DB035 A Hotly Contested Crossroads - AAR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
DB035 A Hotly Contested Crossroads - AAR

DB035 A Hotly Contested Crossroads Scenario Archive.jpg

Sharp 1945 Eastern Front action with an Elite Guards force with strong armor support attacking a village held by quality Germans supported by 2 Hetzers and a few ht-toys. The Germans have to hold on to a certain number of buildings.

Problems for the Russians is having only very little time to get things done, initially a difficult approach and the threat of German LATW.
German problems are the scarcity of own infantry and the vulnerability of its ht's to both enemy armor and infantry attacks.

I had the defending Germans in this one. Basic plan was to his the Russians during the initial advance and then to gradually fall back to preserve the infantry. The attacking Russians opted for a two pronged attack (roughly equal forces on each flank) and aimed to push agressively through into the German rear.

This plan could have worked well, had not lavished lady luck just the right rolls in just the right situations on me with perfect timing: Snakes vs. the 9-2+ 2x458+LMG causing a lethal wound and leaving two broken HS. Two other squads broken which were planning to search for the Einzelkämpfer. One Einzelkämpfer found a PF to Shock a T34, the other was discovered but RFP which he placed caused ridiculous pain on the Russians later. One Hetzer killed another T34, the HMG-ht broke another Russian leader + 1.5 squads. Nevertheless, 2 SU-85 broke through to threaten the Germans from the rear. My 75L ht, however, managed to turn 3 spines without bogging in woods, got ROF and killed one of them with his 2nd shot. On the other flank, one of my Hetzers was hard pressed by 2 T34s ADJACENT and killed in CC.

During German T1, the Einzelkämpfer found a PF again to kill the previously shocked and recovered T34. In general, I 'found' PF's everytime I looked - even with an SMC. German infantry managed to get ADJACENT to a SU-85 which had previously stopped a German 8-1+548, but then malfed the MA on intensive fire, leaving it defenceless vs. AFPh PF attempts and CC (provided PAATCs were passed). My Pz II noticed an opportunity for a glorious sortie and sallied forth cornering a stack of 3x broken Squad + broken leader which would be all eliminated for FtR and fired off a 9FP flat which failed to break yet another Russian squad, though. One of the German ht's cornered yet another broken Russian squad likewise which would die for FtR. The Einzelkämpfer which had just killed a tank had the option to be sacrificed but in doing so re-DM'ing another broken 8-0 + squad. My second Hetzer moved into position for an AFPh shot vs. a APCR-less T34. The Good Order 9-1+458 which was in a position to reach the German backfield thus potentially posing a huge problem, was, however isolated from most of the rest of the Russian infantry.

Mainly due to the serious infantry losses and the high probability of losing the 4th AFV later in the turn, my opponent conceded at the end of DFPh of German turn 1. Vicious action in which the Germans showed that they were good for one last bite. I have to say though, that the Russian plan of attack may well have worked in case lady luck would have looked the other way.

Good scenario, though I can't really give myself full credit for the win. Another proof, though, that rolling low at the right time remains the best tactic. ;)

von Marwitz

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just out of curiosity, how does a panzerfaust shock a T-34. A "12" is a dud and everything else kills, unless I'm mistaken.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Just out of curiosity, how does a panzerfaust shock a T-34. A "12" is a dud and everything else kills, unless I'm mistaken.
Good point.

It must have been some 75L Gun which shocked that tank which was then subsequently taken out by a PF of the Einzelkämpfer.

von Marwitz