Questions re MMP's Version of Soldiers of the Negus

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I started out wondering about the first question below and dug out my copy of the CH release of SoN, which led to some others:

(1) Will the Ethiopian and Eritrean forces in the MMP release of SotN have the same classifications and firepower/range/morale as in the CH release?

Ethiopian: Elite: 3-4-7/6; 1st (boxed): 3-3-7/7; 1st: (regular): 2-3-7/6; Conscript: 2-2-6/5

Eritrean: 1st: 3-4-7/6; 2nd: 3-3-6/5

(2) I'm assuming the Eritrean counters will still be Italian colored (which will undoubtedly create confusion in Eritrean vs. Finn scenarios, but that's a different thread), but what color will the Ethiopian counters be? (I vote pale red if a decision hasn't been made on that point yet.)

(3) Will Ethiopian SMCs have linguistically appropriate names? (CH's release mostly used its stock "personalized" SMC names, so we have "Lamb," "Parillo," etc. for Ethiopian officers)

(4) Any additional ordnance types for the Ethiopians? (CH's release included only "Type 1911" ART and "Oerlikon 37mm" AA.)

(5) Any new "chrome" (besides the existing Ethiopian mass rush and tank flip attacks) such as rules for Italian airstrikes or chemical weapons use? :gas:

(6) Will the SoN-specific terrain types be entirely confined to an HASL-style separate chapter or, since Chapter F is being revised anyway, will the terrain types be folded into that chapter?

(7) Any rules or counters for Azebu Galla irregulars? (They fought on the Italian side, but using the Eritrean counters would put them in way too high a weight class!)

Last edited:

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
chuckles. Linguistically appropriate? Nah, how about giving him the benefit of the doubt as far as sense of fashion.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
chuckles. Linguistically appropriate? Nah, how about giving him the benefit of the doubt as far as sense of fashion.

LOL! I was assuming the counter artwork would be revised. :laugh:

Also, to elaborate on question #4, Wikipedia states the Ethiopians had 81 mm Brandt mortars at the battle of Maychew. (Yes, I know, grain of salt, but that would be a very odd and specific thing for someone to make up.)

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The version we publish will be based on Rick Thomas' original "ELR" production. We haven't made any final decisions on the details you're asking about.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The version we publish will be based on Rick Thomas' original "ELR" production. We haven't made any final decisions on the details you're asking about.
Thanks, Chas! I know HL isn't the next product on deck, but I wasn't sure how far along in the pipeline it was.

ADDENDUM: I should add that while I was aware that SotN was originally published by ELR, I've only seen the CH version, so I don't know how the two earlier versions compare.

Last edited:

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
ADDENDUM: I should add that while I was aware that SotN was originally published by ELR, I've only seen the CH version, so I don't know how the two earlier versions compare.
Well, the CH version had mostly much higher production values -- the ELR version had quite crude components (perfectly usable though). More usefully, though, ELR included a small errata sheet, which was more than the CH version managed -- not integrating the known errata at all. (Not that the errata was very extensive or especially significant IIRC.)

nitro

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Also, CH version took off the historical (or looking like) names on leader counters to replace them with CH's friends names (or looking like names) which was a pity .

They manage to add errors to an otherwise unrevisited publication.

I have ELR version and I'm very happy about it. As well as I'm happy learning that MMP wishes to start from that one.

ELR counters had to be mounted using band-lets of cardboard and bandlets of printed paper to be glued around the cardboard... Seems so far away.

Tank flippers were a blast...

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LOL! I was assuming the counter artwork would be revised. :laugh:

Also, to elaborate on question #4, Wikipedia states the Ethiopians had 81 mm Brandt mortars at the battle of Maychew. (Yes, I know, grain of salt, but that would be a very odd and specific thing for someone to make up.)
You don't like the PC tribesman counters?

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well who DIDN'T have Brandt mortars, or copeis thereof?

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, since Yanks is probably either finished shipping or close to being finished, I'm bumping this thread again....

Reckall

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
(5) Any new "chrome" (besides the existing Ethiopian mass rush and tank flip attacks) such as rules for Italian airstrikes or chemical weapons use? :gas:
Italians never used gas in tactical battles. It was used as an operational interdiction weapon and, sometimes, against Ethiopian concentration of troops behind the front line - two occurrences beyond the scope of ASL.

I read an interesting article on this topic some years ago, which dispelled a lot of myths but also threw light on some obscure facts inherent the use of gas by Italians in the War for Ethiopia. I must see If I'm able to fish it out again.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States

Well he is sacrificial anyway...

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Italians never used gas in tactical battles. It was used as an operational interdiction weapon and, sometimes, against Ethiopian concentration of troops behind the front line - two occurrences beyond the scope of ASL.

I read an interesting article on this topic some years ago, which dispelled a lot of myths but also threw light on some obscure facts inherent the use of gas by Italians in the War for Ethiopia. I must see If I'm able to fish it out again.
I believe that gas was used by Italians not only against Ethiopian concentration of troops behind the front line, but also against concentrations of Ethiopians i.e. villages and their population. Makes it three occurrences beyond the scope of ASL.

von Marwitz

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Reminds me of the similar "Lewonski" 8-1 and trying to figure out the backstory: son of Polish missionaries that went native to defend his adopted homeland from fascism.

Reckall

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I believe that gas was used by Italians not only against Ethiopian concentration of troops behind the front line, but also against concentrations of Ethiopians i.e. villages and their population. Makes it three occurrences beyond the scope of ASL.

von Marwitz
Yes, that was the third occurrence (which also includes use of gas against cattle herds and other sources of food for Ethiopians).

An interesting strategy devised by Italians was to use Yprite to "block" Ethiopians' routes of advance, sometimes even days before the expected enemy movements. Yprite had high persistence, and most Ethiopians either wore sandals or walked barefoot. After the first (I guess very painful) experiences, the Ethiopians learned to recognise the typical signs of "mustard gas" and avoided those areas - which, however, retained their operational interdiction effect.

All the above, however, is academic. A key point is that Italian soldiers hadn't anti-gas mask in their equipment; only "Chemical Troops" used them - and mostly because they had to handle the chemical agents which were then sent to artillery battalions and the Air Force.

While it is not a good page in our history, Italy had developed a good knowledge of "modern" chemical weapons during the counter-insurgency actions in Libya (led by the infamous general Rodolfo Graziani - who also fought in Ethiopia); and above and beyond all other considerations there was the fact that any use of chem weapons at ASL-level would have affected both parts. End of the story.