Gyrostabilizer Update

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Robert Wolkey said:
>I haven't heard this before about a Panther.

It's true. Aberdeen has two Panthers, one with and another without. The one that is 'fixed' is obviously changed and loads of steel has been added to change the trap. It's one of the first things I noticed.
You callin me a liar Wolkey? :mad: Why don't we meet in a private chat room where I can virtually pummel you? :p

Anyway, had a chance to go to Aberdeen years ago but strapped for cash and too preoccupied with all the other stuff to do at Origins (one of my early ones) I passed up the chance to go with the Europa guys. Winston Hamilton set up a deal for us to drive over and check everything out. Maybe one day I can drag the old ball and chain up there to check it out. :whist:

sdkfz

Reaction score
First name
Rowland
Country
llUnited States
Squadron/Signal Publications Armor Number 11 "Panther In Action" ISBN 0-89747-044-3 Pub date 1975

P 32 "From mid - 1944 on, most G's had a new gun mantlet. Field reports and tests indicated that the round cast mantlet was a serious shot trap in that a projectile striking the lower half of the mantlet was almost always deflected down through the hull roof or into the turret ring. A thickend "chin" with a vertical front was added to the mantlet casting, and was a great improvment over the original desing, though more costly to manufacture" ... sure a few marks more , but got to be cheaper than a repair job and crew replacement...

and here is a different ratio of chin to regualr mantlet, but the concept remains

from Peter Chamberlain's "Encyclopedia of German Tanks of WWII" ISBN 1-85409-518-8 Page 125 pub dates 1978/1999/2000. "In Septemebr 1944, a proportion of the turrets delivered were fitted with a new gun mantlet on which the under curve was eliminated (by a forward angled projection) to prevent downward defelction of hits through the thin hull roof armour"

same here http://wwiivehicles.com/germany/tanks_heavy/pzkpfw_v.html

Pictures: all of the ones on the pages here are a regular chin

http://www.jagdtiger.de/index2.htm?http://www.jagdtiger.de/Various/Kubinka.html

and the one at abderdeen has the chin, about 1/2 the way down the frame

http://pedg.org/panzer/public/website/pz4.htm#panther

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Legion said:
Some have suggested a numerical superiority of 5+:1 might have had a role in it too...
:halo:
In the case of Arracourt, which is the area on concern at the moment, there was no such superiority. The Germans actually had local superiority much of the time. Later, perhaps in the Bulge and other places such numbers may have been true, but NOT AT ARRACOURT!

Evan Sherry
Editor, Schwerpunkt

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Having sat in the gunners seat for a few years myself (most of equipment did not have stabilization way back then) I can tell you that any aid in getting your gun back on target was welcomed. Likewise, even creeping forward over level ground provided enough 'platform rock' that without 'stab' all you see in the sight is sky-dirt-sky-dirt, and so on, or very heavy shimee vibration. Even stabilization in one direction is better than no stabalization at all.

I would think those who practiced with it learned how to use it to their advantage.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ON TOP ASL said:
Not to mention - direct Air support I suppose.

Again, the example I am using is the largest American tank action on the Western Front (Arracourt) up until the Ardennes. During this action, air support played very little part. The weather was foggy and prevented effective use of air power for the most part.

Evan Sherry

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ON TOP ASL said:
Another interesting tactic i read about used in Arringcourt (Avrincourt?), was that American AFV's shot Smoke on opposing Panthers! Apparently the late-war inexperienced German crews then had a tendency to Bail Out! This was a more effective tactic than actually hit and destroy the panthers. Think the book was a "Osprey, Steven Zaloga". Should make an interesting scenario SSR!
It was standard proceedure for 37th Tank Battalion vehicles (especially those in the lead) to "battle carry" (that means the type of round loaded into the main gun) smoke or WP. Upon contact with the enemy the smoke was fired to obscure and mark the enemy position/vehicle so fire could be massed.

Evan Sherry

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Evan is definetly correct about Arracourt. A single reinforced Combat Command of 4th AD shot two brand new and fully equipped panzer brigades (mostly Panthers) into a bloody shambles, although, in fairness, the 111th and 113th panzer brigades were painfully green. Total losses were only some 15 Shermans, about 20 Stuarts and a few other vehicles, the Germans lost well over 120 tanks. The weather did not permit close airsupport most of the time and what air support there was, was spotty.

