GMT Games Downtown

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a dilemma, I really want a copy of this game.

Problem, Very hard to get hold of. so here it is, has anyone or can any one get hold of a copy of this for me at a good price, PM me if you can.

all the best

Perry

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Perry,

did you look at BoardGameGeek?

Hans

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Perry,

did you look at BoardGameGeek?

Hans

Hi Hans,

yep, had a bite as it were from someone in France on the trade section, but he had traded it 6 years ago and had not updated his file, have sent a few requests out on the BGG trade section, but so far apart from the one in France which did not turn out ok, no dice.

Perry

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It is an excellent game. The VASSAL module is superb, lots of drop down menus on the counters. makes life so much easier.

Good luck on your hunt.

Paul

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It is an excellent game. The VASSAL module is superb, lots of drop down menus on the counters. makes life so much easier.

Good luck on your hunt.

Paul

Cheers Paul,

Have managed to acquire all the charts that are not on VASSAL and am teaching myself the game, have played 'Surfin Bird' 2 times now and have set up 'Wheel of Hurt'.
Verdict I love the game, am in the process of getting hold of 'Elusive victory', and have secured a copy of 'The Burning Blue', all GMT games, so my games room has a certain 'Air war' flavour to it at the moment.

and cheers,

From what I have gathered I am going to be up against it finding a copy.

all the best

Perry

robh91

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Perry
Eleven copies sold on GeekMarket this year (though most sales were pretty pricey). I would be patient and keep looking there.
It might be worth a "wanted" post here:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?8@@.1dcdf497
It is definitely worth putting a wanted post here (this is how I found a couple of obscure games I couldn't find anywhere else):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WargamersMarketplace/?fref=nf
Thanks very much for the heads up, Consim world no worries, but I am not on FB. Just a shame GMT are not likely to re-print it. Many thanks for the ideas though.

all the best

Perry

robh91

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks very much for the heads up, Consim world no worries, but I am not on FB. Just a shame GMT are not likely to re-print it. Many thanks for the ideas though.

all the best

Perry
Do you want me to put a wanted ad up for you? If I get any bites I'll forward them on.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Do you want me to put a wanted ad up for you? If I get any bites I'll forward them on.
Yes please, that would be much appreciated.

PM me if you do manage to come up with anything.

all the best and thank you very much

Perry

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
After my first play I hated the game. I took the NVA and felt as if I was a punch-bag. Don't expect too many air to air clashes, but the victory conditions are finely judged. My opponent decided to fly in at low level with some of his aircraft to avoid the SAM radars and lost a couple of jets to small arms fire. that was enough to win me the scenario. Materially it felt like anything but a win, but many scenarios later and it really is a gem of a game. Asymmetric in nature, but oozes history by the tonne.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
After my first play I hated the game. I took the NVA and felt as if I was a punch-bag. Don't expect too many air to air clashes, but the victory conditions are finely judged. My opponent decided to fly in at low level with some of his aircraft to avoid the SAM radars and lost a couple of jets to small arms fire. that was enough to win me the scenario. Materially it felt like anything but a win, but many scenarios later and it really is a gem of a game. Asymmetric in nature, but oozes history by the tonne.
I have noticed. I can not put my finger on it, but I like it. So much So I am in the process of getting hold of Elusive Victory, and also have bought The Burning Blue! and wargames wise I am traditionally a pure ground pounder/Tread head.

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
If you like those games, you might want to take a look at another upcoming GMT air game called Red Storm. NATO vs WarPac coverage.

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
If you want to see some more about Red Storm, you could check it at the InsideGMT blog.

It's accessible from their website or the product page.