Questions about SWs and Guns

pjh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi everyone,

A few questions. Thanks in advance for clarification/answers!

(1) Rule 4.1 (Machine Guns): "If a squad is going to fire its own FP and a MG at the same target (at both the same hex and the same unit) during the same phase, they must form a FG; they may not attack separately unless the MG retains ROF (or the squad attacks in SFF without using the MG)."

Is the text in bold following the semi-colon governed by the antecedent clause? That is, is it: "If a squad is going to fire its own FP and a MG..., they must form a FG AND if a squad is going to fire its own FP and a MG ...., they may not attack separately ..." Or is it: If a squad is going to fire its own FP and a MG..., they must form a FG. On the other hand, if a squad is not going to fire its own FP and a MG ..., they may not attack separately..."?

So here's the difference, I think. Suppose a 447 holds a LMG. It is DFPh. Can the 447 shoot someone at hex E7 and the LMG shoot someone at E8?

(2) Rule 4.5. Since a light mortar is a SW, will the same sort of considerations to #1 apply to it too?

(3) Rule 6.0. I couldn't find out if a crew holding a 5/8" token (i.e., a Gun) can fire on its own during the same phase that it fires the gun. Is there a rule on this?

(4) Rule 6.8. If the Gun is used as IFE, can the crew fire on its own during the same phase that it fires the Gun via IFE?

Thanks in advance. Hope the questions are clear!

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, the 447 can shoot someone at hex E7 and shoot the LMG at someone in E8.

Yes, the 447 can shoot at someone in hex E7 and can fire the MTR at someone in hex E7 or E8. (Mandatory FG does not apply to ordnance.)

Unlike squads, crews and HS cannot fire two weapons (or a weapon and full-strength inherent FP) in the same phase.

But a squad could fire a Gun (IFE or ordnance) and its full-strength inherent FP) in the same phase.

pjh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! That clarifies/answers everything for me, and it clarified the following in Rule 4.0: "A squad may fire any one Weapon at no cost to its own FP. A squad may fire two weapons (and a HS/crew fire one weapon) but forfeits its own FP."

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
(1) Rule 4.1 (Machine Guns): "If a squad is going to fire its own FP and a MG at the same target (at both the same hex and the same unit) during the same phase, they must form a FG; they may not attack separately unless the MG retains ROF (or the squad attacks in SFF without using the MG)."

Is the text in bold following the semi-colon governed by the antecedent clause? That is, is it: "If a squad is going to fire its own FP and a MG..., they must form a FG AND if a squad is going to fire its own FP and a MG ...., they may not attack separately ..." Or is it: If a squad is going to fire its own FP and a MG..., they must form a FG. On the other hand, if a squad is not going to fire its own FP and a MG ..., they may not attack separately..."?

So here's the difference, I think. Suppose a 447 holds a LMG. It is DFPh. Can the 447 shoot someone at hex E7 and the LMG shoot someone at E8?
3.2.2, "a squad may opt to fire its own FP at one target and any possessed Weapon at a different target." Only when the attacks are directed at the same target does mandatory firegroup apply.

(2) Rule 4.5. Since a light mortar is a SW, will the same sort of considerations to #1 apply to it too?
Per 2.0 mortars (including SW mortars) are ordnance, and ordnance do not participate in FG (firegroups).

(3) Rule 6.0. I couldn't find out if a crew holding a 5/8" token (i.e., a Gun) can fire on its own during the same phase that it fires the gun. Is there a rule on this?

(4) Rule 6.8. If the Gun is used as IFE, can the crew fire on its own during the same phase that it fires the Gun via IFE?
As you say, per 4.0 a squad may fire its inherent and one weapon, a crew/hs may not fire its inherent if it uses a weapon [EXC: SFF, FPF].

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi everyone,

A few questions. Thanks in advance for clarification/answers!

Thanks in advance. Hope the questions are clear!
Great question and glad you asked it as I have had some other ASLSK only players ask the same or very similar question.