MG gets ROF in PFPh - can owning squad move in the MPh?

FlatPackFred

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sorry if I you go "Doh!" when you read this - e.g. that everyone knows this already. A9.2 indicates that the Prep Fire counter is only placed after the MG has lost ROF. If a squad fire an MG without using inherent FP and gets ROF then no PF counter be applied ... and hence if the squad took no further action in the PF Phase could it move in the Movement Phase (and potentially fire the MG in the Adv Fire Phase).

FlatPackFred

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
And to anticipate the next question, it can't fire in the AFPh either, A7.1.
[Sincerely] Thank you.

[Ironically] So what the game really needs is another counter - a Prep Fire counter with the strap line "Got ROF".

Which I am sure you are all relieved to know is already available in VASL (who knew you could label a PF counter - Rodney did !!!) :

[Sincerely] Shout out to all you who have helped make VASL such a wonderful piece of software enjoyed by the worldwide ASL community (maintaining sanity in many during lockdown). I wish I could buy you all a pint - but then I realised that the VASL web page allows contributions ... so I just tried to make one, but the email address provided "rodneykinney@comcast.net" doesn't seem to work in PayPal. Any ideas?

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
[Ironically] So what the game really needs is another counter - a Prep Fire counter with the strap line "Got ROF".
Actually, all you need is to remember, at the end of Prep Fire Phase, to place a Prep Fire counter on any unit that did fire, but because of ROF, didn't get marked.

(I wouldn't be surprised if this was actually spelled out in the ASOP, but I'm very bad at checking it)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
A4.1 confirms the more succinct A3.3 reference.
A4.1 BASIC MPh: During his MPh, the ATTACKER may move all, some,or none of his Infantry units provided they did not fire during the PFPh...
One could argue that the presence of a PFPh has no bearing on that condition.
However, during Night scenarios, such a counter would be manfatory to indicate gun flashes.
I looked up the ASOP, but found no mention about placing the Prep Fire counters.

FlatPackFred

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
User error - just tried again and it worked fine - I must have messed up the copy and paste of Rodney's email address.
After a couple of weeks PayPal contacted me to say that it had not been possible to make the payment. So if anyone from the VASL development community is reading this: let me know if you update the PayPal link and I will make a contribution!