Learning ASL - the people you play

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some random thoughts as I continue my journey of expanding my ASL knowledge. To paraphrase a quote from a veteran, "The key is to fill up your bag of tricks before your bag of luck runs out."

Early on, while learning ASL I took plenty of beatdowns. It could be a bit discouraging, like 14 losses in a row (will I ever learn?) but the game itself was always fun.

Playing players less skilled and new players: Forces you to communicate the rules clearly and accurately. Reminds you of when the game was new and full of discovery.

Playing players of equal ability: Lots of fun, similar experiences, and great for learning the rules together. Because you can't rely on the vet for the answer.

Playing players better than you: If you pay attention you can learn a lot. Some players will even go out of their way to provide good advices, but are respectful enough to do so only if asked. Mileage is key here, you will increase your situational play awareness by seeing more. Unlike in the past, these days, I'll take every chance I can to play a higher skilled player.

Playing people you haven't played before: A great experience. New play styles and you get to meet someone new. Can bring back the "full of discovery" feelings. Like a scenario that presents a new twist. That's one allure of tournaments. And VASL, you can play anyone around the world.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Some random thoughts as I continue my journey of expanding my ASL knowledge. To paraphrase a quote from a veteran, "The key is to fill up your bag of tricks before your bag of luck runs out."

Early on, while learning ASL I took plenty of beatdowns. It could be a bit discouraging, like 14 losses in a row (will I ever learn?) but the game itself was always fun.

Playing players less skilled and new players: Forces you to communicate the rules clearly and accurately. Reminds you of when the game was new and full of discovery.

Playing players of equal ability: Lots of fun, similar experiences, and great for learning the rules together. Because you can't rely on the vet for the answer.

Playing players better than you: If you pay attention you can learn a lot. Some players will even go out of their way to provide good advices, but are respectful enough to do so only if asked. Mileage is key here, you will increase your situational play awareness by seeing more. Unlike in the past, these days, I'll take every chance I can to play a higher skilled player.

Playing people you haven't played before: A great experience. New play styles and you get to meet someone new. Can bring back the "full of discovery" feelings. Like a scenario that presents a new twist. That's one allure of tournaments. And VASL, you can play anyone around the world.
A very nice and pretty accurate post IMO.

Btw don't feel like The Lone Stranger, I lost the first fourteen scenarios I played against Fish. Glad I decided to try a fifteenth.

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
Knowledge is essential to understanding the game. However, playing experience is the best teacher. Experience always trumps knowledge when put into practice. Though I do learn the player I play. After getting spanked a good bit I figure them out and turn the tables. Just when I think I have it mastered it. I play a different good player and the cycle starts again.

Mastering a player is great fun. There comes into play the element of deception. In FTF play I offer up a lot of different poker faces and mix up tendencies.
It's that certain ebb and flow where I can use a tendency and suddenly change my tiger stripes.

I'm not a guru by any stretch of the imagination and my learning comes through the hard path of pain (loses) by vastly better players. But. I am cunning and learn after repeated beat downs and can hang with the best once I learn them. Also, I hardly get all caught up on the points tally and just play in the moment. Often, I toss probability out the window and roll away. Sometimes dumb luck favors me.

I guess that makes me "Average." +/-

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I cannot count the number of people I introduced to ASL.
I did it mainly by VASL, as there are not a lot of people interested in ASL close to my place.

I play in a laid down way, without putting too much weight upon the new player.
I will point out rules elements and basic tactics.
I will ask them questions, but not harass them either.
I don't take the role of a "professor" who dominates a "kid" (I doubt about myself too much to be pontificating).
I accompany my opponent in their discovery of the game.

I believe that, even with a learning objective, playing the game must be fun.
For me, playing is a lot about knitting a relationship, about meeting someone.
Fun can be serious fun – but not too serious.

I presume that my solo playthrough videos can transmit the spirit of my gaming : I am not elaborating tightly built "tutorials" (other people do it in an excellent way), but I explain my moves and take the time to evoke a rule paragraph when needed, as things present themselves "naturally".
Of course, I will choose scenarios that have special features (sewers, gliders, etc.), but not always.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Playing the game is the thing in getting better, the more and varied opponents you have the better it makes you, learning as you go.

I have been in the hobby in general since 1966 and ASL since 1980, you can see me on the back page adverts in the old General Magazine for around 2 decades and have been trying to recruit new players into the hobby for many years. What you do directly affects the hobby, be kind, considerate and friendly, if you ever run into a 'difficult' opponent, don't make it worse, just get through the game and don't play that person again. (I have only had a couple bad experiences playing in the hobby, I just memorize who it was and stay clear going forward). After another Nor'easter a couple weeks ago, the hobby still seems strong going into the future, I'll be playing twice on VASL this week and back to ftf with Steve Johns by next week after Dispatch #57 goes out. Roll low and enjoy! 🎲🎲

Last edited:

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Playing players less skilled

I know you're talking about me.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Working through this cycle now as I have three main people I am teaching the game to at the Citadel Game Cellar in Groton. Over the last two years they have definitely improved. They went, 4-1, 2-2 and 1-3 at the last Nor'easter held this month, so the teaching is definitely helping. You can see their game improving, even if it is not always obvious to them.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Working through this cycle now as I have three main people I am teaching the game to at the Citadel Game Cellar in Groton. Over the last two years they have definitely improved. They went, 4-1, 2-2 and 1-3 at the last Nor'easter held this month, so the teaching is definitely helping. You can see their game improving, even if it is not always obvious to them.
Awesome Carl, the game stays alive with people like you.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Working through this cycle now as I have three main people I am teaching the game to at the Citadel Game Cellar in Groton.
Stationed at the SubBase from 1991-1998 (Retired 1994, Under Contract 1994-1998.) I remember Pat showing me his playtest materials for CdG. Fun times.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Well done you Sir! It can be a challenge bringing in new players and even more so having them stay interested in the game. I brought in four but none of them stayed committed.
I was thinking about how to sell playing ASL to younger people. Two different approaches come to mind:

" Hey this game has tanks, flamethrowers, demo charges all kinds of fun stuff " or

" Hey this game does a very nice job of simulating WWII warfare and combatants. "
I think the former as most of these youngsters have practically no knowledge and zero interest in WWII or history period.

How did you get these other players interested in ASL?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Well done you Sir! It can be a challenge bringing in new players and even more so having them stay interested in the game. I brought in four but none of them stayed committed.
I was thinking about how to sell playing ASL to younger people. Two different approaches come to mind:

" Hey this game has tanks, flamethrowers, demo charges all kinds of fun stuff " or

" Hey this game does a very nice job of simulating WWII warfare and combatants. "
I think the former as most of these youngsters have practically no knowledge and zero interest in WWII or history period.

How to attract new players to ASL might become another thread but Actiondebbie has been feeding me refreshments since I got home from work so perhaps tomorrow. 🤪

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

In this case, the three guys playing are older players who play other games. Two others want to learn also, bringing that total to 5. Add in one who has become very involved moving back to the area shortly, it is 6. The younger guys, of whom there are four, the initial player was a son of an ASL player/researcher/designer, Keith Hathaway. He loved the game almost immediately and three of his friends also became interested. These four are college age kids, so obviously have a lot going on in their lives. That said, they have all enjoyed the game. At these sessions, while I have been able to play increasingly, I am generally speaking the "rules guy" and aid with keeping the games moving along while getting the rules right. Since there are multiple games going, this is not always as possible as when you can lend a game individual attention. Add to it that I have done a couple of ASL seminars, the first in concert with Steve Pleva and the second on my own as Steve was busy, and we are trying to grow the knowledge of the game. When you have old hands around that can show how the system works, the game becomes far less intimidating.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Agree with Carl, it is way easier to have someone lead you through how the game works than trying to deal with that rulebook cold turkey. I am so glad these people are playing real ASL and not getting stuck in SK, too many try that and never go beyond it, ASL lite is nowhere near as good a game as full ASL but getting into the system can be very intimidating if you don't have a guide to help along the way. Great job by Carl, he's in a perfect location, working at the game store, to make it happen.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I missed this part in my reply. Sorry. I don't think you do get them interested in ASL as much as cultivate an already existing interest. In this case, so long as you sacrifice the chance to play in order to referee and supply some tactical tips, with permission from both players, along the way, the game does the heavy lifting for you.