Nope, this was just Shermans vs Panthers in rolling countryside and the Germans got the worst of it. In ASL terms the Germans would probably have an SSR making the crews 'inexperienced'.

Last edited:

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pitman said:
Well, my first attempt at replying was lost to oblivion, so I guess I will try again. It may be presumptious of me, but I assume that the current gyrostabilizer rules are actually based on historical testimony of the combat effectiveness of the gyro, of some sort or another.

Given that assumption, I see no reason to overthrow it based on the opinions of two people. This sort of thing happened *constantly* in World War II--where people in a particular unit would evaluate a weapon or feature one way, but the consensus in a different unit might be something completely different. For example, take Panzerfausts. Some American units, like the 82nd Airborne division, loved them and used captured fausts. Others did not; one armored division, for example (I forget which one), had a demonstration of a faust and the person handling it blew his own head off. That division decided not to use captured fausts. Now, if you only knew that, would you think fausts were effective?

If a great deal of evidence emerges to suggest that these two people from a tank battalion are not an isolated case but are actually representative of widespread opinion about gyros, then I could see questioning ASL's representation of them. However, in the absence of such widespread evidence, I would not extend such feelings beyond that battalion.
>>

Well....there you go again Pitman. I did not say ALL gyros are out. I was simply giving an update on a specific tank battalion, in this case, the 37th. Don't get your panties in a wad.

I am aware that some units did use the gyrostabilizer. And some units, especially units that deployed to ETO later on, may have used it more. However, gyro's utility is exaggerated a little. It was a sensitive device that required proper maintenance and care to utilize properly. And during combat conditions where a unit such as the 37th often fought without bow gunners because of personnel shortages, it follows that other parts of the tank took the crews' priority of maintanance effort. It also, as I mentioned earlier, only stabilized the gun in its vertical axis (up and down). It did not stabilize the gun in traverse. So if one knows about tank gunnery (and I do since I was an Armor officer and have fired on gunnery table 8)that in a non-stopped engagement it would be of only marginal help since the gunner would have to apply lead mannually (a very difficult gunnery technique given the gunner's limited view through his telescope) to the target in anything but a head on engagement. I will also add that U.S. Army tank gunnery training required that the tank fire from a short halt. The sequence is this:

TC Identifies the target and gives the fire command of "Gunner, Shot, Tank, 500, driver stop. The driver then stops the tank. The Gunner says "Identified" when he sees the target. TC says "FIRE". Gunner says "On the way" (and presses the floor mounted fire button for the MA as he pronounces the "y" in the word "way". The TC assesses the target and gives the command to reengage or move out depending upon the stuation. The whole process takes only a few seconds. But the point is that the doctrine of the time was that the tank fired from a short halt despite having the gyro.

In my scenario, Deadeye Smoyer, there is specific mention of gunner Smoyer using the M-26's gyro to engage a Panther in Cologne, Germany. That is a very good example of gyro use. My point is that research on my particular project has revealed that te 37th did not use the gyro. This is a problem for me as a designer. Because at Arracourt, it has also been confirmed that the battalion did not have 76mm guns. The 37th had nearly all 75mm and 105mm Shermans and few if any were using their gyros. Then the problem becomes how to portray this unit's success in the face of numerical parity with Panthers and no air support.

The research confirms that the German unit oppossing the 37th at Arracourt was poorly trained and had inexperienced crews, while the 37th is a well-trained veteran unit, known for exceptionally high gunnery scores and gunnery training emphasis, even during lulls in combat operations. The bottom line here is that the 37th is a 75mm unit with a high proportion of good armor leaders. It is superior leadership, skill and excellent gunnery that allowed them to succeed against the 113th Panzer Brigade.

I also take exception to your comment about the "opinions of two people." These men were there. If we do not take their words for the use of gyros, then who do we believe?

This is not a case of every tank is a Tiger. This is a simple question with a simple answer. One officer who was the with the battalion from July 44 to May 45 and who acted as S-3, XO, and Battalion Commander, the other a Company Commander (both of them TANK COMMANDERS themselves)said the unit did not use the gyrostabilizers to engage targets. The 37th Tank Battalion did not use them to engage targets and that is a plain and simple fact. So when you see scenarios on this in the future, you'll know where all the armor leaders came from and where all the gyros went.

