How to play faster ASL

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I'm slow, and I know it. And I'm okay with it. I'm capable of speeding up, but when I'm playing with my regular playing partner neither of us give a shit. We're just trying to enjoy a game. 😁
That's what is important. Good gunnin to you both!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I'm slow, and I know it. And I'm okay with it. I'm capable of speeding up, but when I'm playing with my regular playing partner neither of us give a shit. We're just trying to enjoy a game. 😁
The only situation where slow playing can be a problem is a tourney situation where time constraints are enforced - but this has led to some heated debates, so it would be better not to open that can of worms.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
In an effort to be Up Front about my speed of play I offer the following story.

Whilst perusing the notebooks doing research for an upcoming post in the Today In ASL History thread I came across our playtest notes for Play Ball. The date was 4-17/18-92. I was the French, Fish the US. I won on turn 11A.

French suffered 27 CVP, US 20 CVP.

Fish thought the scenario sucked, I felt it was 95% pro French.

Fish said " it was the slowest scenario of the world. Victory Conditions make this a " 1", excluding poor VC this is a 7".

I agreed it has potential to be a 7 or 8 but it's a slaughter as it is.

Then this: Fish says this is my slowest scenario ever.

LMAO!

The notes go on.
The French drew 2 red for artillery but it didn't matter. The French just plodded on to victory. This one needs help big time. Fish says the French can just disregard casualties and that is too much of an advantage.

Well apparently it was Inactionburk for that playtest. Just thought I would share that. Hope you guys got a laugh from it as I did.🤣

Btw we would usually rate playtest scenarios on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 was a dog and needed help.

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
And just roll the damn dice!!!
Damn straight! Nothing worse than watching someone go through the same motions for the same shot for the umpteenth time in a game.

That said, there are a couple of reasons why some players calculate the mods out loud. One is that they have a nagging suspicion that the shot is not worth the effort and want to confirm it. Another is they're uncertain as what the best course of action actually is and calculating the mods allows them time to assess the overall situation. Arguably, both instances are a result of inexperience. More experienced players not only have a good instinct as to whether a shot is worth taking or not, they also know what the mods are at a glance.

When I'm playing top players, I sometimes find myself deliberating over a shot because my opponent's decision loop is so much tighter than mine is. This puts pressure on me to make a decision faster than I want to. This can lead to hesitation on my part. But it's not because I necessarily don't know what I'm looking at on the IFT, for example. I'm pretty good at playing without the chart up to around 16 FP. So I can sympathize with those who don't know the charts well, those who can't identify and sum TH mods readily.

Therefore when I play less experienced players I try to cut them some slack where calculating shots is concerned. Usually after a turn or so, my opponent will begin to recognize what shots aren't worth trying and when one can simply roll the dice and check for effects afterwards. Some gentle coaxing helps. The occasional "do you really want to take that 4-up-4 shot?" never hurts either.

It boils down to confidence. Generally speaking, the more confident a player is with the game, the more likely a player will play at a good pace.

Last edited:

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
One of the biggest ways to speed up play, ftf or vasl, is not to move the actual stack that is moving.

Indicate the stack that is moving - I use a pencil, then point, with the pencil, to the hexes that the stack will move through

"one, three for the woods, by pass here for four and into the building for 6."

That way there is no possibility of dropping the stack, knocking other stacks or covering up the terrain you're moving through.

Same with VASL, please do not move your stack through every hex,use the ping to indicate who is moving and where they are moving, then if there's no fire just placed them in the final hex.

A second way to save time is with columns of vehicles - move the first one and then just tell your opponent "the rest of the guys follow him."

If I'm moving a lot of units at long range, where fire is unlikely I will move my units quickly and tell my opponent "take me back at any time."

Try to touch your counters as little as possible for as little time as possible.