I had to back off and hold in the C20 building. Progress in the factories was going well and I was confident that I could reach the row 21 road. A platoon was getting their feet wet wading along the river bank and made much more progress than I expected.

By the end of the German player turn 5 things changed in a big way. The die rolls turned in my favor (and so quickly it would wrench your neck). There is no way I should have won seven consectutive CC rolls!!!!!!!!!!! And against concealed stealthy units. That ripped a twenty hex wide (row D to W) hole in the Russian center. Twenty hexes!!!!!!! The entire German army raced for the opening. Now I had the chance to pick up the better part of the four factories south of the road. If the game lasted. The die failed him again and the game went to seven turns. There is no Russian center and I've got a solid line from row E to U.

No idle days now.

Last edited:

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For extra coolness, I was able to open each of the three maps (17th, 18th, 19th) in a separate tab in my browser (Mozilla Firefox) and flip back and forth between them as a slide show. Quite impressive seeing that German perimeter advance across the map -- and to see the terrain changing as buildings burned.

Thanks for the ongoing reports!

John

FrankH.

Reaction score
Great AAR.

Let me check if I have this right. Before next CG scenario purchases the Russian has 18 squads, and the German has 45 squads? If this continues the Russian needs as much infantry as possible, but only 2 Coy may be purchased on Oct. 20.

One more Militia Coy is available, for 4 CPP. The other company should be Elite Rifle / SMG, setup on the map. An argument could be made for the Elite company to set up as Reserve. Any remaining CPP should go for 80 mm OBA and/or Fortification for concealment. Molotov Capability might be a reasonable purchase for added firepower, flame potential, and limited protection vs. German armor.

It appears the Russian did manage to retain 8 leaders vs. 12 for the Germans. The Russians then have enough leaders left to free up one or two as OBA observers.

I have not seen much comment on the amount of terrain change and effects of blazes in this CG. The Russian should be attempting to kindle any and all terrain possible.

Frank

Beseler

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
For those of us enjoying TWO RBCGIII's in progress here on the forums, I had first imagined what I though Legion/JPs game would look like at the end of 19 Oct., perimeter-wise, then I open up yours, and it's exactly what i imagined!

Should the map look the same, and should the losses be 2:1, am I right that over all these two CGs will be very much the same? Or has the Russian in the other CG lost substantially more men?