BG Counters 31: KV-220, SU-100Y, & SU-14-2

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
16,056
Reaction score
1,878
Location
Aberdeen , Scotland
Country
llUnited Kingdom
89968997
26a KV-220:
Development of KV-220 on the basis of the KV heavy tank started in the summer of 1940. A prototype was built on December 5. Unlike other KV modifications, the tank featured an elongated hull, additional support roller, enhanced armour (100 mm), and a new turret with the 85 mm F-30 gun. In the fall of 1941, production of the KV-1 was discontinued. The vehicle received the mass-produced KV turret and was sent to the frontlines.
See also Russian Vehicle Notes Note M.
 

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
16,056
Reaction score
1,878
Location
Aberdeen , Scotland
Country
llUnited Kingdom
89988999
36a SU-100Y:
In December 1939, the Northwest Command of the Red Army requested that the N°185 factory develop a vehicle based on the T-100. The vehicle had not only to operate as a self-propelled gun, but also to be used to lay bridges, transport explosives, and recover tanks destroyed or damaged on the battlefield. During the development of this vehicle, the ABTU proposed to mount the large, high velocity 152 mm cannon on the T-100 in order to give it the capacity to destroy bunkers and other strong fixed fortifications. The plant manager at N°185 proposed to stop the development of the prototype to use T-100 as a self-propelled gun armed with the 100 and 130 mm naval guns. This idea was accepted and on January 8, 1940, the plans of the T-100-X were finalized and sent to the Izhorskyi factory. The T-100-X had a box-shaped fighting compartment and was equipped with the 130 mm B-13 naval gun. For mobility, kept the torsion bar suspension system, as was the trend in modern tanks of the day. During the development of the prototype the shape of the fighting compartment was modified to reduce ammunition loading times. The new design was the SU-100Y (sometimes called T-100 there). The designs of the SU-100Y were sent to the Izhorskyi factory on February 24, 1940 and assembly began on the first of the month. The self-propelled gun was tested for the first time on March 14. As the Winter War was finished, the SU-100Y never saw combat.[2]
During the Winter War it was proposed to modernize the T-100 with a more powerful armament, the 152 mm M-10 gun, able to destroy concrete structures, particularly in dragon's teeth, a common anti-tank measure amongst Europe's fixed fortifications during World War II. A new turret to accommodate the 152 mm howitzer was implemented around March 1940. This new model was designated T-100-Z. However this project was abandoned because of KV-1 and the 152 mm equipped KV-2 tanks were superior. In April 1940, the N°185 factory proposed a self-propelled gun (prototype 103) for coastal defence based on the T-100 and armed with the B-13 130 mm naval gun installed in a rotating turret with three 7.62 mm machine-guns. This project never went beyond the drawing boards.
When work was stopped on the T-100 project, the SU-100Y was transported to Kubinka in the summer of 1940. In November 1941, at the most critical moment of battle in the suburbs of Moscow, the SU-100Y, together with the 152 mm-gun-armed experimental SU-14 and SU-14-1, was pressed into service in an Independent Artillery Division for Special Duties. Further information of the combat record of the unit has not been made known.
† The 130L gun has a To Kill number of 33 as indicated by "TK#=33" on the counter.
See also Russian Vehicle Notes Note M
 

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
16,056
Reaction score
1,878
Location
Aberdeen , Scotland
Country
llUnited Kingdom
90009001
36b SU-14-2:
The SU-14 was a prototype Soviet heavy self-propelled gun built on a T-35 chassis. The original prototype mounted a 203 mm howitzer M1931 (B-4); the SU-14-1 variant of 1936 carried a 152 mm gun M1935 (Br-2) which could fire 48.9 kilogram shells at ranges up to 25 km. Its armour was 20 to 50 mm thick. It never entered serial production.
Work on the vehicle began in 1933, with a prototype built a year later. In 1935, several disadvantages were reworked and another prototype was built and designated SU-14-1. In February 1937, the prototypes successfully completed a series of performance tests. It was expected to go into production the following year. However, in 1937, Chief Designer - P. N. Siachyntov was removed from the program, thus halting further development of the project.
In 1940, in connection with plans to use them during the war with Finland, armour was added to the two existing prototypes and they were redesignated SU-14-2. They later took part in the defense of Moscow in 1941 alongside the prototype SU-100Y. The first one (the original SU-14 prototype) was scrapped in 1960. The second prototype, as an SU-14-2, is on display at the Tank Museum in Kubinka.
See also Russian Vehicle Notes Note M.
 

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
8,389
Reaction score
3,372
Location
Dublin
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Again, as in another thread, great information.
 
Top