Evan Sherry
Schwerpunkt

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
You may wish to use both 'inexperienced' crews and force the Germans to use 'Platoon Movement'. From what I've read the Germans had not yet move up to 'company' level training and moved about in 'blocks' by platoons. This could be represented by piecemeal committment to the battlefield.

Fog was present on at least one morning (IIRC).

Good choice of battles.

Arracourt is indeed a 'picture perfect' example of the success of US doctrine but it would require a large battlefield in order to recreate in ASL.

Jim McLeod

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Evan Sherry said:
>>

Well....there you go again Pitman. I did not say ALL gyros are out. I was simply giving an update on a specific tank battalion, in this case, the 37th. Don't get your panties in a wad.

(edit for length)

... Evan Sherry
Schwerpunkt
Well said Evan. Are you working on an Arracourt project?

=Jim=

Jim McLeod

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The Purist said:
You may wish to use both 'inexperienced' crews and force the Germans to use 'Platoon Movement'. From what I've read the Germans had not yet move up to 'company' level training and moved about in 'blocks' by platoons. This could be represented by piecemeal committment to the battlefield.

Fog was present on at least one morning (IIRC).

Good choice of battles.

Arracourt is indeed a 'picture perfect' example of the success of US doctrine but it would require a large battlefield in order to recreate in ASL.
Would that include having them use the Red TH #'s as well?

Whatever could be done to hinder movement and their TH ability should be done. Once that 75LL hits home, it does not matter how green or experienced the firer was. It is going to make a size large hole in the Sherman with the 9-2 AL.

=Jim=

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Evan Sherry said:
I said nothing that would warrant that sort of sarcasm. Nor was my response a response to you, specifically, but a response to all the people who had posted before me, not all of whom said the same things you did.

Evan Sherry said:
I also take exception to your comment about the "opinions of two people." These men were there. If we do not take their words for the use of gyros, then who do we believe?
You can take exception all you want, but all I am doing is applying the practical tools of a historian. You can easily assume that their commens are accurate when it comes to whether or not their particular unit used gyros. I see no reason why they would lie or be wrong about that. But you could not use those statements in order to draw a blanket conclusion about the use of gyros generally, and whether or not they were tactically helpful. You would need the statements of a number of men in a number of units in order to draw that conclusion. One unit won't do it, because, as I said in my earlier post, the historical record shows a great deal of variety in individual opinion about the worth or lack thereof of various weapons and weapons systems. Thus an isolated opinion is typically not going to be sufficient data on which one can base a sound conclusion.

I gather from your various comments that the 37th Tank Battalion was one of the battalions of the 4th Armored Division? That was, IMO, perhaps the best U.S. armored division, and it is interesting that looking at the whole period of the war, they had a favorable kill ratio against German AFVs.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Jim,

Ok,...let's see what the tome says.

See D3.45

... inherent 6+1 armour leader. So if BU there is an automatic +2 the TH DR.

I would add in red TH #s due to lack of training for good measure.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Robert Wolkey said:
>I haven't heard this before about a Panther.

It's true. Aberdeen has two Panthers, one with and another without. The one that is 'fixed' is obviously changed and loads of steel has been added to change the trap. It's one of the first things I noticed.
There is a book titled "Men Against Tanks" which essentially records a number of US infantry unit vs German Panzer unit actions. It seems that the shot trap was common knowledge and was actively trained into 57mm AT gunners, and I'm sure Sherman gunners got it also.

I always thought that something along the line of a CH on a DR of 2 or 3 on shots taken at the front of a Panther might be a way to represent this. Not unlike the 2 or 3 CH vs a French Char Bis taken at the right side facing (radiator grill). Of course, you'd get into all sorts of wierd rules like the TCA has to be the same and the VCA, etc.....

Hell, lets just leave it. It *is* a game after all... ;)

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim McLeod said:
Well said Evan. Are you working on an Arracourt project?

