LOS to Sunken HEX (41W7)

Sheridan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hello!...

I am playing SP207 with map 41 in VASL, and we have a problem with LOS between 41X9->41W7...

VASL say that there is LOS, but that LOS touch a little hill before go in HEX W7...

RB B4.

Is there LOS or not?..

Thank you...

Cheers!... :)

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per B4.2 the dark brown of the sunken road blocks LOS (...) and your LOS string has the dark brown on both sides so the LOS is blocked.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Maybe your LOS tool is disabled.. . Do it work properly in obvious LOS checks?

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Ok. If you crop the boards to a full hex, LOS tool doesn’t work. I agree with with EagleIV.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is the nature of LOS in VASL. In Hex terrain does not block to the location. But if you drew LOS to the far vertex, then VASL has a different rule. It is ok, my string doesn't even do what VASL does.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per B4.2 the dark brown of the sunken road blocks LOS (...) and your LOS string has the dark brown on both sides so the LOS is blocked.
I wonder if B4.2 is the right rule, as B4.2 only mentions the dark brown outline of other Depression hexes between viewing and target Depression hexes. You get to the same result if you treat 41W7 as a Hill Depression, B19.5, however. There, from same or lower elevations one can't see INTO a Depression hex if the LOS crosses Crest status level terrain in the Depression hex. B19.51.

VASL unfortunately does not implement the Hill Depression rule, I guess on the principle that in-hex is generally ignored. For example:

Although, it does recognize that it is the crest level terrain that affects LOS when the Depression Hex is between viewing and target hexes, see Post #4 above and note that the LOS is shown blocked at the crest line in W7, rather than on first encountering the dark brown outline.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I am thinking B19.51 applies:

19.51 LOS can be traced INTO a Hill Depression hex from an elevation ≤ that of a unit in that hex, provided the otherwise unblocked LOS enters that hex via its Crest Line-Depression hexside (exclusive of vertices) and does not cross any Crest status level (20.91) terrain in that hex (prior to reaching that hex’s center dot).