J94 Kempf

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
This is a great senario, just played it the other day (MLK Day). It came down to the last role of the dice and the Germans failed to take the last building. Game ended with two Ger 1/2 squads and a Russ squad locked in melee. Russ (me) WIN!!! barely

Tompy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Russians with a forward setup will have a difficult time. Why give up +3TEM? The Germans have to give you -1 shots eventually to cross the street.

This also keeps the Germans from flanking.

Now... if the KV shows up on turn 4 the Russians lose. Of course if it shows up on turn 1 the Russians win. Perhaps turn 3 might be too late as well. Anyway the next time I play this I'm amending the KV entry to be 1-3 turn 2 and automatically on turn 3 at the latest.

Later,
Jeff

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am playing this right now as the Russians, and we are about to start Russian Turn 3. I think Tompy is right; if I do not get the KV this turn I am hosed. I'm down to 3 GO squads and two leaders. I'll report back after it's finished.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tompy said:
Russians with a forward setup will have a difficult time. Why give up +3TEM? The Germans have to give you -1 shots eventually to cross the street.

This also keeps the Germans from flanking.

Now... if the KV shows up on turn 4 the Russians lose. Of course if it shows up on turn 1 the Russians win. Perhaps turn 3 might be too late as well. Anyway the next time I play this I'm amending the KV entry to be 1-3 turn 2 and automatically on turn 3 at the latest.

Later,
Jeff
Shortly after this scenario hit the streets, Dave McLee & I played it.

I told him that the mark IV was going to position itself to get a shot on the KV1 entering the board (and I flatly stated I would get a critical hit). This brought a ton of snickers from Dave.

He finally rolled and got his KV1 reinforcement (which died in flames based on the CH I got)

He was amazed to say the least :eek:

I love calling my shots (just call me "Wisconsin Fats" for more than one reason)

Last edited:

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...meanwhile, back at the front:

Sure enough, the KV didn't arrive until Turn 4 and the Russians lose the last building on German Turn 4. One futile counterattack on Russian 4 gets nowhere.

If the KV arrives on Turn 3, the Mk. IV can't get behind and adjacent to the Russians in the last building, so even if the German 9-2 Death Star gets a break on the Russians there they don't get eliminated for FtR. But it was not to be.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hi!

Played this last night....

Got my Russian tank on turn 1, YIPEE I say to myself:p

The Germans are trying a flanking move with the FT tank in the lead. Being a wily type guy, I say to myself, "self, pull that Russian tank up to this hex and blast that freaking thing to Kingdom Come"....

I promptly do my move with a smirk on my face, saying I got this on turn one and I’m gonna take care of that FT tank and win this scenario early.

Moving up I end my move and give a quick glance around the board. I suddenly notice I have moved my tank into LOS of the PZIV!:shock: :blab: :shock:

My opponent announces, “I think I got LOS” and picks up his dice.

BOOM!:OHNO: :nervous: :dead:

I did end up winning, the Russian MMG went on an absolute tear when it had to….

He also kept the FT tank at long range and was only blasting me with half FP, which in the end was probably a mistake.

Though I hit that dang thing at least 10 times with the AT gun and could not do anything to it. Low to hit and high to kills rolls.

I got lucky to win.

Peace

Roger

ON TOP ASL

Play J94, J98, J110, J111
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Happy to read some reports of J94 gaming. The scenario gets a-LOT of playing and it's always nice to read comments. As Fred pointed out the appearance of KV is a very crucial (or IMO fun) aspect of the scenario. Newertheless, as Roger mention in his AAR, an early entrance do not automatically generate a russian win.

Question, this little scenario seems to generate ridiculous high numbers of both low AND high DR's in game! I wonder if this is because player awarness of key -DR's? As this is such a small scenario, players may be more aware of recalling specific DR's as each DR in such small scenario is really crucial.

At publishing I remember that there were many opinions that this scenario were really pro-german, but I do not agree there. On the other hand if that FT goes berserk!

Anyway, this scenario tends to sway alot - have FUN.....

Last edited:

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's fun scenario, no doubt; but I do think there is too much sway regarding the KV's entry. Four turns is a huge window and for so small a scenario I think it's too much of a variable. I would encourage others to use Tompy's suggestion above to reduce this to something more balanced.

Robert Fabbro

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We played this one last Saturday. My opponent Michael was the Germans.

Got off to a great start when his stack of armor assaulting troops pulled up adjacent to my HIP HS at 3R1. End result: two brokies and a pinned squad. Yippee!!!

Things went progressively worse for me from there. My KV never made it on board until turn 4, and by then it was all over. BTW, my rolls for getting this tank were as follows: "2" on turn 1, "3" on turn 2, "4" on turn 3. In other words, I missed each turn by ONE PIP!!!!%&*$%&^#$

Michael decimated what was left of my infantry. Literally. I had no SMC or MMC left at game end, and my KV did not even have enough MP to reach the closest VC building and ram it.

Fun. Heck, Yes! But I think the Soviet's victory is tied too much into the KV's entry.