Mudflat Entry By AFV

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
The stream in the scenario is dry, so all Marsh hexes are Mudflats. B16.7 states, "All marsh rules apply except where modified below." B16.71 addresses Infantry and Cavalry.

B16.72 states, "Amphibious vehicles may not enter a mudflat in the water movement mode but must use land movement capabilities and roll for Bog instead and pay double Open Ground COT" [bold emphasis mine].

Does this imply that non-Amphibious vehicles, standard AFVs in particular, cannot enter a mudflat hex at all? Does B16.7 mean that B16.41 applies? ["No non-amphibious vehicle, towed or pushed ordnance may enter a marsh hex unless on a bridge."]

This seems to be what it is saying, but I wanted to double-check first. Thanks for any help!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Strictly speaking, this does not imply or say anything about non-amphibious vehicles. It is only about amphibious vehicles, and it says they may enter. This is COWTRA.

Non-amphibious vehicles are covered by B16.7, where, as you quote, it says "All marsh rules apply except as modified below." In turn, B16.41 says, "No non-amphibious vehicle...may enter a marsh hex unless on a bridge."

JR

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Strictly speaking, this does not imply or say anything about non-amphibious vehicles. It is only about amphibious vehicles, and it says they may enter. This is COWTRA.
Instead of "does this imply", perhaps I should have said "may one infer"? Forgive my butchery of the language, my perspicacity apparently failed me.

Thanks for the confirmation.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Instead of "does this imply", perhaps I should have said "may one infer"? Forgive my butchery of the language, my perspicacity apparently failed me.
Again strictly speaking, it neither implies anything about non-amphibious vehicles nor can you infer anything about non-amphibious vehicles from it. The rule allows amphibious vehicles to enter. It does not say anything about non-amphibious vehicles, infantry, cavalry, ridden bicycles, nor migrating wildfowl, and you can not infer anything about these from it. I am "being a jerk" about this because it is a good illustration of one aspect of how COWTRA should be used. The fact that a rule allows units of type X to do something tells you nothing about units not of type X, either positive or negative (unless it says something like, "only units of type X may do something)." You need to find a rule that handles that other case, units not of type X.

JR

Last edited: