Looking at both sides

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BI applies to both sides, but my opponent's and my experience was that the defender tended to lose units faster than the attacker, and thus lose ELR faster. But this was many years ago and I may be misremembering. I do remember that one side always seemed to be losing ELR faster than the other, and it snowballed.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Battlefield Integrity can only be used for some scenarios according to A16, and size matters. Much like the effect of snipers in small OoB scenarios, a couple of bad results in a short turn game can cripple a side. I expect that when I review the older, 8+ turn scenarios I will find some worthwhile candidates. Worthwhile in the sense that an extra dimension of game-play is added, for those who can appreciate that as a good thing.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
And this is different than a chess clock how?
Who the hell mentioned anything about chess clocks?
At least Battlefield Integrity is actually IN the rule book as an option (for some scenarios).

Last edited:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Who the hell mentioned anything about chess clocks?
At least Battlefield Integrity is actually IN the rule book as an option (for some scenarios).
You mentioned how good it was to add a dimension of depth to the game.

Whatever....

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
You mentioned how good it was to add a dimension of depth to the game.

Whatever....
Yes, whatever you meant, that may be to do with optional rules or whatever you thought you meant to be optional but wasn't?

On the other hand it seems to me that the challenge in Battlefield Integrity is to play for longer (yes longer!), to manage the problem of losses and endure it longer than your opponent can and still meet the VC at the end. I agree with the two comments that using Battlefield Integrity, but not managing it well (bad scenario choice?), will lead to a quick and unsatisfactory game end. I think that's the learning point. There is (probably) no fun in a short and unsatisfactory game. But in some cases there is room for an optional rule. Obviously some people thought it worth exploring. They weren't forced to use Battlefield Integrity (probably).

There are half a dozen optional rules in the game. I think they are all worth considering for optional use for individuals to determine for themselves if they get the extra fun factor. I like C13.311 (for that extra probability dimension), but if my opponent doesn't like it then it doesn't happen. No "whatever"s ....

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a reason why VASL play is slower than face to face play.
Playing with experienced VASL guys, and depending on the size of the scenario or if it is a CG, it is often faster for me. It IS much slower starting off. That said:
Placing counters on map: faster
Cleanup: What clean up. Hit save.
Removing counters especially in a CG: Way faster.
Once you know how to zoom in and out seamlessly: Disadvantaged in seeing the whole board at a glance, but the zooming brings it back.
Actual play: Equal. However, no aging fingers to knock over stacks and "?" counters.
Admin for CG's: Way easier. No HIP records, just hide the stuff on board. You see it, opponent doesn't.

It really depends on how much time you have in with VASL. If you are still learning and have to think before acting in VASL, it can feel like giving birth to an elephant. Once you get the knack, it's easy.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
It really depends on how much time you have in with VASL. If you are still learning and have to think before acting in VASL, it can feel like giving birth to an elephant. Once you get the knack, it's easy.
I often have to think before acting in VASL, but I have the same problem in FtF. It's just that I tend to play slow, 'cause I want to think a lot of things through. I'm working on it though.

Other than that - VASL makes so many things simpler, it's not fair. I often find my Prep/Def fire markers deficient in that they have to be removed one by one instead of just going Poof when asked.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I find that far fewer markers are placed down in real time. You may place a marker near a fire group rather than on each counter or stack. You can pick up a stack in your hand and put a finger down on the starting hex and with the other hand start counting out the movement of each squad one at a time, rather than moving them on the board individually. I can see that you can see that I'm pointing here and holding counters in the other hand or moved to the side. There is easier understanding of intention and no real need to move everything in detail unless you see that your opponent's focus is now intent on your next hex. And there seems to be a lot less eye fatigue and refocusing of attention on a narrow area of the game. It seems that three hours is about the maximum continuous play that people seem to be able to focus for in VASL. This might be because in in real time you can de-focus, look around and then focus again in a matter of seconds. VASL also allows a lot of detail to be recorded and I feel that this encourages people to put all that detail into their turn, to show the full story when it is played back. But this is all about playing the game, not setting it up or putting it away.

I also notice that in VASL you almost never miss a sniper, for example. This is a good thing, but while you're putting your counters away you won't be the only one wondering how many snipers you forgot to roll for and resolve. And what's the deal with Booby Trap level in VASL?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I find that far fewer markers are placed down in real time. You may place a marker near a fire group rather than on each counter or stack. You can pick up a stack in your hand and put a finger down on the starting hex and with the other hand start counting out the movement of each squad one at a time, rather than moving them on the board individually. I can see that you can see that I'm pointing here and holding counters in the other hand or moved to the side. There is easier understanding of intention and no real need to move everything in detail unless you see that your opponent's focus is now intent on your next hex. And there seems to be a lot less eye fatigue and refocusing of attention on a narrow area of the game. It seems that three hours is about the maximum continuous play that people seem to be able to focus for in VASL. This might be because in in real time you can de-focus, look around and then focus again in a matter of seconds. VASL also allows a lot of detail to be recorded and I feel that this encourages people to put all that detail into their turn, to show the full story when it is played back. But this is all about playing the game, not setting it up or putting it away.

I also notice that in VASL you almost never miss a sniper, for example. This is a good thing, but while you're putting your counters away you won't be the only one wondering how many snipers you forgot to roll for and resolve. And what's the deal with Booby Trap level in VASL?
Place one marker near a FG in VASL, like what you’d do in FtF