Ideas for Starter Kits?

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Stoppen bitte...smiley face...smiley-gesicht...

More scenarios, more counters--that's all I want. And it would be groovy if MMP would make the new SK-style boards available on the website but I've probably said that before so I'll be quiet now.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Stoppen bitte...smiley face...smiley-gesicht...

More scenarios, more counters--that's all I want. And it would be groovy if MMP would make the new SK-style boards available on the website but I've probably said that before so I'll be quiet now.
No harm in repeating yourself. At least that's my wife's philosophy!?????????

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A Korean module??
Very doable if one leaves out the more esoteric rules such as Steep Hills (as is-could be somewhat modified/downgraded), searchlights, etc. and leave some of the special unit characteristics, some for the Chinese for example, to SSRs.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
DTO is very esoteric, allot of ASLers don't play it much.

IMO it is not the two headed monster that its reputation has come to suggest, but
it is also not something that is "quick and easy".

Again your mileage may vary.

Happy Gaming
Joe
I quite liked the DTO but it was a theater I had always been interested in so that helped. Not everyone's cup of tea though.😉

owenedwards

Reaction score
Country
ll
If we're talking complexity, worth comparing chapters F and G. There's already a PTO box.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Not really a great metric to use. After FKAC replaced WOA, the desert module was entwined with the Italians, who have not proven to be the most popular of nationalities.
WOA didn't seem to be that popular even bitd. The rules for DTO didn't seem overly complex so it seems more of a lack of interest in the theater itself. A shame because I know that Mac put a lot of work into WOA and the DTO.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The difference in interest, when consider the core geographic market for ASL, isn't surprising really.
Seems that it never grabbed most players, and after all it is the desert. Not a lot of cool terrain or other goodies to keep a player entertained.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the day of few boards, and mounted ones at that, the WoA deferred to overlays to probably cut costs/weight-of-the package. As has been verified by many on this forum there is a natural tendency for aversion to the use of overlays in the first place and the lack of any aesthetic terrain features as a second was probably a turn off for many players. The engagements in the desert/arid areas were fairly interesting but I do believe the rules were unnecessarily overburdened with too much chrome/bling to be wholeheartedly accepted by a significant number of players as normal fare in their games. Many designers found they could easily adapt ETO geo boards as terrain applicable to desert/arid engagements (Tunisia/Tobruk-area) with just a few terrain modification SSRs with little difficulty and therefore the "desert" scenarios have not really gone by the wayside, but have been modified as to lose their "desert" look [EX: Hart Attack]. The more recent appeal for desert scenarios using the 4 desert boards in particular may well be because of the ease of using overlays on VASL. As always JMHO.