Ch Drm

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does TEM that is not reversed (C3.71) for a CH still modify the DR?

EDIT: stoopid forum changed my CH DRM title to Ch Drm.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Airburst does. I'm struggling to come up with many other TEMs that don't reverse (at least that are positive) - probably height advantage, but that doesn't apply on the resolution normally anyway so it wouldn't apply on a crit either.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Airburst does. I'm struggling to come up with many other TEMs that don't reverse (at least that are positive) - probably height advantage, but that doesn't apply on the resolution normally anyway so it wouldn't apply on a crit either.
The question comes up from an AAR situation: units in a level 2 stone building get hit by an ATT CH. One is on Level 1, and another on Level 0. Random selection selects all the locations for the CH. What is the DRM for each attack?

C3.71 says that the extra +1 for building levels above you are not reversed for CH purposes. It does not say that they do not apply, so I am thinking the DRM are -2 (-3 for Stone building TEM and +1 for the level 2 above it), and -1 (-3 for Stone building TEM and +2 for the two levels above it).

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The question comes up from an AAR situation: units in a level 2 stone building get hit by an ATT CH. One is on Level 1, and another on Level 0. Random selection selects all the locations for the CH. What is the DRM for each attack?

C3.71 says that the extra +1 for building levels above you are not reversed for CH purposes. It does not say that they do not apply, so I am thinking the DRM are -2 (-3 for Stone building TEM and +1 for the level 2 above it), and -1 (-3 for Stone building TEM and +2 for the two levels above it).
That same EXC: excludes SMOKE and Hindrance TEM as well. By this logic....if you get a CH on that same building after shooting through two hindrances and +3 SMOKE, you'd be looking at +3 vs the 1st floor and +4 vs the 2nd....somehow I don't think this is what is meant by this EXC.

I believe this EXCeption indicates that those modifiers listed do not apply at all for the resolution.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
That same EXC: excludes SMOKE and Hindrance TEM as well.
...which is an example of an incorrect exception, since neither of those are TEM.

By this logic....if you get a CH on that same building after shooting through two hindrances and +3 SMOKE, you'd be looking at +3 vs the 1st floor and +4 vs the 2nd....somehow I don't think this is what is meant by this EXC.
Surely not. But since SMOKE/Hindrance is not TEM (regardless of what this incorrect exception attempts to make us believe), they are never added to the effect DR of an ATT attack in the first place, so the logic would not add those.

The additional level DRM is another matter. B23.32 tells us to add them as DRM to the effect DR, and the accomanying example calls it a TEM. So unlike Hindrance/SMOKE, they are added to any ATT effect DR unless stated otherwise.

C3.71 doesn't state otherwise, but only says that those DRM are not negated, thus a strict reading of the rules mandates the addition of those to the CH effect DR.

However, the way C3.71 is written, I get the impression that this was probably not the intention, and that the intention is for the positive, non-reversed TEM to just disappear. The problem is that this is just an impression I get, and nothing the rule says.

I believe this EXCeption indicates that those modifiers listed do not apply at all for the resolution.
Possibly, but unfortunately it doesn't say so...

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I know smoke is not a TEM. ;p

The logic behind including upper level building modifiers in the resolution does not make sense when you consider what a CH is modeling. The round lands so close to a particular unit that the TEM compresses the effects...how would the ceiling above the head of the hero hugging the mortar round help him suck up some of the shrapnel?

(I'll strive to keep any future replies to strict rules lingo) :)

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Yeah, I know smoke is not a TEM. ;p

The logic behind including upper level building modifiers in the resolution does not make sense when you consider what a CH is modeling. The round lands so close to a particular unit that the TEM compresses the effects...how would the ceiling above the head of the hero hugging the mortar round help him suck up some of the shrapnel?
I fully agree with this. So this, and the fact that the rule takes time to explicitely mentions that negative DRM applies as normal without mentioning those others give me the same impression as you.

I assume the exception about the upper level DRM is there because the CH doesn't become more effective just because there are a couple of levels above - just as you correctly argue that it doesn't become less effective either.

(I'll strive to keep any future replies to strict rules lingo) :)
Take it with a grain of salt if I seem a bit harsh. I appreciate seeing old ASL personalities around (old meaning people I read about when I started playing ASL in early/middle 90's - not old of age), even if they're a bit rusty. :toast: