HIP Vehicle - area fire

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
HIP Tiger in an orchard hex. Say you fire a 2 inch mortar into the hex and the result is a MC - is the Tiger revealed?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If BU no, but the presence of an AFV would most likely become evident to the other player. If CE it may be another matter depending upon the final effects on the crew of a MC, PTC or no effect at all.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
HIP Tiger in an orchard hex. Say you fire a 2 inch mortar into the hex and the result is a MC - is the Tiger revealed?
The Tiger would be revealed as soon as you hit it - could even be done by a MG. The effect does not matter.

Case A for the CONCEALMENT LOSS/GAIN TABLE:
"A If it:... ...is a vehicle hit by ordnance,..."

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Can a mg be fired as ordnance at a concealed target? It would be otherwise halved.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Apparently not.

Q&A said:
A9.61 indicates that an MG TH vs. an AFV must be “without any form of halved FP penalty imposed”, given Ordnance is never halved, does that imply the halved FP penalty should be considered as if the MG was firing on the IFT instead? E.g. can a MG TH attempt target a concealed AFV? On the IFT normally the FP would be halved, but as ordnance case K applies instead. Or if the MG is pinned is a TH allowed?
A. Anything that would halve MG FP prohibits a MG TH attempt, e.g., in AFPh, vs “?”, pinned Infantry, etc.
Light MTRs, on the other hand, are great for stripping concealment, especially against those vehicles that think they are so clever when they set up in buildings. TEM does not apply. The +2 for case K applies, but so does acquisition. Target size can sometimes help. One other downside is that they can generate SANs and will generally have no effect if they hit.

JR

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Tiger would be revealed as soon as you hit it - could even be done by a MG. The effect does not matter.

Case A for the CONCEALMENT LOSS/GAIN TABLE:
"A If it:... ...is a vehicle hit by ordnance,..."
Steel on target! Now who'da thunk to look there?:oops::nod:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Personally I don't like/agree with that Q&A, as I believe the intention of the rule is just things that apply to the shooter - not target - that halves the FP. Luckily it doesn't come that often. :)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Personally I don't like/agree with that Q&A, as I believe the intention of the rule is just things that apply to the shooter - not target - that halves the FP. Luckily it doesn't come that often. :)
It would if I could shoot MGs at concealed vehicles. I am much more likely to have a MG in position to TH-scout a concealed tank than a light MTR.

Also halving that applied to the shooter would rule out B(F)F, which is clearly bad.

JR

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I wondered how bounding (first) fire worked:

Q&A said:
D3.3 & D3.53 Can a vehicular MG that is the vehicle’s MA, fire a “AFV To Kill DR” as Bounding First Fire? If so, why does the portion of A9.61 that says “Such an attack must be made...without any form of halved FP penalty imposed...” not apply?
A. Yes, just as it can in AFPh. Because of D3.53. {1}
Otherwise B(F)F would would be n/a. The previous Q&A is partially wrong in that fire in the AFPh *is* allowed unless the Q&A is intended as an erratum.

JR

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure it's sort of like an ESB DR...to see if you have enough speed and elevation...but only applies to certain vehicle types/frames. I like it...

What else ya got...

Think you are moving forward in the right direction...carry on...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Sure it's sort of like an ESB DR...to see if you have enough speed and elevation...but only applies to certain vehicle types/frames. I like it...

What else ya got...

Think you are moving forward in the right direction...carry on...
I think searchlight rules focus on the wrong sense. AFVs should have speakers, not lights.

sherman with speaker.jpeg

D2.9 AFV ACOUSTICS

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Also rule numbers should be in hexadecimal for ease of use with computers: D2.9, D2.A, D2.B, D2.C, D2.D, D2.E, D2.F, D2.10, D2.11, …

JR

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
but it happens to the shooter! the shooter has a bad/impaired/vague vision of the (concealed/hidden) target:cool:

Seriously It makes sense that MGs are not allowed to fire as ordnance vs concealed targets. While an ordnance can still hit with a more or less blind and lucky shot in a "suspect area" paying +2 DRM for case K, the MG "spreads" its bullets over a wide area losing any effectiveness vs armor targets.

Hence the AREA fire penalty (no matter the reason) prevents any use of MGs as ordnance

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Hence the AREA fire penalty (no matter the reason) prevents any use of MGs as ordnance
Halved FP as long as it isn't fire in the AFPh/B(F)F. Some FP is more halved than others.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Which is covered by the +2 To Hit DRM. :)
As is any form of Area Fire, C.4. I think it's very hard to come up with a satisfying explanation for why MG TH-TK is not allowed when the MG FP would be halved, especially when coupled with B(F)F being allowed. It just is the way it is.

JR

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
With infantry, one needs to score at least a PTC, which creates the right incentives to put more FP in a bid to strip concealment.
With vehicles there is no such incentive. An ATR can easily do the job. There should be a supplemental criterion, in terms of attack strength, for instance.