Cropping boards problem

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

An odd problem, when cropping boards the program crops the wrong board. IE if I say crop board 19 VASL will crop board 22. I am using the latest version 6.4.3.

buser333

Reaction score
Hi ya-

An odd problem, when cropping boards the program crops the wrong board. IE if I say crop board 19 VASL will crop board 22. I am using the latest version 6.4.3.
I have noticed this at times too. I believe if you try to crop the other board it will crop the one you want.

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's been reported a couple of times (once by me).

At least, if it's the same problem. Let me guess, you have four boards in a square, and when you try to crop upper-right, it crops lower-left (and vice versa)?

It always does that position error, so you can work around it by picking the number of the other board and cropping.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It's been reported a couple of times (once by me).

At least, if it's the same problem. Let me guess, you have four boards in a square, and when you try to crop upper-right, it crops lower-left (and vice versa)?

It always does that position error, so you can work around it by picking the number of the other board and cropping.
Apologies, I have missed the previous reporting of this. I will look into it. Can you give me more details about where and when it occurs? Does it occur when cropping board rows (ie 1-10) or board columns (ie A-GG) or both? You mentioned 2x2 configurations. What about 1x3 or 3x1?

Anything you can tell me helps with the debugging. Thanks.

Doug

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cropping rows tends to be fairly rare, so I had to check that. Exact same behavior.

It only happens when there are multiple rows and multiple columns. A 1x3 or 1x4 pattern doesn't have trouble (nor 3x1 or 4x1), but 2 rows by 3 columns does (saw that on one of the Fort board setups...). In that case, the previous pattern holds:
11 12 13
14 15 16

If you just look at the first two columns for a moment, what happens is 11 and 15 are fine, but 14 and 12 swap crop commands. When to go to the full six pattern illustrated, then 15 and 13 swap crop commands as well.

But if you do:
21 22
23 24
25 26

Then 22 goes to 24, 24 goes to 25, 25 goes to 23, and 23 goes to 22, while 21 and 26 are fine. >.<

Last edited:

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While this provides little to zero help, I saw similar with a 2x2 board configuration. Cropping hit the wrong board, but I was able to work through it.

VASL 6.4.3

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
While this provides little to zero help, I saw similar with a 2x2 board configuration. Cropping hit the wrong board, but I was able to work through it.

VASL 6.4.3

Tatra Salad SP191 had the issue

Top Left bd 18 R-GG Top Right bd 50 A-P
Bottom Left bd 2 R-GG Bottom Right bd 55 A-P

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks to all for these specific examples. I am now starting to debug the issue and this will help me a lot.

I changed some code in 6.4.3 to enable the use of multiple copies of the same board in a map (with cropping, flipping, and LOS all working). I think in doing so I created your problem.

Doug

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have been working on this and (hopefully) have found a solution. I would appreciate it if you could test the fix by using this version of VASL and trying to set up a few maps using the configurations mentionned above (with any boards you choose). Please check the cropping works and (if you are using LOS-enabled boards) that the LOS string works. If you find any bugs, let me know and I will keep working at it. I have done some testing but more always helps. It it works, I will build the solution into the next official release. In the meantime you can continue to use this version which is 6.4.3 with the bug fix.

PS you don't have to have a dropbox account to download the VASL module

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doug, tested on both desert and non-desert boards that I had problems with and also on combination Fort/standard boards. Cropping and LOS looks good. Many thanks.

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just got around to testing this on the original problem I found, and it's looking good.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for testing and letting me know. There is not much in the VASL pipeline (code-wise) so I may put this out there as 6.4.3.1 around the end of March.