Falling Snow: OBA and Spotting Rounds.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You guys have caught me again: Don is imaginary. A figment of my vivid imagination. I suspect that he does not tolerate trolls well. Yesterday when he asked me to ask a question, I simply referred him to where that I knew that answer could be found in my rules. He found the answer. He has my rules because it is an hour and forty minute bus ride to his mansion, and the hell if I am carrying my rulebook back and forth. With all the additions it is bursting at the seems. The question about Falling Snow and OBA seemed a reasonable question. Indeed, ask Donald Greenwood if it is true about him winning the championships twice in row in the past. Maybe he make that up. Tim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You guys have caught me again: Don is imaginary. A figment of my vivid imagination. I suspect that he does not tolerate trolls well. Yesterday when he asked me to ask a question, I simply referred him to where that I knew that answer could be found in my rules. He found the answer. He has my rules because it is an hour and forty minute bus ride to his mansion, and the hell if I am carrying my rulebook back and forth. With all the additions it is bursting at the seems. The question about Falling Snow and OBA seemed a reasonable question. Indeed, ask Donald Greenwood if it is true about him winning the championships twice in row in the past. Maybe he make that up.
I am not clear on why Mr. Reeve and perhaps several others have decided that Mr. Niesen is not using this forum "correctly," and that by giving nasty replies that will somehow make the situation "better." My suggestion to Mr. Niesen would be to put Mr. Reeve on "ignore". I am slowly coming round to that position myself. The mechanism is to find a post by Mr. Reeve, click in his name on the left. A popup will appear with an "ignore" link, and clicking on that link will add Mr. Reeve to your "ignore list." A user on your "ignore list" can be restored by clicking on your own name in the header, click on the "ignoring" link then clicking "unignore."

I would also suggest to Mr. Reeve that if Mr. Niesen's posts aggrieve you so much that you cannot respond in a reasonable manner, you might do the same thing for Mr. Niesen's account. Not only will you be happier, but the forum as a whole will be better for it.

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like Robert. His posts are often informative. I am very insensative to attack. Bring it on trolls. I have to meet my lawyer next week, according to Don D., he was his Squad Leader partner back in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Neil Albert will tell me the truth. Were they Squad Leader champions? Our fellow gamer, Dennis Roades asserts that Don makes up things all the time. He will ally with Col. Bill Smith in the next campaign game. He loves to beat Don at war games. Seldom happens. Tim

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think people are allowed imaginary friends. Except that I don’t think Don Deibler is imaginary. Tim mentioned him in an April post. Between April and now Tim mentioned a few times that he’s not allowed to bring up his name. Yet a lot of questions from Tim are relayed from Don and Tim kept supplying details about Don to the degree that makes me feel I am getting more info about Don than Tim.

I am used to cutting through the chase.

Might as well just talk to Don.

Plus - if you are my friend and you have a thing about not using your name, I wont supply the world with info about you. I’d just say “opponent”.

But that’s just me.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Sorry, I don't mean to troll.
I do have questions, because I find the process of relaying questions of another player who relies on SL rather strange.
I also find complicated to understand and/or answer rules questions when they are expressed in a very approximate way.
I nevertheless have tried to answer them and help Tim on other occasions.
Of course, you can put me on ignore, as someone who clearly has decided to single me out as the only person who has those questions - which clearly is not the case, as can be noted in this thread and others.
I don't understand that level of hostility, which that person occasionally manifests against me - this time by name calling.

I maintain that invoking SL to solve ASL questions is not a valid way of proceeding.
And I do think that Don - who seems to exist after all - should ask his questions directly, in particular because he has the rulebook handy. I would have some difficulties if I had to ask rules questions without having the rulebook.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Folks, I should not use references to Squad Leader in the context of questions requested by my ally (He has not been my opponent except in a series of Nappy War games, a game that eludes my grasp.) That was my error and Robert was correct in being critical. For those sceptics, do you really think that I have the depth of knowledge about WW2 in Europe to ask such an esoteric question like the one about the late war armor modifications to the Panther? And the essay about the German coast defense sysyem in Rumania. If you actually believe that he is imaginary you are certainly overestimating my knowledge depth! Tim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Tim, thanks for understanding that if I am critical about some proceedings, I certainly am not hostile against you as a person - an nuance which has its importance when it comes to debating.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In this case of Falling Snow, the effects on the spotting round and the FFEs seem simple, there cannnot be accuracy; that is, a one for the Soviets and Rumanians cannot be accurate; and a roll of one or two for the Germans cannot be accurate. The visual hinderance effects on direct fire of Falling Snow I understand. Tim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
You are right, with an exception for a Pre-Registered hex.
C1.62 VISION EFFECTS: When placing/Correcting a SR/FFE, all Hindrances along the Observer's LOS between his hex and that of the AR, as well as any SMOKE in his hex, are treated as cumulative drm to the Accuracy dr if they Hinder his LOS to all non-Aerial Locations of the AR's hex that are in his LOS [EXC: if the AR is in a Pre-Registered hex; 1.732].

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the campaign game which we are about to start the Soviets have an odd option of pre-registered hexes of naval OBA. My imaginary ally has argued that it does not make sense from a historical perspective (ie., The Soviet Navy in the Black Sea dared not appear in the day time there because of Rumanian and German air power.) So this could rule could come in handy. Tim