'Homemade' scenarios

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I have a question or two.
First, of all the scenarios around, can you please prescribe the good ones for me and give a short description why you liked it?

Also is it for hotseat or pbm, or can you play solitaire? if so, how is the ai?

Secondly, can you point out where to get the scenario, there are some floating around the web, and once I loaded hoards, and some didnt work, one had a virus!
I think I got them all from one place, but i forget, I might be a complete idiot if acg has them all in some place i havent looked at, but i'm asking anyway.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey there, if you look at the top of this page (the very top right) you will see a link to WarfareHQ's "File Archives." Those are all good ones.

Some personal recommendations.

Europe Aflame - grand strategic of WWII Europe
Two Weeks in Normany - excellent scenario, fairly short
You might enjoy Decision in the North (Finland/AGN vs. Russia) but I think you can only grab that over at TDG (http://tdg.nu). I haven't played it, but its supposed to be really good.

To get started with the game, I'd start with a WWI scenario just to get the basics down. Maybe something like Tannenberg. You can play vs. the AI, but "generally" speaking it is not very satisfying. I'd find an opponent here, play a short scenario and just see how it goes.

If you are interested, I might be able to squeeze a small game in. :)

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Siberian HEAT said:
You might enjoy Decision in the North (Finland/AGN vs. Russia) but I think you can only grab that over at TDG (http://tdg.nu). I haven't played it, but its supposed to be really good.
Decision in the North has the potential to be a very good scenario, but there are currently some major design flaws in it, that can make it essentially unplayable. The supply to the north can be completely cut off, by some bridge attacks in the south, and due to the design feature of the hidden badlands terrain, you won't even have minimal subsistence level supply to the forces in that region.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JAMiAM said:
Decision in the North has the potential to be a very good scenario, but there are currently some major design flaws in it, that can make it essentially unplayable. The supply to the north can be completely cut off, by some bridge attacks in the south, and due to the design feature of the hidden badlands terrain, you won't even have minimal subsistence level supply to the forces in that region.
Thanks James. Thats good to know. I was just trying to get our Finnish friend some regional material. :D

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Siberian HEAT said:
Hey there, if you look at the top of this page (the very top right) you will see a link to WarfareHQ's "File Archives." Those are all good ones.

To get started with the game, I'd start with a WWI scenario just to get the basics down. Maybe something like Tannenberg. You can play vs. the AI, but "generally" speaking it is not very satisfying. I'd find an opponent here, play a short scenario and just see how it goes.

THANKS, THE SITE YOU POINTED OUT WAS GREAT!
MY BROWSER (INTERNET EXPLORER) SHOWS THOSE CHOISES ON THE TOP IN A VERY SMALL FONT, INFACT IF YOU WOULDNT HAVE POINTED IT OUT, I WOULD NEVER NOTICED THEM.
I MEAN I HAVENT YET AND I STARTED WRITING HERE IN MAY!
BUT THANKS ANYWAY!

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
nemo said:
YOU SAY SO!
:laugh: :)
Leftenant what does the centimetric radar read?
Defenately an U boat at periscope depth...
Good, I still cant believe they havent cathed up that we can see them stalking at night with this gadget, we have sank more in one month than the whole year!
Yep, someone said they believe we have somekind of infrared detection...
Ha, ok, prepare, depth bombs, to burst at five feet, that sould shake them up.
Bombs gone!
Splash.
Herr obercaloin! Two depthch...BOOM! AAARGHH!!! SLOSSHHH, BLUB, BLUB, BLUB....

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
nemo said:
YOU SAY SO!
:laugh: :)
:laugh: Well, 17 pounder, try GiO, or in your lingo gIo! that'll keep you busy for a while. Actually, find an opponent to play mirror, it is a good display of size, numbers, complexity, tactics and strategy, and provides some interesting points of reflection on the TOAW system and its greatness/flaws. In my überhumble opinion! ;)

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
New scenario's toppled my toaw!

Siberian HEAT said:

Thanks for the offer, a short little melee, would be exellent. Only this time I must keep record of what turn the game ended at so I dont make the mistake again that I made in reporting my game with dannybou, (a nailbiter for me, who had played as the allies against the computer four! Times... with the axis advantage at plus 3 in the end! So I really was afraid he would do the stuff I did, but If it was his first Italy43, i think he didnt quite appreciate the horrid situation that a well placed landing, can do to an opponent!

I posted my report to the WARS system, I didnt quite get the three different categories of reporting, and I got the number of turns wrong, so now I have two victories logged!
Sorry, totally unintentional!

One question. I loaded some scenarios from here and an other website, but placing them I placed the 'raw' scenario with the others, but with the word doc's (with some in notepad format), and the pictures, I think I must have screwed up, because I had to delete and re-install TOAW after fiddling the new scenario's.

So, Can someone give an 'Idiots guide' on how to get a scenario on your machine, that has a picture and a word file with it in the folder?
Please...

Last edited:

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
17poundr said:
So, Can someone give an 'Idiots guide' on how to get a scenario on your machine, that has a picture and a word file with it in the folder?
Please...
Yes.

.sce files go in the Scenarios directory
.bmp files go in the graphics directory (these are always optional)
.doc files can go anywhere you want them. I usually dump them in the Scenarios folder so I have them with the actual scenarios.

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
17poundr said:

I posted my report to the WARS system, I didnt quite get the three different categories of reporting, and I got the number of turns wrong, so now I have two victories logged!
No problem! Which one of these is incorrect? Let me know; I'll delete it.