Manila VASL map available now!

Porsche

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure why but I've NEVER been able to just type in a board and it serves it up to me. I have to download it and put it in a board folder. What am I doing wrong? And, could someone send a link to the actual board, please?

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How can you tell that it isn't looking for board updates?

When a board needs to be updated you will see a message in the chat window that VASL is trying to do that. If no update is needed then you just get a "Using bdXX (v6.x)".

There is no preference or setting for this. The code to see if a board needs updating and if so, to perform the update, runs every time a board is selected. If it doesn't work, the reason is usually an internet connection issue or a file permissions issue. Make sure you are connected to the internet and make sure that your boards directory is not in an inaccessible location (inaccessible to VASSAL, such as C:\ProgramFiles\. . . . ).
Hi ....I just updated to VASL 6.6.4 & VASSAL 3.6.7 and couldn't load the SaF board. THEN I went back and reread this thread. My boards are in folder C:\Program Files\VASSAL-3.6.5\VASL\boards......SO at the risk of looking like an even bigger idiot I am going to ask which folder locations are accessible to VASSAL?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi ....I just updated to VASL 6.6.4 & VASSAL 3.6.7 and couldn't load the SaF board. THEN I went back and reread this thread. My boards are in folder C:\Program Files\VASSAL-3.6.5\VASL\boards......SO at the risk of looking like an even bigger idiot I am going to ask which folder locations are accessible to VASSAL?
This is a entirely sensible question.

And the answer is : in a Windows environment, any directory under the Documents hierarchy, or where the path begins with C:\users\yourusername\. . . where username is your computer name not your VASL username.

This issue was discussed in a thread several months back. Apparently, newer versions of Windows control where applications such as VASSAL can write files. This is a security measure and, as I understand it, is a change from previous Windows versions. Certainly the Program Files directory will be off-limits to many apps. Downloading a bd file and putting it in the boards directory is considered to be writing a file to the boards directory.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
For such reasons, I have specified another location on my machine where to store/search for the VASL maps in VASL's Preferences. Something like D:\Data\VASL\boards.

I reckon, something like it should fix you up, Jon.

von Marwitz

Berger

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Dale
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

Can not get SaF board or other updates to other boards using VASSAL 3.6.6 and VASL 6.6.4.

Message: File Not Found. VASSAL could not find the file ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\VASL\boards\bdSaF’

My board directory is set to the above reference. The Files of Type is set to DI rectories not All Files. Do I need to blank that out, or use all files so all boards are searched online?

Thanks,
Dale Wetzelberger

Berger

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Dale
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

Can not get SaF board or other updates to other boards using VASSAL 3.6.6 and VASL 6.6.4.

Message: File Not Found. VASSAL could not find the file ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\VASL\boards\bdSaF’

My board directory is set to the above reference. The Files of Type is set to DI rectories not All Files. Do I need to blank that out, or use all files so all boards are searched online?

Thanks,
Dale Wetzelberger
I read the earlier not and created a file C:\Data\VASL\boards. Left it empty. Changed my look up to that file. Still same message but using the new target file, I am using Windows 11.

Dale

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I read the earlier not and created a file C:\Data\VASL\boards. Left it empty. Changed my look up to that file. Still same message but using the new target file, I am using Windows 11.

Dale
There are two places where you need to specify the directory. First of all, in File->Preferences->VASL, you need to set the board directory.

Secondly, when starting a new game and selecting boards, make sure that the boardpicker window is looking in the same place for the boards.

If those two are out of sync then VASSAL will be downloading the board in one place and you will be trying to open it from another location.

If both of these are pointing to the same directory and the board is still not showing up, close VASL and then restart it and try again. That has worked for me sometimes, I don't know why.

Berger

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Dale
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for responding. I checked that with my original board folder and then with a new C drive folder for boards making sure both agree when I tried to get SaF. No luck. Restarted the computer when I made the change. Still out.

I have kept the older VASL modules on my computer (6.6.3.1, 6.6.2 and 6.6.1) and have not adjusted them but that should not through off the current mod when trying the newer board folder.

I am the only user of the computer, there is only one account.

Berger

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Dale
Country
llUnited States
This is interestin.

I have an older computer and just downloaded VASSAL and VASL. It works fine. Got the map. All is good.

Thanks
Dale

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for responding. I checked that with my original board folder and then with a new C drive folder for boards making sure both agree when I tried to get SaF. No luck. Restarted the computer when I made the change. Still out.

I have kept the older VASL modules on my computer (6.6.3.1, 6.6.2 and 6.6.1) and have not adjusted them but that should not through off the current mod when trying the newer board folder.

I am the only user of the computer, there is only one account.
I suggest that go to your board folder and check and see if there is a file named bdSaF in the directory. If so delete it and try again.
I have come across other situations where a board does not properly download and then won’t work.

Berger

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Dale
Country
llUnited States
Just downloaded all the maps t my old computer including SaF and the moved them to the current computer. The work around works. When i start a new game I will check to see if the map was updated and move a current copy if necessary.

Thanks for your help and quick response.

Dale

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is in NO WAY a complaint...just an observation.

Is it my eyes...or are the hex coordinates difficult to read on the map?

FYI...posted this in another thread too...

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Don’t download it from vasl.info. Open vasl; start a new game; select SaF from the dropdown list. It will automatically download.