Bye Bye Bama

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just turned on the game to find OK up by 7 with a minute left and watching McCarron fumble and a OK TD. I guess Bama wasn't the greatest team to walk the planet after all. Wonder if any Bama fans are going to die tonight?

:p

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Just turned on the game to find OK up by 7 with a minute left and watching McCarron fumble and a OK TD. I guess Bama wasn't the greatest team to walk the planet after all. Wonder if any Bama fans are going to die tonight?

:p

Dave:

I'll be the first to admit that Alabama was both outplayed and, more importantly, outcoached in the Sugar Bowl. Oklahoma had a much better plan for the game and their freshman quaterback played fantastic. Saban is going to have to figure out how to deal with up-tempo teams. All three of the teams they had problems with this year (and two losses), were to up-tempo teams -- Texas A&M, Auburn and Oklahoma. In a game of "line 'em up and play smashmouth football" I still think Alabama is the favorite. However, it seems that college football is making a transition to the up-tempo style. I was surprised that the pace of the game was so fast that the announcers and cameramen were have problems keeping up.

Saban's biggest challenge for next year will be finding a successor to McCarron. There is no clear-cut "next quaterback", so I think that will make for a tough 2014. Plus, who's the next Mosely on the defense? I figure that they'll be picked no higher than 3rd in the SEC West going into next year; Auburn 1st and LSU 2nd.

Since I'm not a native Alabamian (born and raised in Ohio), I get to root for both state teams.

Mark

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dave:

I'll be the first to admit that Alabama was both outplayed and, more importantly, outcoached in the Sugar Bowl. Oklahoma had a much better plan for the game and their freshman quaterback played fantastic. Saban is going to have to figure out how to deal with up-tempo teams. All three of the teams they had problems with this year (and two losses), were to up-tempo teams -- Texas A&M, Auburn and Oklahoma. In a game of "line 'em up and play smashmouth football" I still think Alabama is the favorite. However, it seems that college football is making a transition to the up-tempo style. I was surprised that the pace of the game was so fast that the announcers and cameramen were have problems keeping up.

Saban's biggest challenge for next year will be finding a successor to McCarron. There is no clear-cut "next quaterback", so I think that will make for a tough 2014. Plus, who's the next Mosely on the defense? I figure that they'll be picked no higher than 3rd in the SEC West going into next year; Auburn 1st and LSU 2nd.

Since I'm not a native Alabamian (born and raised in Ohio), I get to root for both state teams.

Mark
Pretty good analysis. I like people who know not only the strength of their teams but their weaknesses too. Shows you to be a true fan of the game. Unfortunately some of the same issues that you listed off for Bama will also plague Ohio State as well (i.e., Braxton Miller). Personally I think Saban is a class act so I generally don't cheer for Bama to lose. Now Urban Meyer is a slimy MF'er and anytime he loses it is a good day.

BTW - Looks like you have had a bad couple of days.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Pretty good analysis. I like people who know not only the strength of their teams but their weaknesses too. Shows you to be a true fan of the game. Unfortunately some of the same issues that you listed off for Bama will also plague Ohio State as well (i.e., Braxton Miller). Personally I think Saban is a class act so I generally don't cheer for Bama to lose. Now Urban Meyer is a slimy MF'er and anytime he loses it is a good day.

BTW - Looks like you have had a bad couple of days.

Nope! I wasn't surprised at the Bama loss once I saw how Oklahoma was setting up. Still, as badly as they played, Bama had the ball at the end, with a possible chance to tie (longshot though).

Not disappointed with the OSU loss either. For ten years I lived close enough to Death Valley in Clemson to hear the roar of the crowd on Saturdays. Very pleased with how the Orange Bowl turned out and would have been so no matter the outcome. I was much happier that KState b!tch-slapped Michigan a few days earlier!

One thing did surprise me last night though. At the end of the game, Clemson had a 2nd and 28 with 31 seconds left to go. I was shocked that Meyer decided to take two timeouts back to Columbus. I would have called both timeouts after the 2nd and 3rd downs and at least give the punt team a chance for a return. It seemed to me like Meyer just gave up. While it may have only been a one-in-a-hundred chance, I was really disappointed in OSU not fighting it out until the final buzzer. I mean, look what one second did for Auburn.