Go New England Patriots!

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
he does have the range, but he has been pretty spotty, which i'm sure is what Belicheck was thinking. Had he had Vinatierri i think he would've kicked the figgie.
He was 21/24 on FGs this year (3/5 from 40-49 yds). His only 50+ attempt was back in 2006 and he made it from 52 yds.

Vinatieri was 0/2 from 40-49 and 0/1 from 50+ this year. Last year he was 9/10 & 0/1. Looks like he's starting to lose his range.

I think BB might have gone for it out of arrogance more than worried about missing a FG. I think he was frustrated that it was only 7-3 and the Giants were playing so well on defense.

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He was 21/24 on FGs this year (3/5 from 40-49 yds). His only 50+ attempt was back in 2006 and he made it from 52 yds.

Vinatieri was 0/2 from 40-49 and 0/1 from 50+ this year. Last year he was 9/10 & 0/1. Looks like he's starting to lose his range.

I think BB might have gone for it out of arrogance more than worried about missing a FG. I think he was frustrated that it was only 7-3 and the Giants were playing so well on defense.
Probably so. It was a bad decision either way. Either kick the FG or punt. Trying to make a 4rth and 13 when you're winning is pretty silly.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It still seems like a bad dream. :crosseye:

In the entire Tom Brady era I have never seen such poor blocking for him. I've seen them lose games because they just didn't make plays when they needed them and barely come up short. I've seen them even get blown out like the 31-0 loss to Buffalo on opening day back in 2003. Turnovers, not converting 3rd downs, settling for FGs, etc have always happened and contributed to the few losses they have suffered while Brady was the QB. I have never seen them get shoved around like that though. Hell, it's the same guys that they held to only one sack just over a month ago.

Eli played much better in the regular season game. He made some great throws last night and some great decisions when he needed to but he got away with so many back foot throws and poor decisions. He made a number of throws that should have been incomplete (or even picked off) and still the guy came down with the ball. Brady stood in there with his feet planted and stepped into the throw and took the shot from the defender while Eli is heaving up what look like punts. :laugh:

Tyree makes the catch of his life. Run that play 100 times and at least 95 times I bet Eli gets sacked or Tyree can't hold onto that pass. That 60-65 yard bomb that Brady threw on 3rd & 20 that just missed being caught by Moss probably clicks more often than that Eli to Tyree fluke play.

Hearing "Eli Manning Super Bowl MVP" just makes me puke in my mouth a little. :clown: I don't dislike Eli. I don't like how he came into the league and I don't like him as much as Peyton. I just don't think he's that great. Maybe he just suddenly "gets it" and it clicked for him at the right time. We'll see how he does from now on or if it was just the Giants time and they were on a roll.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hearing "Eli Manning Super Bowl MVP" just makes me puke in my mouth a little. :clown: I don't dislike Eli. I don't like how he came into the league and I don't like him as much as Peyton. I just don't think he's that great. Maybe he just suddenly "gets it" and it clicked for him at the right time. We'll see how he does from now on or if it was just the Giants time and they were on a roll.
Not an Eli fan...nor a Giants/Pats fan either.

HOWEVER...the Giants had seven regular season road wins (they only had 3 home wins). They had 3 road wins just to get to the SB. And those 3 playoff wins were at 3 notoriously tough venues (GreenBay In January!!!). Hard to argue against that!

I have watched Eli play and he doesn't look that good. His play isn't very smooth...almost sloppy at time. I don't think Eli will ever get to that business-like, systematic, rhythmic pace that one can see Peyton hit in most games. BUT...the kid knows how to win....and in the NFL environment, that is just about ALL that matters.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

I remember (vaguely... seems long ago now) the last time the 'Skins won the big game, SB XXVI, and MArk Rypien won MMP. Even at the time I thought it was odd that someone who came form nowhere and basically didn't lose the game (rather than win it) could take that accolade. Sure enough, within a year most NFL fans wouldn't be able to tell you where he was playing. Allowing for the personal tragedies in his life after that game, he still meleted away to obsurity.

Compared to that I think Manning Minor probably deserved it more.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I remember (vaguely... seems long ago now) the last time the 'Skins won the big game, SB XXVI, and MArk Rypien won MMP. Even at the time I thought it was odd that someone who came form nowhere and basically didn't lose the game (rather than win it) could take that accolade. Sure enough, within a year most NFL fans wouldn't be able to tell you where he was playing. Allowing for the personal tragedies in his life after that game, he still meleted away to obsurity.

Compared to that I think Manning Minor probably deserved it more.
Yeah. Rypien just disappeared not long after that.

I agree that the Giants D played extremely well but for those that claim they should have the MVP... no. They still gave up the lead and Eli led the offense back down for the lead and then the win. His QB rating for the first 3 quarters was only 44.4 IIRC but in the 4th Q it was over 140. :crosseye:

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah. Rypien just disappeared not long after that.

I agree that the Giants D played extremely well but for those that claim they should have the MVP... no. They still gave up the lead and Eli led the offense back down for the lead and then the win. His QB rating for the first 3 quarters was only 44.4 IIRC but in the 4th Q it was over 140. :crosseye:
I would be curious what Elway's first 3 quarter average rating was and his 4th quarter rating. He is a Hall of Fame QB, but I always questioned if he was such a great QB, why in the world did they always need a game winning drive in the last 2 minutes to win a game. OTOH, it is mark of a great QB to not fold under the pressure and pull it off consistently.

I saw Peyton "sh*t the bed" plenty of times at Tennessee, but he turned out to be a pretty good NFL QB. I guess his brother is chasing some demons or vice-versa.