=Jim=
I've been working on Arracourt for 15 years. I have never been comfortable with the research until now. I have been holding a lot of scenarios in reserve until I got better information on this action. I became interested in the battle during a Ft. Knox trainning lecture in 1987. Since then I have been studying the action and since 1990 I have been making scenarios and pulling them from the Schwerpunkt roster until the research was completed to my standard.

Evan Sherry

Jim McLeod

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Jazz said:
There is a book titled "Men Against Tanks" which essentially records a number of US infantry unit vs German Panzer unit actions. It seems that the shot trap was common knowledge and was actively trained into 57mm AT gunners, and I'm sure Sherman gunners got it also.

I always thought that something along the line of a CH on a DR of 2 or 3 on shots taken at the front of a Panther might be a way to represent this. Not unlike the 2 or 3 CH vs a French Char Bis taken at the right side facing (radiator grill). Of course, you'd get into all sorts of wierd rules like the TCA has to be the same and the VCA, etc.....

Hell, lets just leave it. It *is* a game after all... ;)
Jazz, I already got an SSR for it.

- Whenever a Panther receives a Turret hit when the Front/Rear VCA and TCA are aligned use the Panther's Aerial Armour Factor if the coloured dr is <= 3.

Off-Topic Item Jazz,

I planted three tomatoes last weekend under those Cozy Coats. It was -3 or -4 last night and the beggars look happy as clams. This is about 6 weeks earlier than the norm.

We've been having relatively frigid weather around here for the last week or so. It sucks!!!

=Jim=

Jim McLeod

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Evan Sherry said:
I've been working on Arracourt for 15 years. I have never been comfortable with the research until now. I have been holding a lot of scenarios in reserve until I got better information on this action. I became interested in the battle during a Ft. Knox trainning lecture in 1987. Since then I have been studying the action and since 1990 I have been making scenarios and pulling them from the Schwerpunkt roster until the research was completed to my standard.

Evan Sherry
15 years eh?

Sounds about right for an ASL project. :)

Ortona is going on 10 years and counting. :nuts:

Its the nature of the beast I suppose.

Do you envision a large scenario pack or are maps included in this endeavour?

=Jim=

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm with Mark on this one. This evidence of two men "who were there" only provides the possibility that that particular battlion was reluctant to use the Gyro. It may well only have been their crews, platoon or company, not even the whole battlion. Also, maybe the unit received the tanks before being trained on the proper use, thus they had no faith in the equipment. Any deriving from their statements and applying them to the whole of tank battalions in the ETO is speculation. And to use such speculation to change the rules is a real jump to a conclusion.

The fact is that the US had gyros in WWII and did so for a reason. This alsone is reason to no evenponder changing the rules. And, the gyro only saves you from having +1 anyhow so it may well reflectt he "elevation only" aspect.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Jim McLeod said:
Jazz, I already got an SSR for it.

- Whenever a Panther receives a Turret hit when the Front/Rear VCA and TCA are aligned use the Panther's Aerial Armour Factor if the coloured dr is <= 3.

Off-Topic Item Jazz,

I planted three tomatoes last weekend under those Cozy Coats. It was -3 or -4 last night and the beggars look happy as clams. This is about 6 weeks earlier than the norm.

We've been having relatively frigid weather around here for the last week or so. It sucks!!!

=Jim=
Hell, we just got 6" of snow. Good thing actually, as we *need* the water. It's been a drought around here the last few years. Not to mention that A-Basin will have skiing probably into June :)

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
<< Any deriving from their statements and applying them to the whole of tank battalions in the ETO is speculation. And to use such speculation to change the rules is a real jump to a conclusion.
The fact is that the US had gyros in WWII and did so for a reason. This alsone is reason to no evenponder changing the rules. And, the gyro only saves you from having +1 anyhow so it may well reflectt he "elevation only" aspect.>>

Are you on the pipe? :) I have no idea where you guys are getting this stuff. My post was a simple statement about the 37th Tank Battalion not using gyrostabilizers. I am in no way suggesting that the rules be changed or that other units did not use the gyro. All I said was that the 37th Tank Battalion did not use them. I could care less about what other units did. And for all I care you can put gyros on your ying yang and fire away. This is about the 37th. Please take a breath and re-read the original post. There is nothing about changing the rules or other units not using the gyro.

Gezzzz!

Evan Sherry

Last edited: