Berzerk questions

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A leader and squads are fired upon in OG. The leader rolls a 2 and subsequent HoB becomes berzerk. The squads with him must make a TC to determine if they too become berzerk. One squad breaks due to failing a 1MC. The broken squad and 2 half squads become berzerk, but one squad does not. The berzerk squads must use their remaining MF to charge the nearest enemy unit in LOS, but when does the non-berzerk squad move? Before or after the berzerk squads and leader or is he stuck in the street?

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Typically, when a moving stack splits (which you are usually free to do: A4.2), you may complete the individual moves in whatever order you prefer. However, a Berserker charge is listed on the ASOP as occurring before other movement, so I am pretty sure the Zerkies go first in your example.

[Addendum]: I just found this Q&A to reinforce the above:

A15.431 & D9.31
A 9-1, 8-3-8wDC, 8-3-8wFT stacked with a PzVG begin their move by Armor Assaulting along a road. After spending 4 MFs and 6 MPs, they are DFFed upon and the result is the following: a 1-4-9 is generated and the rest of the Infantry goes berserk. The target is chosen and the rest of the move is done. Since they are moving in a stack, can they continue the Armor Assault? If not, are the Berserkers obligated to do a charge before the hero and PzVG complete the Armor Assault?​
A. No, the Berserkers must charge immediately. Yes.​

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A leader and squads are fired upon in OG. The leader rolls a 2 and subsequent HoB becomes berzerk. The squads with him must make a TC to determine if they too become berzerk. One squad breaks due to failing a 1MC. The broken squad and 2 half squads become berzerk, but one squad does not. The berzerk squads must use their remaining MF to charge the nearest enemy unit in LOS, but when does the non-berzerk squad move? Before or after the berzerk squads and leader or is he stuck in the street?
The stack splits up and the berserk units charge. There is a Q&A that suggests the berserk units move first. The unit that did not go berserk can move after the berserk charge.

JR

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. As a follow up: when the berzerkers enter the defending units hex, they get fired on at TPBF, possibly halved for SFF. Do they get the benefits of the defender's terrain (i.e. a building)? My guess is yes, but just want confirmation.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. As a follow up: when the berzerkers enter the defending units hex, they get fired on at TPBF, possibly halved for SFF. Do they get the benefits of the defender's terrain (i.e. a building)? My guess is yes, but just want confirmation.
They get the TEM ("plus" FFNAM: -1)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As above the berserk units are eligible for TEM for the terrain they are in as per the normal rules (e.g. they might not get the TEM on a snap shot, but defenders can't make a snap shot on a unit entering their hex, and a wreck will not provide TEM for in in-hex attack). The berserk units might not be fired on as they enter if the defending unit(s) have no weapons (e.g. leader w/o SW) and/or is a vehicle/PRC (only Infantry are required to fire, A8.312) and/or is in Melee.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Also note, that if the defenders are in a Foxhole, the Zerkers must first enter the hex (and be subject to fire - at this point without Foxhole TEM) and then spend MF to enter the Foxhole if still able to do so (and thus possibly be again subject to fire - with Foxhole TEM at that point).

von Marwitz

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Also note, that if the defenders are in a Foxhole, the Zerkers must first enter the hex (and be subject to fire - at this point without Foxhole TEM) and then spend MF to enter the Foxhole if still able to do so (and thus possibly be again subject to fire - with Foxhole TEM at that point).
But note also that entering the foxhole is not a requirement - the berserk unit can remain "outside" of it.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
But note also that entering the foxhole is not a requirement - the berserk unit can remain "outside" of it.
Indeed!

Reading it up again, I noticed the subtle differences between A15.43 and B25.232:
Berserkers are not required to continue to charge into entrenchments after entering their location while units that are part of a Human Wave or Banzai Charge must do so.

von Marwitz