Crest Status

morgan kane

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Played a couple of scenarios using board 25 not sure I understand the Crest Status rule B20.9.

The EX in B19.4
upload_2017-3-17_0-10-44.png
It cost 6 MF to move from IN Y4 INTO Y5 a total of 6 MF.
Can a unit move from IN Y4 to Crest status in Y5?
B20.91: "Good order infantry outside a Depression may claim Crest status in the Depression hex it enters by expending one less MF than the normal COT of that hex".
It looks like the answer is No. Am I correct?

Moving from Z5 to Crest status in Y5 (hexside Y5-Z5) will be 3MF (4MF -1). Is that correct?

upload_2017-3-17_0-6-26.png

The EX above from board 25
It cost 4 MF to move from BB7 INTO BB6 (2MF gully hex+ Abrupt elevation change 2MF). What if a unit move from BB6 to Crest status in BB7 (BB7-BB6).
B20.91: "Good order infantry outside a Depression may claim Crest status in the Depression hex it enters by expending one less MF than the normal COT of that hex".
Is a move from BB7 to Crest status in BB6 just considered moving into higher ground, that is 2x1MF and a total of 2MF or should this still be considered an abrupt elevation change that is 2+1MF and a total of 3MF?

Assume a units wants to advance from BB7 to BB6 and attack a unit IN BB6 during CCPh. Can this unit advance into Crest status in BB6 and hereby avoide to become CX due to difficult terrain (which is it will be if advancing INTO BB6)? Can not find anything in the rules that does not allow it.

/Morgan

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A unit IN Y4 may move into crest status of Y5 with the middle of the crest counter across the Y4/Y5 hexside by expending five MF.

A unit in Z5 may move into crest status of Y5 with the middle of the crest counter across the Z5/Y5 hexside by expending three MF.

As long as it puts the crest counter with the middle across the BB7/BB6 hexside, a unit could enter BB6 crest for three MF. The normal COT is four MF, and to enter crest you pay one less.

As long as a unit in BB7 has four MF available, it may advance into BB6 crest along the appropriate hexside and not be considered advancing vs. difficult terrain.

JR

morgan kane

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Thanks for the reply

Only one thing left that bothers me. Y4 is a depression hex, but it is still possible for a unit to move from IN Y4 to Crest status Y5.
If so what is the meaning with this sentence from B20.91: "Good order infantry outside a Depression may claim Crest status in the Depression hex it enters".

/Morgan

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the reply

Only one thing left that bothers me. Y4 is a depression hex, but it is still possible for a unit to move from IN Y4 to Crest status Y5.
If so what is the meaning with this sentence from B20.91: "Good order infantry outside a Depression may claim Crest status in the Depression hex it enters".

/Morgan
It means what it says. Typically a unit is moving from a non-depression into a depression hex or from a depression into another, connecting depression hex (i.e. gully to connecting gully). A unit could not move from IN one gully directly into Crest status of the connecting gully.

In your case, technically, the unit in Y4 would have to first exit the gully (to now be "outside a Depression" to move, now, into Crest status in the Y5 gully.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Technically, the way the rule is worded I would say that move is not allowed, assuming "outside a Depression" means "not in a Depression hex".

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Technically, the way the rule is worded I would say that move is not allowed, assuming "outside a Depression" means "not in a Depression hex".
I see your point, but wouldn't it make more sense to interpret the rule as meaning that the unit is coming from outside the depression hex it is moving into? This makes more intuitive sense, IMO.

I guess it comes down to whether "a" should have been written as "the."

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I see your point, but wouldn't it make more sense to interpret the rule as meaning that the unit is coming from outside the depression hex it is moving into?

This makes more intuitive sense, IMO.

I guess it comes down to whether "a" should have been written as "the."
I agree that it probably would make more sense. I was thinking that what the rule really was trying to say is that you can't cross a Depression hexside while making this move, which is what it says in the sentence following:

"Good Order Infantry outside a Depression may claim Crest status in the Depression hex it enters along the hexside it enters by expending one less MF than the normal COT of that hex but its Crest counter must be placed so that the middle of the three hexsides it could conceivably protect is the hexside crossed. Therefore, this option could not be used when entering a Depression via a Depression hexside."

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I agree that it probably would make more sense. I was thinking that what the rule really was trying to say is that you can't cross a Depression hexside while making this move, which is what it says in the sentence following:

"Good Order Infantry outside a Depression may claim Crest status in the Depression hex it enters along the hexside it enters by expending one less MF than the normal COT of that hex but its Crest counter must be placed so that the middle of the three hexsides it could conceivably protect is the hexside crossed. Therefore, this option could not be used when entering a Depression via a Depression hexside."
Aha! Good catch - though I'll still question the point.

I think your highlighted text is the rule meant to prevent a unit moving from one gully (depression) directly into Crest status of a connecting gully. While I believe that the Y4/Y5 hexside technically IS a "depression hexside," I suspect this was not the case intended by the rule you highlighted...

Still, your point adds serious fuel to your argument, so I suspect a question to Perry really is in order. If he agrees with me, than an Errata would also be required.

Crazy! This board gets used a lot, and I think I have employed (or seen employed) this exact move several times!

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
While I believe that the Y4/Y5 hexside technically IS a "depression hexside," I suspect this was not the case intended by the rule you highlighted...
Y4/Y5 is not a Depression hexside - see the first A6.8 example.

morgan kane

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Got a reply from Perry:

One can enter crest in Y5 from Y4.

While in Y4, you are outside of the Y5 Depression.

....Perry

MMP

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Got a reply from Perry:

One can enter crest in Y5 from Y4.

While in Y4, you are outside of the Y5 Depression.

....Perry

MMP
Would you please post it (the question as well) in the Perry Sez sub-folder as well?

Last edited: