FrF52 Set up Question

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I apologize for my ignorance, but could not find anything in the rulebook on this. In Frf52, "Dying for Danzig," the Soviet set up instructions state:
"Set up < 3 hexes from either R8 or R1:"
(actually, says less than or equal to 2, but I don't know the UTF-8 code for "less than or equal to" and "less than 3" is equivalent).

Anyway, is this the inclusive "or" or the exclusive "or?" That is, may I divide the ten squads and two leaders, etc between these two locations, or must all the listed units be set up within two hexes of exactly one of these locations? Thank you for any help with this.

Dave

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I believe the intention is that the Soviet player must choose one or the other and cannot split between the two setup areas.

To put in a "<", you can either use the underline under a "<" ([u]<[/u]) or search "less than or equal unicode" in your favorite browser and copy one that's on one of the pages, "≤". Don't try to copy an image depiction. You can also use "<=", and probably people will understand.

edit: If you know how to type in unicode via direct input, the unicode value is 0x2264, "≤".

JR

Last edited:

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the lessons, both ASL and Unicode (I am a frequent user of LaTeX, so would prefer to go with $\le$ for the symbol).

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I apologize for my ignorance, but could not find anything in the rulebook on this. In Frf52, "Dying for Danzig," the Soviet set up instructions state:
"Set up < 3 hexes from either R8 or R1:"
(actually, says less than or equal to 2, but I don't know the UTF-8 code for "less than or equal to" and "less than 3" is equivalent).

Anyway, is this the inclusive "or" or the exclusive "or?"
It's an "or" paired with a word that you seem to have missed: "either". The phrase "either ... or ..." cannot be anything than the "exclusive or". It's the equivalent of saying "pick one of ...".

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's an "or" paired with a word that you seem to have missed: "either". The phrase "either ... or ..." cannot be anything than the "exclusive or". It's the equivalent of saying "pick one of ...".
In hindsight, I'm sure you're right. I think my conditioning as a mathematician tripped me up. For me, as a mathematician, "or" is ALWAYS the inclusive or. One would use a phrase like "exactly one of" when the exclusive or was intended, admitting no possibility of confusion.