Low Crawl from In a Foxhole into Bamboo (A10.52 and G 3.2)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi all,
May a broken unit IN a Foxhole adjacent to a Bamboo hex rout into the latter as Low Crawl (A10.52 and G 3.2) ?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Not an answer to your question, but as you may already be aware there is at least a Q&A that says a unit may not exit an Entrenchment and make a Minimum Move at the same time. And there is a Q&A asking if you can use Minimum Move during RtPh to which the answer is “no, you must use Low Crawl” which suggests some equivalence between them.

I couldn’t find anything else. Seems worthy of a new Q&A.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
LC is a move of ONE location.
This is satisfied in the queried move.

In addition,

If the entry cost of a hex is defined as “all” of a
unit’s MF and there is still yet another cost to be paid beyond that, a Minimum Move can still be made.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Thanks, Stewart.
Things are clear now.

If the rule on Minimum Move provided some examples of the supplemental cost, it would be better : spending 1 MF to exit a FH is not an expense made to enter the "all" cost Location, while, for an example, an additional MF due to smoke is spent in the entered hex...
Does that difference have some bearing on the (im)possibility of Minimum Move?

For Low Crawl, as the exit MF is combined with the entry of the Bamboo, things are different from Minimum Move, I think.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Per this Q&A, it appears that the MF expenditure to exit an entrenchment prevents a minimum move.

“If a unit wants to make a Minimum Move, can it make MF expenditures other than the move from one hex to the other hex?
A. No.

May it change Location within the hex, e.g., leave a pillbox or move to another level/location in a building before moving to the other hex? May it recover SW before moving to the other hex? If it may, would it be considered CX when recovering if not CX at the start of the Minimum Move? If CX at the start of the Minimum Move? May it place SMOKE grenades before moving to the other hex? If it may, would it be considered CX when placing if not CX at the start of the Minimum Move? If CX at the start of the Minimum Move? May it place a DC before moving to the other hex? If it may, would it be considered CX when placing if not CX at the start of the Minimum Move? If CX at the start of the Minimum Move? May it exit an entrenchment before moving to the other hex? If a unit may perform “secondary” MF expenditures before making expenditure to move from one hex to the other, must that unit retain at least one MF after making the secondary expenditures to perform the Minimum Move?
A. No to all.”

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
May a broken unit IN a Foxhole adjacent to a Bamboo hex rout into the latter as Low Crawl (A10.52 and G 3.2) ?
During routing, isn't the MF cost to enter/exit entrenchments combined (one reason Interdiction can be avoided) with the cost the enter the next Location?

If yes, then I think such a Low Crawl would be ok.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
During routing, isn't the MF cost to enter/exit entrenchments combined (one reason Interdiction can be avoided) with the cost the enter the next Location?

If yes, then I think such a Low Crawl would be ok.
I follow that reasoning too - cf. my post #4.
That would be the main difference from Minimum Move, because the exit MF is not combined with the entry of the Bamboo, so that Minimun Move from IN a foxhole into an adjacent Bamboo is NA.