BV6 - Red Packets

SlyFrog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A couple of still new players trying to keep learning vehicles and guns (okay, it's been over a year, but we have the memories of gnats, so we'll always be new).

We decided on Red Packets, from Beyond Valor.

A vehicle heavy scenario, with a bit of infantry (the Germans get an elite half squad with a LMG, the Russians three first line squads with motorcycles and a leader).

The Soviets have the material decision making in this one (at least in the beginning), as they can win in one of two ways. They can either exit 18 VP worth from the opposite end of the board on which they start, or they can destroy all three German vehicles. The map is bisected by a stream, with two bridges across.

The German player moves first, and I rolled the PSW 231 (8 Rad) down the northern side of the board via road, crossing the bridge and covering the long stretch of road. The SPW 251/10 also went down the north side, attempting to cover the PSW 231. The Pz IIIF, with its tracks permitting it to move more easily off road, covered the middle and southern approach, which did not have a road network and was a more urban/wooded mix.

The Soviets tried to go north, leading the way with the IAG-10-AA (probably a poor decision, as it is unable to fire its MA through the forward facing, and as it is unarmored, making it the softest Soviet vehicle target, not a good choice for the spearhead). The PSW 231 hit it before it got even a quarter of the way from the Soviet map edge, turning it into a burning wreck.

The Soviets struck back in the next few turns, however. The aggressive forward deployment of the PSW 231 spelled its doom, as three Soviet BA-6s changed course and moved around it, hitting it from the rear and causing it to join its previous victim as a fiery inferno.

Like one of those pre-school drawings of a small fish eating a smaller fish, each in turn being eaten by the next larger fish, two of the three BA-6s were themselves dispatched by the SPW 251/10 that was guarding the PSW 231 from further west, leaving one of the two as a flaming hulk. The final BA-6 of the platoon fired back, wrecking the SPW 251/10.

So, about four-five turns in, the situation was mixed - the Soviets, with only three BA-6s (still in two separate platoons) and three motorcycle squads, had lost their chance to exit 18 VP (per our calculations, 3 VPs left for each of the three vehicles, plus 2 VPs for each of the three squads plus 1 VP for the 8-0 leader gave them 16 VPs total, meaning if they exited everything at that point, they would still lose).

So the Soviets turned on the final German vehicle, which fortunately (for me) was the Pz IIIF. After having to tortuously navigate burning wrecks while in platoon movement, eating up tons of movement points, the Soviet vehicles swung around to engage the Pz IIIF, which destroyed the last of the first platoon of three that had survived to that point. After that, it was two BA-6s against one Pz IIIF, with the infantry milling about.

Realizing again that my tracked and non-platoon movement gave me a mobility advantage over the BA-6s (particularly when the roads were now covered with burning wrecks), rather than engage further, the Pz IIIF instead made a run for the Soviet side of the map. Gunning the engines (and passing my first ever ASL Bog Check), the Pz IIIF burst down into and up out of the stream, through the orchards in the middle of the map, and made a dash for freedom.

Yes, I was running away like a little girl.

Valiant Soviet motorcycle riders swarmed around, attempting to get close enough to get into CC, but the Pz IIIF machine guns mowed them down leaving more horrible carnage on the roadways.

Unfortunately, there were too many turns to run forever, and I did get cornered in the final turn. Fortunately, the flight had allowed me to set up in an extremely advantageous corridor of buildings , meaning that I was effectively able to take point blank pot shots at the BA-6s as they rounded the corner. The German armor leader (who was in the Pz IIIF, naturally) came in handy, as the first roll missed (keeping ROF), while the next two hit on the button, causing two more final, spectacular explosions.

A German victory by a narrow margin, and a fun game for both of us.

P.S. My inexperienced (like me) Soviet counterpart did not really know what to do with the infantry on motorcycles, and probably lost some momentum by dismounting them early and moving into buildings with the infantry. One possible use I saw for them was to make a mad run for the other edge of the board (given their extremely high movement rate). My opponent did make a game effort to remount and run down my tanks (after it had reached the point where it was not possible to win a Soviet victory by VP exiting), leading to what we could only imagine was some inverse Indiana Jones-like road chase, running after the Pz IIIF, only to have the poor, heroic Soviet troops mowed down by repeated German Pz IIIF machine gun fire.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So, about four-five turns in, the situation was mixed - the Soviets, with only three BA-6s (still in two separate platoons) and three motorcycle squads, had lost their chance to exit 18 VP (per our calculations, 3 VPs left for each of the three vehicles, plus 2 VPs for each of the three squads plus 1 VP for the 8-0 leader gave them 16 VPs total, meaning if they exited everything at that point, they would still lose).
The BA-6s are worth five if they exit: one for vehicle, one for MA, one for armor, and two for the inherent crew.

JR

SlyFrog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The BA-6s are worth five if they exit: one for vehicle, one for MA, one for armor, and two for the inherent crew.

JR
Well I'll be damned, you're right. I wish it spelled that out better (but admittedly, it does say "crew" and the example for Russian vehicles talks about crews).

I'm going to resist my typical urge to go into a depressive funk for days because we botched something important that heavily affected the outcome of the game.

As an aside, this is why I often resist (though I try to play speedily) the, "Don't take forever to look up and study the rules, just play," line of reasoning. Too many "little things" (like remembering, for purposes of victory points, that those vehicles have imaginary crew counters embedded in them) have too many big effects on the game if you don't catch them.

We tried to play "faster" this game, and butchered a pretty important issue because of it.

Of course, I can not tell you whether I would have caught it even had I taken more time.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm going to resist my typical urge to go into a depressive funk for days because we botched something important that heavily affected the outcome of the game.
You had better get used to playing the rules wrong. I've been playing pretty steadily for more than 15 years. Last week I used SFF IFE from a vehicle, only to discover in a discussion here that it's not allowed. Oops. Fortunately that's also covered in the rules: A.2 ;-) Play your best game, get better, and enjoy playing, because that's what the game is about.

JR

SlyFrog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't mind missing small things.

But when I miss something that fundamentally changes the game (for example, the calculation of victory points), it can feel like a large waste of time.

There needs to be a balance between taking it easy and enjoying the flow of the game and feeling like I have the rules down enough so that I am not botching the fundamentals of the game.

Because honestly, if I do poorly enough with the rules (or if they are incomprehensible enough to me), I can create the same narrative playing with army men, without worry about the game part of it. :)

SlyFrog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nothing to get in a funk about there!
Well, I was exaggerating a little bit. It does annoy me, but not for days.

When something like this happens, I usually just go outside and burn a mint copy of A Bridge Too Far. The fire and destruction releases the inner demons, and I immediately feel better. :bite:

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As the Russians in Red Packets I like to push the armored cars and motorcycles across the left-side (Russian POV) bridge, dismount and advance towards exit or killing vehicles little by little. 2 other armored cars get hull down in the center of the board to control the center and guard the flank.

Not sure it's a solid strategy, since the only time I played, the German player exposed his vehicles so gratuitously that I had killed them all before the infantry attack had developed! Oh well, a good scenario to replay, goes fast & fun.

I have had a hard time coming up with a reasonable seeming German plan for this one though. Any thoughts out there?

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Red Packets is an excellent scenario! One other tip on rules challenges. Get in the habit of writing down questions as you play to research later.

Another habit is to play some games at you local ASL gathering where you can ask questions of others as you go. Hint, hint. : )

Cheers!

SlyFrog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another habit is to play some games at you local ASL gathering where you can ask questions of others as you go. Hint, hint. : )

Cheers!
Heh! Shy and retiring social butterfly that I am, I have not gotten back there, but need to do so. I'll try to make sure that at least one of you guys is treated to a face to face sessions of my blank stares and repeated, "Wait, whats?," in the near future. :)