Orchard and Continuous Slopes (B.5)

B.Lizt

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
B.5 reads "CONTINUOUS SLOPE: A Continuous Slope is a change in elevation such that, in each hex successively crossed by the LOS, the elevation changes by one level in a continuous gradient. All rules pertaining to same-level LOS also apply to Continuous Slope LOS [EXC: walls/hedges and AFV/wreck (D9.4)] even though the latter term is not mentioned, although Height Advantage is unaffected."

In the aforementioned scenario of FT 55 Finnish Blitzkrieg (August-41) my opponent made a shot from L7 (lvl 2 woods) through M7 (lvl 1 orchard) to N6 (2 hexes away, lvl 0 wooden building). This makes a continuous slope.

The orchard rules read:
14.2 "SEASONS: An orchard is not a LOS obstacle between same-level units. However, an orchard hex is considered a one level obstacle to any LOS to/from a higher elevation during the months of April through October, and consequently can create Blind hexes. ...."
14.21 "SAME LEVEL HINDRANCE: Although an orchard does not block same-level LOS, it does Hinder it by adding a +1 DRM for every orchard hex [EXC: see A6.7] between firer and target."

As this is a continous slope, the orchard in M7 would not be a LOS obstacle, but a +1 Hindrance, "even though [continuous slope] is not mentioned in the orchard rules" (B.5).

So the shot would not be blocked, but have a +3 DRM (orchard, wooden building TEM)?
Is that correct?

Now there was a wreck (mol failed to ignite it) in M7, but that would not apply as hindrance here, I assume, as walls/hedges and AFVs/wrecks are specific excetions to B.5?
Correct?

Olav

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
B.5 reads "CONTINUOUS SLOPE: A Continuous Slope is a change in elevation such that, in each hex successively crossed by the LOS, the elevation changes by one level in a continuous gradient. All rules pertaining to same-level LOS also apply to Continuous Slope LOS [EXC: walls/hedges and AFV/wreck (D9.4)] even though the latter term is not mentioned, although Height Advantage is unaffected."

In the aforementioned scenario of FT 55 Finnish Blitzkrieg (August-41) my opponent made a shot from L7 (lvl 2 woods) through M7 (lvl 1 orchard) to N6 (2 hexes away, lvl 0 wooden building). This makes a continuous slope.

The orchard rules read:
14.2 "SEASONS: An orchard is not a LOS obstacle between same-level units. However, an orchard hex is considered a one level obstacle to any LOS to/from a higher elevation during the months of April through October, and consequently can create Blind hexes. ...."
14.21 "SAME LEVEL HINDRANCE: Although an orchard does not block same-level LOS, it does Hinder it by adding a +1 DRM for every orchard hex [EXC: see A6.7] between firer and target."

As this is a continous slope, the orchard in M7 would not be a LOS obstacle, but a +1 Hindrance, "even though [continuous slope] is not mentioned in the orchard rules" (B.5).

So the shot would not be blocked, but have a +3 DRM (orchard, wooden building TEM)?
Is that correct?

Now there was a wreck (mol failed to ignite it) in M7, but that would not apply as hindrance here, I assume, as walls/hedges and AFVs/wrecks are specific excetions to B.5?
Correct?
Correct.

(Never noticed the EXC for walls/hedges and AFVs/wrecks. I'll have to share the surprise with someone else ;-)

JR