Country
llUnited States
There is a good making-of doc here:

[video=youtube_share;WfjbMc32GRM]http://youtu.be/WfjbMc32GRM[/video]

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stop it! Just Stop it! You are eroding my already questionable will power. Of course I could just stop clicking on the thread, but that isn't my responsibility, its yours. So stop it!

wrinkle

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
For me - it's totally game of the year! I'm playing it now and it's great. I love its exotic climate just like in Far Cry 1, storyline is also nice and graphics - impressive!

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will.......power.......fading........going........going.......

NO!! I will not buy this game yet!

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Selling mine for $25, including the whole uplay account (doesn't have anything else in it). If the transport of the license doesn't work you get your money back. pm if interested.

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got a couple of hours in last nite. So far, I like it. I gotta figure out how to switch out weapons, the console aspect is annoying. I ran out of mg ammo and it switched to a mine instead of my pistol. I died. It looks like there is a lot to explore, but we'll see how much is 'repeatable'. An ongoing adventure.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It looks like there is a lot to explore, but we'll see how much is 'repeatable'.
That is what I am curious about. I can't get a handle on just how much is "sandbox" and how much is scripted. For example, that AI gunfight over control of that bridge (as detailed in my second blog entry on the game). If that was an unscripted event I would be incredibly impressed. However, it is entirely possible that it was scripted because I just happened to need to go across that bridge at the moment.

Something tells me that Ubisoft came up with a clever sandbox/scripted hybrid. I am starting to suspect the wildlife and stuff are completely unscripted sandbox, but a lot of the pirate/rebel activity are scripted events triggered by free roaming player actions. If so, it would be a very clever idea.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is 99% a MMORPG game just like a LOTRO or so. You slot thing, you craft, you craft essential things like the holster that gives you the ability to have several weapons. The story is told exactly like in a MMORPG - quests in the open landscape, in a quest chain so that you do it in sequence. Of course you are free to do other quests at any time.

The problem is that those MMORPGs have much better interfaces and make use of a PC's ability to have a keyboard, and to use high resolution (FC3 doesn't use high resolution for anything). That cripples the game, IMHO. Just for example the only way to find out about that weapon slot and holster thing is google.

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The problem is that those MMORPGs have much better interfaces and make use of a PC's ability to have a keyboard, and to use high resolution (FC3 doesn't use high resolution for anything). That cripples the game, IMHO. Just for example the only way to find out about that weapon slot and holster thing is google.
I agree, except I did find the info in game about the crafting/holster to hold a second weapon. I now carry the AK and pistol. But, after day 2; I'm still enjoying the exploration/ gameplay. It's a learning curve that's not ideal for a PC, but I'm finding it playable as a single play game. Like all new games, it has pulled me away from my other games; we shall see how long that lasts. :)

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hate consoles. And I hate console ports. Just saying.
Yikes. True some games are straight ports, or rather the developers did not take the time to give the PC version of a game some PC specific additions. But these days, any game that is multiplatform can be considered a console port. Dead Space 3 for instance is a game I read that will not have PC specific options, but a game like Borderlands 2 does and it looks great and I can play with a gamepad which I love.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, if its true that DS3 won't have specific perks for the PC gamer thats too bad, and they're missing out on a platform that could show how kick a$$ the game could be. With games costing so much to develop nowdays it seems that its all about kick it out and try to get as much money back as quickly as possible then move on to the next multi-platform game. Just as Tort is projecting Mech games to be the next big thing, I think PC gamers are going to turn more and more to the indie devs for the games that push big time pixels and show off the hardware that they pay so dearly for. Oh, except for Crysis(maybe).

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since I got frustrated with Torchlight, I moved on to Far Cry 3. Even though I was having a blast with this game, I stopped playing it because it was making be depressed to see the sunny beaches in the game while the snow fell outside my window in RL. :D But I am really not kidding. Like I wrote in my blog, Far Cry 3 comes the closest to achieving the powerful setting of Stalker (yeah, Skyrim comes very close, too, but I find it doesn't have as much personality as either Stalker or FC3. Skyrim just feels too fantasy generic at times, while Stalker and FC3 really have a unique vibe - a real sense of place - to them). Case in point:

The flocks of tropical birds, the humidity in the air, the bright sun, the WWII wrecks/bunkers, the decrepit buildings and cars ...it all just creates a realm that feels palpably real.

Ah, my rent-a-wreck. :D Love these cars. And notice my new wrist tattoos? :cool: Anyway, here, I was driving around when I spotted a red car parked outside a building up a side road. I got out to investigate, thinking it was a pirate technical, and discovered it was just a red car. However, a half a mile further on, I did find what I was looking for:

A pirate camp! I like how every pirate camp looks a bit different from other camps.

I am starting to find the game is a bit too easy on normal since I have acquired some silenced weaponry. The AI does a good job of searching you out once it spots a body, but you can do A LOT of damage to them before that happens. Here, one of the pirates took a shot with a RPG (or was it a Molotov cocktail - both?) that started a fire near my camping spot. I had to move. Nice way to smoke me out.

This is a shot of one of the many underground ancient ruins found about the island. I really like how the game goes to great lengths to establish the idea that Rook Island has a deep past of skullduggery and madness, i.e., you are just the most recent victim of Rook Island.

After a hard day of doing contract work for Buck (what a great voice actor was used for that char!), I decided to play some poker with the local losers.

Again, another smart design decision is seen in this mini-game: FC3 NEVER breaks the first person perspective. Other games would have transitioned to a flat 2D poker game (sort of like a Facebook game). FC3 maintains the FPS perspective throughout the game, even down to this. I have to say I had a blast playing with these guys. I love the smalltalk banter, as well as how a loser doesn't just disappear, but can be seen getting up from the table to smoke a cig or something like that. FC3 never lets its immersive guard down once. Now, that is not to say there couldn't be improvements - I have about a dozen improvements I would like seen made to the FC3 formula so as to bring it closer to the nitty-gritty gameplay mechanics of Skyrim (like sleeping!), but as it is, it is probably one of the finest games I have played in a long time.

Here's hoping Watch_Dogs gets the same treatment.

BTW: Some new stuff coming to FC 3:

Far Cry 3′s future patches to add new difficulty, infinite Outposts