humble v6.6.8 request - PF counters for all ranges

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Any chance that 16-1 (Oct-43 to Jun-44) and 16-2 PF (Jun-44 to Dec-44) counters could be added to the German OB tray, or that the range on the current counter could be adjusted with a right click/key stroke?
I like option 2. Without having looked at the actual counter, I would think this should be a relatively easy addition.

I don't see it making 668, however. It will release in early April and there is still work to do on it. I will flag this to our current counter-maestro @apbills. Can't speak for him but he may have some time. I will add it to our ToDo list so we don't lose track of it. If not 668 then 669 this fall.

Serious question, do people actually use the PF counter (I never do but that's just me)?

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
I like option 2. Without having looked at the actual counter, I would think this should be a relatively easy addition.

I don't see it making 668, however. It will release in early April and there is still work to do on it. I will flag this to our current counter-maestro @apbills. Can't speak for him but he may have some time. I will add it to our ToDo list so we don't lose track of it. If not 668 then 669 this fall.

Serious question, do people actually use the PF counter (I never do but that's just me)?
Thanks, Doug!
I use the PF counter primarily to track number available and number used (with a label). But seeing availability dates on the counter is a quicker reference than having to check Chapter C to confirm both range and squad equivalent multiplier.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I happen to be updating and expanding my captured SW counters in my DYO Campaign extension. It will take a day (probably hours) for me to make the PF counters and get them to you.

EDIT: I spoke too soon, just got my honey-do list. It will be a day.

Last edited:

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, protypes are done. This is what I came up with. I have included the current counter as a reference. I suspect this will work, but any feedback is welcome. Will incorporate into something to send Doug when I get up on Sunday (which will be later since we lose an hour tonight). Uses CTRL+V to cycle through the 3 front sides, all backs have the same TH table. No promises on 668, Doug has to work those logistics and I suspect he is already in the final implementation tasks of that release. I will leave it in my DYO Campaign extension until it shows up in a formal release. (v4 to be released asap after 668 is released)

Last edited:

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well it would look better with 2.5 mm rounding. Just kidding, obviously (even though counter clipping is serious business).
The simple fact is that most players on VASSAL have no idea what is involved with making new/improved counters and stuff like this is just amazing. And it's not just the day or so that it took to do it, it's the much longer time spent learning how to do it well.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Great work!

Have the new counters from TotR been completed yet?
(Axis Minor T-34(r)’s, Pz VG(g), AT PaK 185, etc.)

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
How about Finnish, Hungarian and Romanian version of the PFs while you are at it?

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any captured PF would need an SSR to tell you what rules you would apply to their use. With that said, I whipped up this Captured PF for use by the Russians. I assumed standard captured use penalties, including the C13.36 Malfunction rules. This will be included in my v4 DYO Campaign extension.

With that said, any particular rules to be used by Axis Minor countries? Would you consider them inexperienced? Do they get a TH penalty? these are things an SSR would need to address, but if I am going to make the counters they will just use Axis minor colors with no changes and the SSR can address those particulars.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay that is just scary.
Not as scary as this. I have been very busy making svg templates for my DYO Campaign extension update. Captured SW that actually conceal with your color is a necessity in a campaign game where you actually tend to keep and use them. Add in the captured use penalties shown on those counters and it makes playing with them very simple.
Edit: I think I have that WP number wrong on the BAZ45. I posted a question in the rules section.

Last edited:

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Any chance that 16-1 (Oct-43 to Jun-44) and 16-2 PF (Jun-44 to Dec-44) counters could be added to the German OB tray, or that the range on the current counter could be adjusted with a right click/key stroke?
I've modified the counter....
I could send it to Doug for inclusion